GOIN TO THE DUNES!!!

11 replies to this topic
  • ray_lebreton

Posted May 09, 2000 - 04:15 PM

in two weeks i am going to the dunes in oregon. yaaaaaa. has anyone ever been there before? what did you think. what should i do to my bike 2000 wr to prepare for the trip besides a paddle tyre. does anyone want to share any riding techniques or anything at all about the dunes and riding them? by the i have never been there so i need all the help i can get. i hear it is a lot different than ridding anywhere else. i'm a little bit nervous. but still cant wait. any ideas would be appeciated. thanks, RAY

• Gordon

Posted May 09, 2000 - 06:56 PM

Drop air preasure in front down to 3 or 4 pounds and rear down to 12 pounds. Speed is your friend. If you come over a dune and the front wheel starts to sink grab some throttle or else you are going over the bars.
Run a 13 / 48 gear and a 9 paddle. Dont worry about falling to much the sand is like a pillow. Drink a few beers for courage if you need it.

• James_Dean

Posted May 09, 2000 - 08:23 PM

Get the Paddle tire!!! You will be glad you did!!! Go big on the main and maybe 1 richer on the clip. 175-180 main and #4 clip if you have stock DRS. You will be full throttle on alot of the soft (downwind) sides of the dunes. Sand sucks up the power, this is open bike territory... Speed helps keep the bike up and makes steering way easier. Watch out for the ridges, as they often drop off just as you crest them, and could lead you to the very popular local hospital. Ride the big bowls wide open and the G's will keep you up high on the faces. Big air is available lots of places if you've got the balls!!!

• Henry

Posted May 09, 2000 - 09:03 PM

hi, you may wanna get a pair of shaded goggle along just in case the sun get too bright
bring plenty of water,it could dehydrated in in no time if there are no shelter from the hot sun.
maybe should put bac the airbox lid but with snorkel remove and could have yourself from removing all those sand if you happen to drop your bike. fine sand may get through the the air filter easily, so spread the air filter oil evening throughout the entire ir filter.
just my 2 cents worth, hope it help :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 09, 2000 - 09:11 PM

Ray, come out to a spot in Richmond if you can. It is called Triangle and is a large dune like area where people ride with paddles and catch big air. If you are intrested e-mail me and I will give you directions. wr_freak@yahoo.com I would join you but severely sprained my ankle stuffing this guy during a V-Ball game. I am sure Bryan knows the feeling. See ya all later, Marco

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 10, 2000 - 01:04 PM

Also be sure and check with the park and make sure and see if you have to have a whip flag and how tall it needs to be. I went out to Little Sahara in Oklahoma and I didnt know untill a couple days before that I had to have one! Luckily someone in my hometown happened to have one in stock. Plus it took me a little configuring just to figure out how to get it on without messing anything up.

------------------
Darin from Missouri WR400F Pro-Tapers, Applied TC, Clarke 3.3, YZ seat, Scotts Shark Fin, FMF PC IV S.A., One Industries Hannah Retro Kit, WER Steering Dampner,Pacemaker Computer, Andrews Powder Coating-painted gloss black

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGreg

Posted May 10, 2000 - 05:00 PM

Watch out for the ridges, as they often drop off just as you crest them, and could lead you to the very popular local hospital

Yep, been there, done that :)

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• Bryan

Posted May 11, 2000 - 10:10 AM

Yes Marco, I can understand. A severly sprained ankle is my only other volleyball injury ever.
I might have to get more finger surgery next month. Major bummer. It'll never be the same.
No more open division tournaments for me since I can NEVER BLOCK AGAIN.
I guess I'll have to learn some jungle ball techniques.
At least I think I'll be able to pass. And I can still hit since it's my left hand. I can still sort of set but I've always been a crappy setter anyway so no harm done.
Bryan...

• JamesD

Posted May 11, 2000 - 10:21 AM

Originally posted by Bryan:
Yes Marco, I can understand. A severly sprained ankle is my only other volleyball injury ever.
I might have to get more finger surgery next month. Major bummer. It'll never be the same.

Bummer about the finger. Volleyball always does a number on my ankles. Or should I say morons that try to hit though my blocks and come under the net do a number on my ankles.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 11, 2000 - 10:28 AM

Brimg a 4-wheeler[yamaha]lots of fun

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 11, 2000 - 01:56 PM

Originally posted by JamesD:
Bummer about the finger. Volleyball always does a number on my ankles. Or should I say morons that try to hit though my blocks and come under the net do a number on my ankles.

That's exactly what happened. Some moron tried to hit against me and it was high and tight so I had the advantage, but he stepped over the line and I landed on his foot. It has been 3 days and still can't put any pressure on it, but the x-rays did come up negative. My finger also go bent backward on a blocking attempt but isn't that bad. Kind of bothers me now and again. Oh well, little of the WR topic. Take care, Marco

• ray_lebreton

Posted May 11, 2000 - 06:46 PM

i did the exact same thing about two years ago playing basketball but unfortunatly i broke my ankle. i was out for 6 weeks with a cast and another two week with therapy. be happy yours isn't broken.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.