Race Tech fork oil

4 replies to this topic
  • Dougie

Posted May 11, 2000 - 09:06 PM

Does anyone know if I can use other fork oil in my Race Tech suspension. Reason I ask is that the dealer recommends I stick with the Race Tech, but at $25 a bottle, I think I would like to go with something else a tad cheaper. They say they can't guarantee the valving performatnce.

Now are they correct or are they trying to stick me for a $25 bottle of fork oil. Those that have RT supspension, what are you using?

Also, does one bottle fill up both forks or do I need two bottles?

The forks are about the last thing I need to learn about and open up myself, but I'm not ready yet master.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

• fershy

Posted May 11, 2000 - 09:57 PM

They can't guarantee the performance if you don't use their oil? Do they guarantee it with their oil? Sounds a little like sales talk to me.
Of course you can use other non Race Tech fork oils.I recommend Golden Spectro 5W. At $5 per bottle, (you will need two) a small fortune will be saved. And if it makes you feel better, I will guarantee the performance of your forks.

fershy
fershy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 11, 2000 - 10:11 AM

Douglas,
Tell Race Tech they can shove their $25.00/qt oil up their butts. They just want your money, don't succumb. I have yet to install my PJ-1 2.5# in my forks, but I was told by one shop that Silkolene was the best off-the-counter stuff they had seen. Silkolene does not carry 2.5#.

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted May 11, 2000 - 10:50 AM

I was told by a "suspension guru" on another site that Race-tech oil is just repackaged Golden Spectro. Think about it, how many companies really MAKE oil?

I have Race-tech suspension on both ends and at the last spring/oil change I put Spectro Syn. "light" (5wt) in the forks. It was $12.00 a quart at the local shop. No problems so far and I've got a couple of hard days at the track on them. It says right on the bottle that it's for KYB forks. You can go with "VERY LIGHT"(2.5 wt)if you are light and need a lighter action. My forks had that in them when I got it but it was too light for me.

Race-tech makes good stuff but their price for oil is a rip off - IMHO

------------------
Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

• Clark_Mason

Posted May 11, 2000 - 04:16 PM

For fork oil as I have reported before I have used with excellent results the Pro Honda HP fork oil for Showa/KYB forks. I use 5wt in my WR and set the oil height to 100mm. Available at your local Honda Dealer. It is not $25 a quart which is absurd....

Clark

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.