advice on a used 03 450f..

4 replies to this topic
  • bigwake

Posted July 14, 2007 - 07:58 PM

ok so i bought an 03 yz450f from some dude in orlando..the bike belonged to his son..they bought it new from the dealer when they lived in california..rode about 2 years in sandy stuff and trails tracks or super hard riding..they were not into going fast..even though they had a fast bike..when they moved here to florida 2 yrs ago..he basically let it sit in the garage..started it occasionally and mayb rode it down the street..they have kept up on routine maintanence my question is about valves..i always hear guys describing how they always checked their valve adjustments "every race" blah blah i wondered if i should do these checks? or would you think with it never being "raced" it should be fine if i dont notice anything obvious..(sounds,lack of power etc)..any help? thanx-josh

• grayracer513

Posted July 14, 2007 - 08:05 PM

It's always a good practice to check out any new-to-you bike thoroughly to get a feel for what goes on with it. Check your valves now, then once more after you,ve ridden it a few times to be sure it's holding the adjustment. If my '03 is any kind of example, they'll be fine. After that, you can check them as often as you like, but every 3-4 months should be plenty. There's absolutely no reason at all to check them every ride/race in a YZF.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigwake

Posted July 14, 2007 - 08:09 PM

alright sounds good thanx alot!..and by the way if ur changing out plastic looking for the tank shrouds in blue pref..thanx again-josh

• almostinvincible119

Posted July 14, 2007 - 11:45 PM

Hey man, i got 95 hours on my 06 and i just adjusted one intake valve. i bought a 03 new in the summer of 05 and had 89 hours on it when i sold it and it never needed adjusting. i checked them, but yami has the genisis head and its almost as reliable as a prostitute

• bigwake

Posted July 15, 2007 - 05:13 AM

thanx! sounds good to me

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.