Shock removal

7 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 12, 2000 - 06:57 AM

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the rear shock? I am replacing the spring so any help would be appreciated.
Angel Boy

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 12, 2000 - 08:37 AM

I know that there are two bolts holding the shock on. One is at the top and the other is at the bottem. I don't know how to remove it. Do I need to take the swingarm off or should I take the rear subframe off?
Angel Boy

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 12, 2000 - 09:12 PM

subframe only

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 12, 2000 - 09:14 PM

Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for.
Angel Boy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcarp

Posted May 12, 2000 - 09:28 PM

Angel-

1.) Remove the bottom shock bolt on the linkage. 2.) Remove bottom subframe bolts and loosen the top after removing the seat (maybe tank too). 3.) Loosen the air intake clamp on the carb all the way 4.) Raise subframe up 5.) Remove the top shock bolt and it comes right out. While your there, seal the clean side of the airbox flange with hondabond4 and inspect the top shock bolt mount for cracks (not that the WR is known for this, but a smart idea. If the shock bolts are pitted or distorted in any way, replace them w/ OEM stuff.

If you haven't done any linkage/swingarm maintenance in awhile,do that too. It's not very hard-just be careful and use a torque wrench. Good luck, you'll be fine.

• mcarp

Posted May 12, 2000 - 09:30 PM

Oh yeah, the silcencer has to come off too.

• JamesD

Posted May 12, 2000 - 11:59 AM

Take off the rear master cylindar guard too. It will scratch the paint on the subframe if you don't.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 12, 2000 - 03:10 PM

Well that was a lot of information. Too awsome that so much information is available. Thank You. Shock is already done. I removed tank, seat, exhuast, and side panels. Loosened carb boot and removed top subframe bolt and loosened the bottem subframe bolts. I then bent the subframe down, and pulled the shock out of the top. One thing I didn't expect was that a spring compressor is needed in order to remove the spring. Oh well, its done and only 1 to 2 months till I will be healed enough to push the suspension to see if the springs were worth replacing. Thanks for everyones help.
Angel Boy

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.