7 replies to this topic

Posted May 16, 2000 - 02:25 PM

I finally got my 00 WR to idle with YZ timing I have a DSP pipe air box lid removed and I had to go to a 52 pilot to stop the back firing on deacceleration I have a little sputering at 1\3 throttle it may be the dvr needle which I have in the 5th clip position with a 180 main this is quite a bit off of the 48 pilot and 3rd or 4th clip position that most of you recomended I have a dvp on order any thoughts on my set up would be great. Im in Canada around the Great Lakes about a 1000 feet above sea level. THANKS

• Clark_Mason

Posted May 16, 2000 - 03:27 PM

When I richen everything up to the point where the minor poping on decelleration is completely eliminated it is too rich and I loose snappy throttle resopnse. I'm running a 48PJ with 1.25 turns on the fuel screw a DVP #4 and a 182MJ. This is with WB CF Promeg and 15disks, and FMF PC IV-2. It pops on decelleration especially when comming down from WOT but response is excellent. 99WR400 with YZ timing. I use this jetting from 800 to 4000 ft. altitude.

• James_Dean

Posted May 16, 2000 - 03:52 PM

Your 1/3 throttle sputter will not be cleaned up by the DVP alone. The clip position should be moved to #4 or #3. Same as Clark said for the DVP. The DVP is richer on the straight part and it's taper starts a little lower, after that they are identical.

I also found the #50 too rich and went back to a #48 on my 00WR400 which may figure into this also. (WR timing, stock pipe baffle out)
James Dean

Posted May 16, 2000 - 05:49 PM

I started with a 48 pilot and I couldn't get it to idle it backfired loudly on deacceleration and my plug was white if I let it just kept it running at low rpms (it wouldnt idle) then I went to a 50 pilot and when I went 3 turns out on the screw it started to idle but still popped quite badly so I then went to the 52 2 and a 1\4 turns out and it idles it still pops but not so bad unless from WOP so I just dont understand why my bike seems so lean to begin with and other thoughts? Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mitch_from_Oz

Posted May 16, 2000 - 05:55 PM

Hey there Chris,

I have the DSP pipe and header and all the bits and pieces removed. I am running the WR pin on the 4th clip, 48 pilot and 160 main and fule screw 2 to 2.5 turns out.

It runs perfectly at the same sea level as yourself......

• Clark_Mason

Posted May 16, 2000 - 07:46 PM

I suspect a air leak somewhere. Kinda sounds like Harry in Oz when he was running so rich and found a cracked hose on his hot start circuit. I'm kinda stumped unless there is an air leak somewhere getting into the intake tract or the carby.

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted May 16, 2000 - 07:48 PM

Good call Clarke.

I did not think of that.

• James_Dean

Posted May 16, 2000 - 07:49 PM

This sounds like a possible vacuum leak somewhere. See Clarks comments under "Hey Clark". Maybe check the float level, something doesn't sound right... anybody else using a #52 pilot jet???

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.