Do these WR400s have a rev limiter?

5 replies to this topic
  • 2000WR400

Posted May 16, 2000 - 07:15 AM

I have removed the air filter lid and the baffle is out. When I really get on the bike hard in 1st-3rd gear it seems to hit some kind of a limiter, could this be a rev limiter? I guess I never really hit it the rev limiter before I removed these two things, does is just get there ALOT faster or is there something wrong?

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 16, 2000 - 08:07 AM

My 99 DOES have a rev limiter. I thought my main jet was off. But it sounds as if it my rev limiter. Other than my street bikes, this is my first 4 stroke race bike. I only raced 2 strokes prior to this.

Just short shift your bike and torque your way through life!

------------------
99 WR

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted May 16, 2000 - 09:06 PM

I had the same problem with my year 2000 WR, especially after I rolled the exhaust cam to the YZ spec. It would rev to the moon while spinning the rear wheel. My solution, and I can't recommend this for tight trail use, was to go to a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket. Made a world of difference, but now it's a handful in the nasty. A cheap way to stay off the rev limiter, but not the answer. I'm installing a 10oz flywheel weight (I've had it for 3 weeks now, no time to install yet) and hope this is the fix.

[This message has been edited by Ron in SoCal (edited 05-16-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan

Posted May 16, 2000 - 09:10 PM

Did you shave down your throttle stop or remove it completely?

When I got my 1999 WR, I removed the throttle stop completely and my bike acted like it had a rev limiter. When I shaved down the throttle stop as per Baja Designs, it revved to the moon. If you have a 2000 WR, you need to replace your stock throttle stop with the YZ426 throttle stop. It's only a few bucks.

Bryan...

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 16, 2000 - 11:10 AM

Bryan,
Will the YZ throttle stop work on my "99? This is just in case this is my problem also.

• Matt_Porritt

Posted May 16, 2000 - 02:00 PM

The YZ/WRs have a rev limiter at 11,500rpm.
They also have a neutral switch that lowers the revlimiter to around 4,500rpm while in neutral to pass stationary sound tests.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.