YZ timed my 00 WR400

3 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 14, 2000 - 02:14 PM

Well, I finally did it while checking my valve clearances. I am happy with it (I think). I can hardly ride it because of my sprained ankle which I can't even put on the peg yet, so I rode with it hanging off the side. I noticed it reved quicker and spun the rear tire more easily. More snap and less traction now. I think I like it though. Didn't really notice any low end loss. The jetting seems to be good with 180 main 48 pilot and can't remember the screw setting. I am at sea level to 1000 ft. No popping or backfiring. Little less engine braking. I have the Big Gun oversized system with airbox cover removed and no throttle stop (Canadian) Too loud so I am going to get a quiter core. I just have a couple of questions which might sound stupid, but would like peace of mind. I advanced the left cog (when looking from the shifter side) on tooth clockwise (right) Is this correct? I am sure it is but it is lingering in the back of my head. I am thinking of going with the superquiet core (Currently have the competition core) How is this going to effect power (ie less snap, less low,mid, top?) I don't know what to expect. How will I have to change jetting if at all. Go leaner or richer and where? The competition core Big Gun Silencer is redicilously loud. Louder that any YZ I have heard by far. So just want to let you guys know. Thanks for your guys help, Marco

• MotoGreg

Posted May 14, 2000 - 08:48 PM

Yes you did it correctly but you didn't advance the cam, you retarded it. The motor, when looking at it from the shifter side, spins counter-clockwise, so you retarded the exhaust cam. The WR has the cam advanced so that it opens too early... while the mixture is still buring, pushing the piston down, the valve opens and spoils the show.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 14, 2000 - 09:49 PM

I am really confused now. The article in the Technical page told me to advance the exhaust by one tooth clockwise. Which is what I thought I did. Do I have a YZ timed WR or a retarded WR now. It feels fine, but now I won't sleep. Please help me out. Marco

• MotoGreg

Posted May 14, 2000 - 09:53 PM

If you turned the exhaust cam (the front one) one tooth clock-wise then you did it right. The article that said to "advance it" was wrong, most people automatically associate advance with more power and they just said that without actually thinking about what you really are doing.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.