98 WR400 coolant leaking

5 replies to this topic
  • Henry

Posted January 24, 2001 - 11:03 PM

hi all,
I know this is a known problem

but can anyone show me steps by steps of how to go about doing the repair?

what do I have to look out for?
:)

------------------
'98 WR400F, YZ timed, main:180, pilot:48, DVR needle 4th clip from top,
snorkel removed, YZ tank/seat combo, YZ front no.plate/rear fender,
DSP Ti exhaust system, Brembo front brake,steel braided hose, EZ clutch adjust perch,
Stroker billet rear brake reservoir

• Boit

Posted January 25, 2001 - 12:21 AM

Without info, we can't help ya. The more details, the better. Coolant leaking from where?...when?...etc.

• Henry

Posted January 25, 2001 - 07:56 AM

boit,
it is at the small little hole
just below the impeller I think

------------------
DSP Ti exhaust system, Brembo front brake,steel braided hose, EZ clutch adjust perch,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted January 25, 2001 - 01:03 PM

Henry,

I’ve read here that the impeller shaft was redesigned in ’99, apparently the ’98 shaft would gall, allowing coolant to leak by it. I checked the part numbers once and they are the same for both years but maybe they updated the part and not the number.

If coolant gets by the outer seal on the impeller shaft it will come out the weep hole just below the pump as you described. You will need to remove the right cover to get the impeller shaft out. Not a big job, if you want help with that just add whatever questions to this post.

You can replace the seal, however, by removing the pump cover and impeller only and prying the old seal out with a small screwdriver and sliding the new seal over the shaft (with letters facing in). With the old seal out you may be able to determine if your impeller shaft needs replacing. You should always grease the seal lip before installing a new seal.

I have an ’00, which has never seen anything but distilled water and antifreeze, and I’ve already replaced the impeller shaft (bike prob. Has 100+ hr.s), it had a groove worn in it by the seal.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Hick (edited 01-25-2001).]

• Henry

Posted January 25, 2001 - 05:23 PM

thanks for the reply,

will get back to you if I got any more question. thanks! :)

------------------

• Boit

Posted January 26, 2001 - 04:43 PM

Thanks Hick; That info might come in handy for me down the road as I haven't experienced this problem. Glad you could help... :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.