Coolant temp guage KTM 450EXC

18 replies to this topic
  • Rider777

Posted July 14, 2007 - 06:04 PM

Anybody install one? If so, where did u buy it and post any pics to show where mounted.

I did a search and didn't find anything regarding an actual coolant temp guage for the KTM 450/525 EXC.

Thanks,
Dave

• John E Davies

Posted July 14, 2007 - 07:51 PM

Why do you want one? It's easy enough to tell when the engine is getting hot.

Jet correctly, float the ground, and install a KTM fan - the fan cycles on and off automatically and you don't have to monitor it. Once the mods are done, you never have to worry about it.

• Rider777

Posted July 15, 2007 - 05:21 AM

Why do you want one? It's easy enough to tell when the engine is getting hot.

Jet correctly, float the ground, and install a KTM fan - the fan cycles on and off automatically and you don't have to monitor it. Once the mods are done, you never have to worry about it.

Well, John, the fan from KTM is on back order ...unknown when they will be available according to my dealer.

"It's easy enough to tell when the engine is getting hot."

And how do u know when the engine is getting hot? Touch it? Smell it? Watch for coolant coming out the overflow hose? How about a small coolant temp. guage? That'd work nicely IMO :thumbsup:

Dave

• bigfatgreenbike

Posted July 15, 2007 - 06:20 AM

And how do u know when the engine is getting hot? Touch it? Smell it? Watch for coolant coming out the overflow hose? How about a small coolant temp. guage? That'd work nicely IMO :thumbsup:

Dave

Yes, you route the overflow tube so it dumps on the headpipe. When it boils, it's too hot.

Somebody makes stick-on LCD temp gauges that you put on the engine case or radiator. That's about as much additional equipment I'd rationalize to know exactly what my coolant temp it.

I have the fan, in a box. I took it off because it drained the battery. If you add a coolant recovery tank, and rejet, you shouldn't have a problem. Also, DO NOT idle your engine. If you stop for 30sec, shut it off.

I might put it back on, or fit a smaller computer case fan instead. I don't have problems with boiling now so I'm not in a hurry.

• Rider777

Posted July 15, 2007 - 02:29 PM

Yes, the coolant recovery tank is a good idea. Thanks! I've done the rest.

Dave

• Orange Mtn Goat

Posted July 16, 2007 - 08:16 AM

If you really want a temp gauge you might take a look at the Trail tech Computers http://trailtech.net/computers.html They're a good upgrade from the stock unit and the Vapor and Vector models have a coolant temp gauge.

• Rider777

Posted July 16, 2007 - 06:03 PM

If you really want a temp gauge you might take a look at the Trail tech Computers http://trailtech.net/computers.html They're a good upgrade from the stock unit and the Vapor and Vector models have a coolant temp gauge.

Thank You! For great information. I like the way the temp. sensor is threaded into the top of the right hand radiator. Smart and easy.

Some people are very helpful and you're definitely one of them!!!
Thanks Again!

Dave

• nollsp

Posted July 16, 2007 - 08:02 PM

Dave, look around for a dipstick gauge too. I swore I saw one for the RFS, but cannot find it now. Was a simple setup and looked like it would work quite well.

• Rider777

Posted July 17, 2007 - 04:04 AM

Dave, look around for a dipstick gauge too. I swore I saw one for the RFS, but cannot find it now. Was a simple setup and looked like it would work quite well.

For radiator coolant temp?

Dave

• aytonair

Posted July 17, 2007 - 04:32 AM

Ive got a trail tech vapour on my 06 450exc and the temp readout works great as does the rest of the dash (rpm, max temp etc)easy to install too good luck!

• Chickenboy369

Posted July 17, 2007 - 06:13 AM

Ive got a trail tech vapour on my 06 450exc and the temp readout works great as does the rest of the dash (rpm, max temp etc)easy to install too good luck!

Other than temp is it worth it over the stocker? The price doesn't seem bad.

• Rider777

Posted July 17, 2007 - 08:47 AM

Thanks!

Dave

• aytonair

Posted July 17, 2007 - 05:39 PM

Other than temp is it worth it over the stocker? The price doesn't seem bad.

The temp gauge was the main reason I installed the vapour but I like the shift lights, tacko and over temp lights as well I think its worth the money but each to his own!!!

• NumberCruncher

Posted July 18, 2007 - 07:32 AM

http://www.dirtrider...cuit/index.html

http://www.transworl...,634373,00.html

These are cheap enough.

Greg

• Rider777

Posted July 18, 2007 - 07:50 PM

http://www.dirtrider...cuit/index.html

http://www.transworl...,634373,00.html

These are cheap enough.

Greg

Thanks for the links Greg!

Dave

• Idaho525

Posted July 20, 2007 - 09:06 AM

Racetemp.com also makes adhesive strip gauges. Easy to see when mounted on top of the radiator.

• NumberCruncher

Posted July 20, 2007 - 04:05 PM

Racetemp.com also makes adhesive strip gauges. Easy to see when mounted on top of the radiator.

Those are the ones I was trying to find but Google didn't track it down.

Greg

• 4x4x

Posted July 21, 2007 - 12:01 AM

My Vapor was waiting for me when I got off work today so I went out to the shop and installed the bastard. Wasn't too bad or complicated on the install, just a bit time consuming with wiring four seperate leads. Shoot I might as well go into more detail cuz I would have loved to here about it before I bought mine...

Okay...first I installed the speed sensor deal. On the later model KTMs it is pretty easy. On my XC (without the stock speedo setup) I just threaded the speedo sensor into the existing threaded hole on the caliper and installed the magnet in the existing hole on the rotor. The snapring was a PITA but I just bent it out a bit with some snapring pliers and it went on eventually (I was trying not to overextend the snapring)

I was talking to my buddy that used to have the snapring magnet setup on his XR and he said it sucked and fell out and got chewed up by the brake pads by coming loose on account of the heat changes he reccons. Hopefully this thing will hold up or I will have to look into a bolt setup.

After that I threaded in the coolant sender into the right radiator. It didn't hand thread in like they thought it would, but i put it in with a wrench and took care not to tighten it too much.

After that i hooked up the RPM sensor, wrapping the red wire around the spark plug cable, and grounding to one of the coil bolts that went through the frame.

Then I hooked up the power and ground cables to the batt. All wires were cut close to length with a little extra just in case, and zip tied up neat along the frame and existing wire routes. I ordered the aluminum protector mount after the computer, so I won't get that until Monday, hopefully the mounting won't be too different or I will have to reroute some wiring.

I programmed the thing and checked it out, it seems super cool! The backlight is bright as hell and the different functions seem like they will be easy to get accustomed to. Can't wait to ride with it! Good luck with the install and let me know if you have questions for those of you installing one. :thumbsup:

• Marcelo T

Posted July 22, 2007 - 01:45 PM

Guys,

I had an KTM 450 EXC 2004 and current ride a 2005 that took me a while to stop overheating.

I truely beleive the gauge is not your solution. Think about changing your riding style.

I am a novice that started racing Enduros strait on a KTM 450. I used to use the clutch a lot, that added to the fact our tracks inBrazil are narrow and muddy, meant the bike never got enouth air through it to cool down.

I installed the fan which solved the verheating part of the roblem, but drained the baterry.

I changed the baterry from a 4 amp/hour standard to a 7 amp/hour, same phisical size, which helped enourmously, but when riding evening enduros, it left me kicking the bike, agian with n baterry power.

I adjusted the jetting, did not make a big different because I run in slow tracks.

Them, someone told me to STOP using the clutch. That was it. Used only to start and stop and at times going down hill when the bke is about to die!!!

That did the trick. My bike never overheated again for the past year!!!

I dont understand what floating the bike means and alsodid not try to add an additional radiator water tank, which migth help topping up th elost water, but does not solve the problem.

What it did for me, was to addapt my riding to the bike.

Best of luck and stck with your KTM - It never let me down!

Cheers

Marcelo

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 500 EXC Stuttering at 3/4 to Full Throttle by Moondogger

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 KTM 300 XC or 350 XC-F by redrider144

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 22 replies
Reviews

KTM 500 EXC 2015 by Bryan Bosch

KTM 500 EXC 2015
  • 2 reviews
  • Last review by Bethumped
  • On October 08, 2014
Reviews

KTM 450 EXC 2015 by Bryan Bosch

KTM 450 EXC 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 KTM 500 EXC - Dirt Rider's Impression by C6 DNA

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.