2006 yz450f chain question

11 replies to this topic
  • Justin89

Posted July 14, 2007 - 11:58 AM

Hey guys, I recently just adjusted my chain and adjusted it so that it was pretty tight ( more so than it should be). I rode it down the street and checked it when I got back and it seemed to be a lot looser. Is this because it stretched? The adjusters are tight and both axle block markers are at the same mark. I know this seems to be a dumb question but it seems like I always have to adjust about every other ride. Thanks!:thumbsup:

• bboyce

Posted July 14, 2007 - 12:34 PM

Well one thing to keep in mind is not to adjust by the axle blocks. They are very inaccurate.

• Justin89

Posted July 14, 2007 - 12:47 PM

Well one thing to keep in mind is not to adjust by the axle blocks. They are very inaccurate.

Do you just count how many turns you do on each side or what?

• meyermetal

Posted July 14, 2007 - 12:53 PM

best way is to line up the rear tire by using the sprocket. By using a chain alingment tool your rear wheel will be straight.

If you have a broken in chain then adjust it to tight it will strech out more.

• Justin89

Posted July 14, 2007 - 01:19 PM

Yeah, thanks guys...I think that it was just a bad chain adjustment in my part. I went out again and got it right...easy on the lashings! lol:worthy: :thumbsup:

• ben_suhard

Posted July 15, 2007 - 05:06 AM

The adjusters are tight and both axle block markers are at the same mark. I know this seems to be a dumb question but it seems like I always have to adjust about every other ride. Thanks!:thumbsup:

The chain can be tighter in different sections(spin the wheel to check in different spots), overtightening can bend your counter-shaft too.
I just use the axle block markers to adjust my chain. I fitted a DID520MX chain to my bike 'cause the stock one was stretching fast. The DID chain seemed to stretch just as fast and I had to adjust it every couple of hours or so. Now I've got a DID520VM (X-ring) chain on my bike, which should last a lot longer plus a supersprox (aluminium inner with steel teeth outer) rear sprocket. It's about twice as heavy as aluminium, but I'll put up with that for the durability. Those ironman rear sprockets look like the go though, I wouldn't mind trying one of them too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • meyermetal

Posted July 15, 2007 - 05:44 AM

I fitted a DID520MX chain to my bike 'cause the stock one was stretching fast. The DID chain seemed to stretch just as fast and I had to adjust it every couple of hours or so.

All chains stretch. The stock chain will strech like a rubberband then stay the same length when broken in. Your DID520MX just did what all new chains do.:thumbsup:

• ben_suhard

Posted July 15, 2007 - 07:25 AM

All chains stretch. The stock chain will strech like a rubberband then stay the same length when broken in. Your DID520MX just did what all new chains do.:thumbsup:

Nope, the stock chain continued to stretch, and the DID520MX stretched every time I used it, I had to adjust it after every ride right up until all the teeth broke in half on the rear sprocket. It lasted about 35hrs which is not too bad I guess. That's why I've gone for the x-ring and steel teeth this time.

• mikedabike

Posted July 15, 2007 - 01:27 PM

Nope, the stock chain continued to stretch, and the DID520MX stretched every time I used it, I had to adjust it after every ride right up until all the teeth broke in half on the rear sprocket. It lasted about 35hrs which is not too bad I guess. That's why I've gone for the x-ring and steel teeth this time.

According to DID the 520MX is a stronger chain than the 520VM. Just because a chain is a standard chain and not an X or O ring does not mean it is junk. A sealed chain is easier to maintain and might wears longer but does not necesarily mean it wont stretch. I run high quality standard chains from Regina and DID and have no issues with stretching after the first couple of rides.

• grayracer513

Posted July 15, 2007 - 05:02 PM

According to DID the 520MX is a stronger chain than the 520VM. Just because a chain is a standard chain and not an X or O ring does not mean it is junk. A sealed chain is easier to maintain and might wears longer but does not necesarily mean it wont stretch. I run high quality standard chains from Regina and DID and have no issues with stretching after the first couple of rides.

My opinion of the stock YZF chain is based not in any way on any assumptions related to its being original equipment or a non-sealed chain, but on my own experience and that of others; it's a piece of crap, and it should be removed when new, and placed somewhere far away from any motorcycle.

Letting a chain stretch til it stops stretching and then running it like that is a dandy way to wipe out a set of sprockets in a hurry, too. And all chains do not stretch, in fact, only the very poorest ones actually stretch at all in the plastic sense; the increase in length is almost entirely from wear at the pins and bushings. As to whether all of them do it, I have a Regina ORN6 on my '03 right now that's over two years old, and is only now more than 1% longer than new.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 16, 2007 - 07:04 AM

I didn't say the stock chain or the DID520MX was junk, I just pointed out that the standard DID chain, although being one of their strongest chains, seemed to stretch just as much as the stocker. Do you even ride in dirt(your avatar is a supermotard)? If not, that's probably why your standard chains don't stretch. As Gray pointed out, the standard chains don't actually keep stretching, stretching is the term used when the chain gets longer in length because the dirt acts as an abrasive and wears the metal pins etc. down. I just put about 2.3 hours on the new x-ring and it doesn't need adjusting. I know it'll last longer than a standard chain because the o-ring chain on my last bike, a KTM525exc, had done 90 hours.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 16, 2007 - 07:19 AM

I will say it bluntly!! The stock chain is worthless crap...junk....not worth a damn....point hopefully is getting made now:thumbsup:
I never even ride a new bike with it...I replace it before my bikes ever see dirt....why even put the wear on a new set of sprockets?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.