corner fast without using clutch ?

4 replies to this topic
  • Henry

Posted May 14, 2000 - 11:29 PM

Hi guys, I need some advice for this, how can I shoot out of corner fast without using too much clutch.Because I rode 2 strokes before changing to a 4 strokes.
I know this is bad on the clutch, especially on a thumper! :)

Thank you guys! :D
Regards

• Matt_Porritt

Posted May 15, 2000 - 12:08 AM

Hi guys, I need some advice for this, how can I shoot out of corner fast without using too much clutch.Because I rode 2 strokes before changing to a 4 strokes.I know this is bad on the clutch, especially on a thumper!

The trick to cornering on one of these thumpers is to keep momentum up.
You can't ride it like a 2st through the corners where you almost stop, pivot and clutch it out.
Its easier to take a wider, faster line on the 4st and its easier on the clutch also.
Also a gear taller may be easier to 'grunt' your way out.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

[This message has been edited by Matt Porritt (edited 05-15-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mitch_from_Oz

Posted May 15, 2000 - 02:51 PM

Three tips I can suggest to corner quickly without hurting the clutch.

1. Tip the bike into the corner, not yourself. This has the effect of forcing weight down throught the centre of the bike and puching the tires into the ground
2.Pressure the Outside footpeg, this helps push the rear tire into the ground.
3. Weight Shift, ride it like a flat tracker. When dropping into a sitting position into a turn, drop on the outside edge of the seat. As you do this, carry your outside elbow high to keep the bike centred

Everything else will fall into place. But, as Matt mentioned, keep ytour corner speed high and try and avoid the tight inside line that requires a switch back.... Above all, lots of practise...

Mitch

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 15, 2000 - 04:15 PM

That wouldn't be Doug Henry, would it? We should be asking you how to turn.

• Henry

Posted May 15, 2000 - 06:55 PM

Hi guys
Thank for your advices!!
Think I really gotta practise hard on this!

Thank again! :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.