wr450f performance.

11 replies to this topic
  • tarmac_terrorist

Posted July 14, 2007 - 05:51 PM

hello.

Can anyone quantify the performance of the 450f? Im used to cars and standing quarters, 0 /60 times etc. I appreciate this might be a silly question, but i cant find any figures / info on how fast the bike is.

thanks.

• mcflzwr450f

Posted July 14, 2007 - 06:58 PM

uumm...what..

• TMD

Posted July 14, 2007 - 11:22 PM

Just to jump in, I am interested in buying a WR450 but don't want to regret not buying a KTM 530 or 690SM. I would also like to know how powerful the WR450 is, does it make a good all round bike - off road or supermoto'd for the road.

I had 2 XR650R's over the years and would like to know if the new WR450's are near to an XR for power to weight, bearing mind a WR will be less powerful but be lighter.

• freestyle250

Posted July 14, 2007 - 11:26 PM

After putting a 300 dollar pipe on my WR450 (05), I can get to 30 miles an hour about a bike length ahead of a 99 Mustang Cobra (320 horse). Just think, a car that weights 3,000 lbs can go 0-60 in 6 seconds. well, the 450 has over 50 horsepower and less than 300 lbs. the power to weight ratio on these bikes is incredible! you will NOT be disappointed atop a 450.

• freestyle250

Posted July 14, 2007 - 11:31 PM

Just to jump in, I am interested in buying a WR450 but don't want to regret not buying a KTM 530 or 690SM. I would also like to know how powerful the WR450 is, does it make a good all round bike - off road or supermoto'd for the road.

I had 2 XR650R's over the years and would like to know if the new WR450's are near to an XR for power to weight, bearing mind a WR will be less powerful but be lighter.

not necessarily, its a different kind of power. the XR's are not liquid cooled, whereas the WR is. meaning a much better horsepower output for the amount of cc's. My dad used to have an old IT490 two stroke. and my 450 puts out more horsepower than his air cooled two stroke.

as far as how it rides, this bike handles like a dream. ive ridden YZ, KX and CR two strokes, and I would take this 450 in a handling battle over those any day. The 18 inch rear wheel helps out with this as well.

• TMD

Posted July 15, 2007 - 03:49 AM

XR650R's are most definitely liquid cooled, you are thinking of the old XR600 or XR650L, the XR650R's put out about 50HP I think and probably weigh about 140Kgs at a guess.

Will they do 90mph with reasonable snappy acceleration?

(I know you could gear it to do 120mph if you gear it right but it would accelerate so slowly)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • VB_Racing

Posted July 15, 2007 - 09:06 AM

XR650R's are most definitely liquid cooled, you are thinking of the old XR600 or XR650L, the XR650R's put out about 50HP I think and probably weigh about 140Kgs at a guess.

Will they do 90mph with reasonable snappy acceleration?

(I know you could gear it to do 120mph if you gear it right but it would accelerate so slowly)

I've ridden both, and can help you out a bit. The WR450 is about the same HP wise, but you won't have the low end grunt of an XR650. The WR450 is revvier and happier at mid to high RPM's compared to the XR. The bike is a little lighter than the XR but feels ALOT lighter.
My WR will cruise at 70 mph with stock gearing,I would gear it a little bit for the road if I dual sported it. I believe the wr will hit 90 geared for off road.
My personal opinion is that most guys I know that are used to big bore off road bikes , don't care much for the 450 bikes. The way the bikes make power are extremely different. The engine braking is a lot different, and the bikes aren't as road worthy IMHO. hope this helps!!

Dave

• Darkstang

Posted July 15, 2007 - 10:31 AM

I have a WR450 uncorked and a buddy has a new 650 Honda that is stock. While I will say that the 650 may feel torquier, I do not belive it is as fast. I can not power wheely it to the end of the power band like I can my 450. It just seems like it pulls harder for a longer time than the Honda. I will keep my WR for the trails and looking at a KTM for a SM. I ride trails and woods every week so I need to keep the WR tuned for that.

The KTM 690 feels and sets more like a Dirtbike than the 950 but I am not sold on it's throttle by wire (fuel injection) that everyone that has rode a new one that I have talked to says feels mushy on the bottom. The 950 feels real good as well, have not heard of anyone being displeased with it though.

Team Screams WR supermoto is GORGEOUS from his threads. Maybe I need to find another WR to SM...

• TMD

Posted July 15, 2007 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for the info, especially VB racings as the first hand experience is just what I was looking for. I would buy another XR650R but they are not available in the UK anymore - Honda UK don't import them now.

I just wanted my cake and eat it. A big grunty dirt bike that will pull hard on the road for overtaking but be light and usefull off road oh and not need a full engine rebuild after every ride.

• VB_Racing

Posted July 15, 2007 - 06:25 PM

Thanks for the info, especially VB racings as the first hand experience is just what I was looking for. I would buy another XR650R but they are not available in the UK anymore - Honda UK don't import them now.

I just wanted my cake and eat it. A big grunty dirt bike that will pull hard on the road for overtaking but be light and usefull off road oh and not need a full engine rebuild after every ride.

Don't let the engine keep you from buying one, these WR's are dead reliable, and you can put quite a few miles on them with minimal maintenance.

Dave

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted July 16, 2007 - 04:34 PM

Has anyone ever dynoed a corked 07, then dynoed an uncorked 07? How much of a power increase do the free mods / de-restriction bring?

• screamingjimmy

Posted July 17, 2007 - 08:53 AM

i've owned a XR650L before my 2004 WR450F, and the WR has way more power, way funner to drive, and much more handleable in many terrains! I think our stock WRs top out at 90mph!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.