06 YZ450 Bent Header - replacement?

17 replies to this topic
  • Merc1212

Posted July 16, 2007 - 09:39 AM

I bent my stock Ti header quite badly (imagine pinching a pop can in the middle) and it needs to be replaced. I'd like to stay away from another stock one due to how easily it bent the first time (low side slide in sand).

Are there any inexpensive stainless headers out there that will fit the stock muffler without adjustment?

Thanks!

• rideawn

Posted July 16, 2007 - 11:47 AM

Did you try the freeze technique to see if it can be saved? If not, check for YFZ450 (quad) header fitment for your '06.

• Merc1212

Posted July 16, 2007 - 12:07 PM

I have considered trying the freeze technique, but without a chest freezer, I think it may be difficult to pull off and on top of that I fear the pipe is too far gone for it to work. I will likely try it, but only once I have a replacement in hand. The bike does still works reasonably well in its current shape (lost some low end, but its too fast for me to start with :thumbsup: ) and I don't want to be without a bike for too long if I mess it up and crack open the pipe as it can be slow to get parts in Canada.

So do you know that a YZF450 will fit, or are you just suggesting it as a possible fit?

I was thinking the GYTR one may fit, but I can't find posts with a yay or nay.

Thanks for your help!

• KJ790

Posted July 16, 2007 - 02:08 PM

If it is an 06 or older 450 then a YFZ header will fit it. The YFZ header is the same as the stock YZF header except it is stainless. If it is an 07 I believe yamaha changed the angle of the engine and had to change the pipe slightly. A YFZ header may still work on an 07, but I'm not sure. A stainless powerbomb will work and it will give you performance gains, unlike any other header.

• grayracer513

Posted July 16, 2007 - 02:27 PM

The '06 is when they changed the cylinder angle. The '07 had a different header diameter at the mid pipe joint.

• KJ790

Posted July 16, 2007 - 02:40 PM

The '06 is when they changed the cylinder angle. The '07 had a different header diameter at the mid pipe joint.

Sorry, I forgot about the diameter difference. The angle difference doesn't matter appearently since all the aftermarket companies show one header for the YZ450 from 03-06 and a different part number for 07-08.

• bleetham

Posted July 16, 2007 - 02:42 PM

I have a 2006 YZ 450F and replaced the stock header with the FMF stainless steel powerbomb. It did give me a crisper low end and seems pretty durable. I believe it can be used with the stock muffler, but I'm not positive since I also put on a FMF Q2 at the same time.

• bleetham

Posted July 16, 2007 - 02:47 PM

I have a 2006 YZ 450F and replaced the stock header with the FMF stainless steel powerbomb. It did give me a crisper low end and seems pretty durable. I believe it can be used with the stock muffler, but I'm not positive since I also put on a FMF Q2 at the same time.

Sorry, I forgot about the diameter difference. The angle difference doesn't matter appearently since all the aftermarket companies show one header for the YZ450 from 03-06 and a different part number for 07-08.

I also thought that but when my first header from FMF arrived it wouldn't fit. I called FMF and there is a part number for 2006 that is different from the previous 450's. I returned the part and when the one designed specifically for 2006 came it fit perfectly.

• KJ790

Posted July 16, 2007 - 02:59 PM

I bought a powerbomb that was marked as fiting an 03-06 YZ450. It fit fine for me. I've been running it for a year and it doesn't leak or anything. Was yours the SX version or the MX version? That might be the difference.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2012 450 xc-w

Posted July 16, 2007 - 03:09 PM

Try the freeze fix. Low risk of spliting or otherwise damaging your header. Most likely will work. Fill header a couple of inches past problem area and put in freezer overnight. Standard refrigerator freezer will work.

• walent215

Posted July 16, 2007 - 03:50 PM

did the freezer trick on mine which was dinged pretty bad.i filled the whole header up,plugged one end with my wash plug and put in the freezer upright so the water wouldnt come out.it took about three x and it popped it out a little each time.

• grayracer513

Posted July 16, 2007 - 03:57 PM

The angle difference is real, but it was only about 5 degrees.

• KJ790

Posted July 16, 2007 - 04:17 PM

The angle difference is real, but it was only about 5 degrees.

Yes, I know that the angle difference is real, but a header for an 05 will work on an 06 without issue (or at least it has for me for quite some time).

• Merc1212

Posted July 17, 2007 - 07:33 AM

Thanks a bunch for all the replies guys - I'm going to give the YFZ header a try (found quite a few cheap ones online already). Hopefully the 5 deg of difference won't give me too much trouble.

I'd like to get a full system (I was thinking Dr.D) but money is tight right now so I'm going to wait (damn that wedding!).

Marc

• bleetham

Posted July 17, 2007 - 07:53 AM

When I put the 03-05 powerbomb on my 06 it would barely fit, it actually rubbed up against the hose going into the waterpump housing. I could have possibly made it work but I was worried about it melting hoses and diminishing the cooling capacity of the system. It was the motocross version of the header, no the SX. Once I called FMF and got the 2006 version it fit great.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 17, 2007 - 10:41 AM

These guys can fix anything bent, bruised or broken

http://www.piperepair.com/

• Merc1212

Posted July 18, 2007 - 06:19 AM

Well I found a new YFZ pipe for $35 -shipped- to Canada on ebay. If it fits, it'll definitively be the cheapest fix short of messing with torches or the freezer (which I will give a shot as soon as this new one comes in - and I finish eating whats in my freezer :thumbsup:.

Pipe repair place sounds like a good option, but being in Canada, the shipping and hassle may not be worth it.

I'll try to remember to update on the fit once it comes in.

Thanks again!

• Merc1212

Posted July 30, 2007 - 04:18 PM

Well I got the YFZ450 pipe on the bike, but it turns out that it is in fact different. The pipe is a little shorter, and while it does fit, it sits much lower and dangerously close (1mm) to the rubber pipe from the rad to the water pump. If I could manage to bend it upwards somewhat it would be ok, but bending these things isn't exactly easy without the right tools.

So I'm trying the freezer trick on the old pipe but it doesn't seem to be working. Two overnight trips in the freezer and no change. I'm not plugging the ends - anyone know if it makes a difference?

Thanks!

Marc

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.