New bike and 17 hours work, just because I am fussy !

6 replies to this topic
  • RodH

Posted May 13, 2000 - 02:41 AM

Just wondering who else goes to extreme lenghts when they buy a new dirt bike ?
I have spent 17hours this weekend(not to mention 4 hours last weekend)
just to set it up and get it how I want it. But this does include a lot of stuff that I have put on.
Braided brake line (it's so touchy, that it's deadly!)
UFO "YZ style" rear guard, with light under
UFO fork guards in WR Blue.
Renthals
Bash plate
frame guards
tapered header and E-Series
14t front sprocket
Trottle Jockey YZ426 graphics and seat cover
Stainless steel allen key bolts to replace a **** load of hex head bolts
clear vinyl to protect the plastics (this is very time consuming, and I estimate that there was about 4hours in this)

I did 45kms on it in standard form, so I could then go over all the nuts and bolts, plus check spoke tension etc. After I set it all up how I wanted it, I went for a ride, and it was perfect, it felt like the way my old 99 WR felt, and heaps different from standard.

I have part of what I have done on my web site, but photo's are not there yet. I will also have a few tips that I would like to share. eg: I always wrap 1 1/2 rounds of the electrical insulation tape around the bars under the clutch perch and front brake master cylinder. This allows them to spin in the event of a fall, and it will almost always stop you levers from breaking

------------------
R o d. H. Canberra, Australia400 Thumpers Australia
2000 WR400FL
White Brother E-Series Tapered header, Devol Rad. guards, Renthals, WB frame guards, UFO rear guard and fork guards, Fastline braided brake hose.

• JamesD

Posted May 13, 2000 - 08:57 PM

I just got mine a little while back and I've spent a lot of time getting it the way I want it.

Acerbis brush guards
Competition Works Frame guards
Competition Works Skid plate
Competition Works engine guards (notice a trend here?)
Renthal Bars
Pro Grip grips
Hours messing with suspension with more to come. (just bought lighter weight fork oil)

The next items on the list are a steering damper and rear disk guard.

• mcarp

Posted May 13, 2000 - 09:55 PM

I spent appx 24 hours just doing nitty gritty maintenance tasks before I rode the bike not to mention what to change after getting a eel for what I needed to change (OK, maybe I'm a slow mechanic :) ).
Thanks to a lot of riders on this site,
deciding what to do and what not really helped getting it "race" prepped has really paid off. I am very close to my idea setup, but am constantly learning about the WR.

So did you get a 2000 model then? Whaddaya think?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RodH

Posted May 14, 2000 - 02:35 AM

Having gone from a 99 WR to a 00 WR, I can say that I beleive that Yamaha is heading in the right direction. The Aus. model has the YZ426 seat, tank and radiators which give it a good feel, plus the bar position on the 00 is better for taller riders, but the best thing is the carby, it's so crisp and the carburation is excellent. It feels to have slightly better and smoother acceleration, but I doubt that there is a mickey hair in it with the 99. Also the .5kg of weight loss feels like 5kg compared to the 99 WR.

------------------
R o d. H. Canberra, Australia400 Thumpers Australia
2000 WR400FL
White Brother E-Series Tapered header, Devol Rad. guards, Renthals, WB frame guards, UFO rear guard and fork guards, Fastline braided brake hose.

• YZFWrench

Posted May 14, 2000 - 05:31 AM

When I got my YZ426 last Dec my wife, kids and neighbors were horrified to see nothing but a frame and engine sitting in my garage the day after I brought it home. I put Loctite and anti-sieze on just about every nut and bolt, regreased bearings and RTVed the airbox-boot junction. It may seem silly to strip down a brand new bike by it beats losing parts on the track/trail.

Phil
'00 YZ426

• WR400_Jay

Posted May 15, 2000 - 12:11 AM

Yup!... Spent about 20-25 hours tearing it down to the frame and the motor and getting it the way I like. I angled my pegs put on all the new goodies retimed and jetted. Torqued everything on the bike and did tons more stuff.

It takes alot of time but I feel better knowing at the end of the season I didn't wear out my bike as much as a guy who pulled it out of the box and never greased it at all. I've seen what happens to bikes like this. They got to the eternal resting place for motorcycles much faster.

------------------
00'WR400 75'Yamaha 250 enduro
White e-Series S-bend 12 discs, Yz timed, rejetted to Clark specs, throttle stop cut, lid removed, Topar Racing top clamp, Tag Metals T2 bars, Scotts damper, Devol disc guard and frame guards, lights removed, Cr routed Fastline brakeline, Acerbis Rally pro hand guards fastened to the top clamp, Gel grips Live in Southwest Ohio

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 15, 2000 - 08:48 AM

Ahhh... I remember well the first day I got my bike. I came home from work for lunch, saw my message machine was flashing....Beep! "Hey this is Larry down at Surdyke Yamaha. Your bike is in!"
Click. (now me) "Cough, Cough, yea...sniffle, this is darin, I just came home for lunch and I took my temp and Im up to 100.7 (sounds good if you throw in a tenth of a degree) I dont think Im gonna be able to make it back in. Wheezzz...hack!"
Hung up the phone jumped in the truck went down to the store, brought my bike home and was up untill 4 a.m. putting goodies on it. Went to bed, woke up 2 hours later and went riding the next day.
Oh yea, I had to use the same call in story again. This time from a pay phone in the parking lot of a gas station down the road from the riding area.
Damn, I hope my boss dosent visit this site... :)

------------------
Darin from Missouri WR400F Pro-Tapers, Applied TC, Clarke 3.3, YZ seat, Scotts Shark Fin, FMF PC IV S.A., One Industries Hannah Retro Kit, WER Steering Dampner,Pacemaker Computer, Andrews Powder Coating-painted gloss black

[This message has been edited by milkman2544 (edited 05-15-2000).]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.