Headlamp

7 replies to this topic
  • ciderking

Posted July 16, 2007 - 05:45 AM

Hi Guys,
This is the first of many stupid questions so please bear with me. I've bought a 99 WR400. The previous owner removed the h/lamp as he used it off road only. I now need to replace it with something that gives decent light as I'll use it a lot at night :thumbsup: I'm going to fit an Acerbis Cyclopes. I thought this was a simple matter of connecting it up and away I go but..... I notice the original plug for the bulb only has 2 wires which I assume means its only wired for a dipped light. That isn't a big problem but now I've been told that the altenator and voltage regulator needs to be upgraded as the standard set up will not runn two 55w bulbs. When I did a search on the site I saw a diode mod. Now I'm really confued :thumbsup: Can somebody please shed some light (forgive the pun) on the subject ?:busted:

tim

• tntmo

Posted July 16, 2007 - 03:14 PM

The WR400 stator (alternator) doesn't put out a lot of wattage. The best upgrade is to install a WR426 stator. I don't know the numbers, but it's a healthy jump in watts and should allow you to run the lights you want.

• ciderking

Posted July 17, 2007 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for that Tntmo. Do I only need the stator ?

tim

• ciderking

Posted July 25, 2007 - 08:21 AM

Will the stator from any year WR426 fit ?

tim

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Solo

Posted July 25, 2007 - 09:44 AM

The 2000 WR400 stator is the same as the 426. Yamaha upgraded it in 2000.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted July 25, 2007 - 02:31 PM

If you use a stock 400-426-450 headlight (there are a couple on ebay right now)you have good quality lighting and it will go right on with no modsto anything.thumbsup:
Jim

• ciderking

Posted July 26, 2007 - 12:19 AM

Reckon my luck may be in ! I've already bought an acerbis cyclopes lamp. I went to wire it last night and everything seems to be working fine. Its very dim on tickover with both lamps on but when the bike is on the move it seems to be fine. Thanks for all the advice guys

tim

• Gadsen

Posted July 26, 2007 - 05:48 PM

Hi Guys,
This is the first of many stupid questions so please bear with me. I've bought a 99 WR400. The previous owner removed the h/lamp as he used it off road only. I now need to replace it with something that gives decent light as I'll use it a lot at night :crazy: I'm going to fit an Acerbis Cyclopes. I thought this was a simple matter of connecting it up and away I go but..... I notice the original plug for the bulb only has 2 wires which I assume means its only wired for a dipped light. That isn't a big problem but now I've been told that the altenator and voltage regulator needs to be upgraded as the standard set up will not runn two 55w bulbs. When I did a search on the site I saw a diode mod. Now I'm really confued :excuseme: Can somebody please shed some light (forgive the pun) on the subject ?:cry:

tim

They only run the high beam and originally, they were 35 watts (high or low beam) and you might just try it first. It might work as is.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.