Punctured Clutch cover on an 01 426...repair or replace?

6 replies to this topic
  • LPT1485

Posted July 14, 2007 - 09:09 AM

Well, just got back from a short ride...and during that time I managed to take a slow speed fall. Needless to say the bike fell perfectly onto a rock that was perfectly positioned to put a fairly small hole on my clutch cover. No idea it had done that at first, heard a weird slurping noise like someone was sucking through a straw with no more drink left. I thought it was my rear brake, but discovered it only happened when i pulled the clutch, after looking around a bit there was the hole. Rode back home and am now on the search for either a repair or a new/used clutch cover. Any of you guys have any stock good condition clutch covers laying around, or a good fix that I can plug up this hole with?

• grayracer513

Posted July 14, 2007 - 09:20 AM

The problem is that the cover is bent inward as well as punctured, and is rubbing on the pressure plate when the clutch is pulled. Just patching the hole won't do much unless you can bend the dimple in the cover back out to clear without breaking it worse.

The stocker is $107 at retail, and TT OEM is good for 30% off of that. Aftermarket covers run about what OEM does. They're aluminum, rather than Mag, and somewhat stronger, and they look cool.

• KJ790

Posted July 14, 2007 - 09:22 AM

You can find used stock ones really cheap on ebay if you don't want to spend much money. I personally would go with an aftermarket one because they are stronger than stock.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LPT1485

Posted July 14, 2007 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for the help, going to check out the after market selection. As for running it for about 10 minutes riding back home, do you think that did any damage to the clutch? It made this weird slurping noise every time I engaged the clutch, just wondering. Also, will I need to order a new gasket with replacing the cover?

• grayracer513

Posted July 14, 2007 - 10:32 AM

As for running it for about 10 minutes riding back home, do you think that did any damage to the clutch? It made this weird slurping noise every time I engaged the clutch, just wondering. Also, will I need to order a new gasket with replacing the cover?

The noise happened when you DISengaged the clutch by pulling in the lever. That came from the pressure plate rubbing directly on the cover, so yes, you did some damage, but probably not enough to be of any real concern. The metal in the oil is your biggest problem.

And yes, you will need a gasket.

• LPT1485

Posted July 14, 2007 - 11:08 AM

thanks

• Wiz636

Posted July 14, 2007 - 11:12 AM

I second the ebay idea...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.