YZ426->450 conversion DONE!

35 replies to this topic
  • mxgene

Posted July 14, 2007 - 03:40 PM

Finally finished my conversion. Take a look and tell me what y'all think....
Posted Image
Posted Image

• 642MX

Posted July 14, 2007 - 04:36 PM

Looks really good. Nice job!

• Justin89

Posted July 14, 2007 - 04:54 PM

Nice!

• bboyce

Posted July 14, 2007 - 04:56 PM

Dude, thats a really nice lookin bike! Congrats.

Just one question though, if you don't mind...What made you hold onto the 426 insted of just getting the 06 and newer bike?

• 426boy

Posted July 14, 2007 - 05:08 PM

i dont know about u guys but having a green sticker is a big one for me

• bboyce

Posted July 14, 2007 - 05:12 PM

Oh yep..thats probably it, I didn't even think he might be from Cali. Duh, dumb Michigan guy. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• mxgene

Posted July 14, 2007 - 07:04 PM

Yep...The green sticker thing.

• crazyal426

Posted July 14, 2007 - 07:16 PM

Great job!!! Good to see more joining the " I got a goood 426 but like the looks of the 450" club. Check out my garage for mine.

• 426 boy

Posted July 14, 2007 - 11:46 PM

could someone please fill me in bout wat this "Green sticker" means, cheers

• rexbond007

Posted July 15, 2007 - 10:27 AM

i was wondering that too. why that makes a guy keep a bike, isn't it transferable to a new bike?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NorCal

Posted July 15, 2007 - 10:41 AM

i was wondering that too. why that makes a guy keep a bike, isn't it transferable to a new bike?

Search "Red Sticker" in the California forum. There are endless threads about this, but I'll explain it in a nut shell.

Mx bikes, 2003 and newer, are issued a Red Sticker tag. This limits the bike to be ridden about 9 months out of the year. Each riding area is different. For example, 90% of the riding areas I ride in Northern California are open year round for red sticker bikes.

All trail bikes (CRF X, WR, EXC, etc...) are issued green stickers, which means they can ride year round at any riding area.

All bikes 2002 or older, regardless of mx or trail, are issued greens stickers. That's why some guys prefer to keep their 2002 YZ426's instead of getting a newer 450.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted July 15, 2007 - 12:47 PM

Well done, sir!

Looks really good.

• LPT1485

Posted July 15, 2007 - 04:21 PM

Will 450 plastics/tank/seat go right onto a 426 or is there a need for modifications to the plastics/mounting points? And will only certain year 450 plastics fit the 426?

By the way, sweet looking 426.

• sleeperz28

Posted July 15, 2007 - 05:55 PM

this post sure reminds me how good us Iowa, and other non-emission tested states have it. all i need to ride at parks is a current year registration sticker which costs about $15

• NorCal

Posted July 15, 2007 - 07:21 PM

this post sure reminds me how good us Iowa, and other non-emission tested states have it. all i need to ride at parks is a current year registration sticker which costs about $15

Ummm. I'm pretty sure you can't compare riding in IOWA compared to California. Yes, emissions are a pain in the ass, but you have to pay a price for living in an area with almost every single different type of terrain (desert, mountains, tight woods, dunes, prarie/flat, etc) at your fingertips. Plus our climate absolutely craps on any midwest state. Year round riding in California is a big advantage.

And yes I have been to Iowa/Missouri/Minnesota/Wisconsin. I go there just about every other year to see my family.

• razornpc

Posted July 17, 2007 - 11:48 AM

as far a a pain to ride, iowa isnt real bad, most places dont check your dba either.

• skwerlee

Posted July 17, 2007 - 01:51 PM

Search "Red Sticker" in the California forum. There are endless threads about this, but I'll explain it in a nut shell.

Mx bikes, 2003 and newer, are issued a Red Sticker tag. This limits the bike to be ridden about 9 months out of the year. Each riding area is different. For example, 90% of the riding areas I ride in Northern California are open year round for red sticker bikes.

All trail bikes (CRF X, WR, EXC, etc...) are issued green stickers, which means they can ride year round at any riding area.

All bikes 2002 or older, regardless of mx or trail, are issued greens stickers. That's why some guys prefer to keep their 2002 YZ426's instead of getting a newer 450.

Man that is so GAY!!! Yet another reason why I love TX!

• tommyj

Posted July 17, 2007 - 03:12 PM

Ummm. I'm pretty sure you can't compare riding in IOWA compared to California. Yes, emissions are a pain in the ass, but you have to pay a price for living in an area with almost every single different type of terrain (desert, mountains, tight woods, dunes, prarie/flat, etc) at your fingertips. Plus our climate absolutely craps on any midwest state. Year round riding in California is a big advantage.

And yes I have been to Iowa/Missouri/Minnesota/Wisconsin. I go there just about every other year to see my family.

Awesome points NorCal :thumbsup: You may not be able to go to the parks at this time of year if you have a red sticker in california, but you can still find decent place to ride at this time of year if you know where to go.

• felix 222

Posted July 17, 2007 - 09:06 PM

exactly why i have a 426 and not a 450:rant:

but i like my 426 too:D

• Ranger18

Posted July 18, 2007 - 06:41 AM

Looks sick!!!
There are a few other things I would do.
1. new grips, all black or black and blue
2. a carbon fiber rear disk guard, or a billet shark fin
3. Some blue hubs to go with your blue rear spring.
4. polish your swing arm.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.