Should I get the WR400 4.2g IMS tank?

2 replies to this topic
  • 2000WR400

Posted May 18, 2000 - 01:05 PM

I see there is a 4.2g tank that IMS makes for the WR, do I want this one or do I want the 3.3g one for the YZ400? I wnat this seat/tank switch that makes "loads" of differance. Please help, now I'm confused.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KerryT

Posted May 18, 2000 - 01:25 PM

I have the IMS 4.2 gallon gas tank. It's wider, taller and lower than the stock one. All in all much bigger. Your hand guards might hit the tank on top but they can be trimmed to work. It's a good fit and you really don't notice the difference when riding except that your legs are wider apart and it is a little steeper seat to tank and pushes you back just a bit. But that's me, and before the WR I had a XR650L with a 5 gallon tank!

Final thought: If you need the range it's great, but, now I ride with guys that all have a stock gas range of about 70 miles or so, so I switched back to the stock tank because it is smaller and we will all run out of gas and walk back to the truck together. But if you don't need the range get the smaller yz 3.3 gallon.
That's my opinion.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 18, 2000 - 02:37 PM

Dear Mr.2000WR400, I have the 4 gallon IMS tank also, I go on 1000mi rides with friends and I have to have it. I take it off when I go on day rides. This tank is HUGE, Its like riding a bull at the rodeo, trust me... I think you're looking for the 3.3/yz seat combo from IMS. Their real nice!! See ya, Dan

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.