Posted May 09, 2000 - 06:28 AM

ANY BODY TRY TO DUAL SPORT THERE BIKE
IN WASHINGTON STATE LATLEY?
F.Y.I. AS OF 4/26/00 WE CAN LONGER
DO THIS :)

• Bryan

Posted May 09, 2000 - 06:48 AM

John?
What are they saying you need that you don't have to make your bike street legal?
If you have to get blinkers, brake light and all the goodies in the dual sport kit from Baja Designs plus DOT approved tires, how can they turn you down?
Bryan...

[This message has been edited by Bryan (edited 05-09-2000).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 09, 2000 - 07:04 AM

Well here is the story.I got my kit
from baja designs 4/28/00 and was going
to install it last weekend.I was just about
to remove the flywheel to do the stater mod
when the phone rings.Its my friend cal he just got back from the state patrol.He got his kit before me and had put it on friday
they told him they have been directed to not
dual sport any more offroad bikes in this state per a N.T.S.B.directive on 4/26/00
BOY AM I PISSED!!!!!!!! AND SO IS CAL!
He is out $385.00 luckly i dident install
my kit yet i can get my money back he can't
thats our tax dollars at work again

• jj

Posted May 09, 2000 - 09:06 PM

John calm, calm, count to ten! <grin>

I literally just got off the phone with the WSP in Bellevue 425-649-4675. They said that they WILL still Licence any off road bike that is not stamped "not for highway use". This stamp is located on the frame or on the MSO (title). If your bike does not have this stamp anywhere then you are just fine.
Here is a list of all of the requirements;
1. DOT Tires ( I've heard the Pirelli MT21's are about the best)
2. Hi/Lo Headlight with Hi/Lo switch (the light does not have to be stamped DOT approved, they said they wouldn't look that closely)
3. 2 Mirrors
4. Tail light/Brake light (wired to your rear brake)
5. Licence plate must have a light to iluminate the plate.
6. Approved Spark arrestor
7. Electric horn (no bike horns)

Hope this helps!

JJ in WA

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 09, 2000 - 07:47 PM

Wait a minute!!!!!!!Does this mean I just wasted 7,000$!! My whole intention of buying this bike was to dual sport it.It's the only way to ride anymore.I haven't checked the frame yet, but my title has under "coments" "not eligable for road use" Does this mean I can NEVER license it for the street?Is this just for WA.state(that seems odd).I can only hope for all of us that this is really not happening.First they go after the land and now the bikes!! Does anyone else find the timing intresting with Uncle Bills GPS directive?

Originally posted by JJ:
John calm, calm, count to ten! <grin>

I literally just got off the phone with the WSP in Bellevue 425-649-4675. They said that they WILL still Licence any off road bike that is not stamped "not for highway use". This stamp is located on the frame or on the MSO (title). If your bike does not have this stamp anywhere then you are just fine.
Here is a list of all of the requirements;
1. DOT Tires ( I've heard the Pirelli MT21's are about the best)
2. Hi/Lo Headlight with Hi/Lo switch (the light does not have to be stamped DOT approved, they said they wouldn't look that closely)
3. 2 Mirrors
4. Tail light/Brake light (wired to your rear brake)
5. Licence plate must have a light to iluminate the plate.
6. Approved Spark arrestor
7. Electric horn (no bike horns)

Hope this helps!

JJ in WA

• jj

Posted May 09, 2000 - 10:35 PM

Sorry John I should have been more thorough in my explanation. Your bike frame does not say anything about on or off road use. Your title does. The WSP does not require you to have your title with you to get inspected... If they ask for it, "your bank carries the title". Do get my meaning?

Sorry!

JJ

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JamesD

Posted May 11, 2000 - 11:05 AM

I posted this on the DRZ forum but I thought I should post it here as well.
If anyone has trouble registerning their bike in California or wherever, try registering it in Vermont. They will register an out of state bike. http://users.x-press...duro/street.htm

• cujet

Posted May 14, 2000 - 02:12 PM

Freedom, this country is based on freedom! To do what? Can I still think what I want? They just outlawed jet ski's in some of my favorite areas in south Florida and they are trying to outlaw them in my town too!

So let me see, if I cannot afford a large boat or other socially acceptable hobby and I suck at golf what is left for me to do?

My point is we had better fight hard and smart for our rights.

Chris

p.s. ever wonder why many parcels of unused govt land is off limits to everyone?

• Tennessee_Thumper

Posted May 14, 2000 - 09:10 PM

cujet...Exactly!!!!The liberals are slowly bit by bit piece by piece taking our rights away.Other than riders,atver's,and boaters NOBODY seems to care.That is untill it infringes on one of their rights.Then it's usually to late.

• Harry_in_Oz

Posted May 15, 2000 - 01:54 AM

Its interesting to note that this shut it away mentality is alive in Oz. I am trying a few things. Firstly this type of conservation strategy clashes with the principles of ESD (that's Ecologically Sustainable Development)in that it fails to meet the 'optimal resource use' requirement, the 'social equity' bit or the 'meeting the needs of the present'. You should find that the US and probably most States have made commitments to ESD. I'm trying to seperate the "Environment Lobby" from the "Conservation Lobby" in my State by pushing the role of ESD on chat lines etc. I hope to have the Opposition Party in the State Parliament start debating in terms of ESD to support farmers etc. In OZ wilderness doesn't work because our plants need fire to regenerate and without it the introduced plants take over. To have fire in parks requires fire breaks and roads which only stay open if used (by bikes).
If it is a recent ruling on the Dual sport thing it probably wouldn't survive a legal challenge. What does the Blue Ribbon Coalition say?
To learn about ESD search Ecologically Sustainable Development Module 5. It is an Oz Govt site. If that doesn't work Email me.
Harry

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted May 15, 2000 - 06:43 AM

Instead of a "Million Mom March" (what a scary joke that was), how 'bout a "Million Man Moto" doing laps around the White House?

We think we have it bad now, think about how bad it would be if eco-freak GORE manages to get elected. Yikes! Hey Ray, what's the riding like up there in Canada?

• jj

Posted May 15, 2000 - 08:35 AM

HHHHHOOOOYYYYAAAAHHH!!!!

JJ in WA

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.