xr650l Twin Air Filter Problem

14 replies to this topic
  • stuntrider7x

Posted July 14, 2007 - 08:44 AM

Hi, I just bought a twin air filter for my 650l and when i went to put it in i noticed that the is like no filter cage, so i put it in anyway and it looks like it is going to fall out, how can i fix this. Thanks!!!

• hrc1

Posted July 14, 2007 - 08:56 AM

I have a twin air that was on my xr600 when i got it and it has a stainless screen cage inside it. Maybe it's the stock cage? See if you can pull the cage out fo the stock filter and put it in the twin air. I'm having sealing issues with a uni and twin air right now, there is a foam piece that crosses the center of the filter, i'm assuming i have to remove this.

• axarob44

Posted July 14, 2007 - 02:56 PM

I just got a UNI for my XRL and it came with a cage. I noticed when looking at a Twin Air on one site or the other the filter with the cage was around fourty$. and 20 with just the foam filter. Ok, I just looked at the TT store the Twin Air filter is $44.00 and it says it comes with the cage. Check it out.

http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=509

• stuntrider7x

Posted July 14, 2007 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for the help, Do you know if i can just buy the cage.

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted July 16, 2007 - 05:06 AM

I have one of those cages if you want it. I perfer the stock XR600 cages myself.

• bigtooth

Posted July 16, 2007 - 06:11 AM

Yes you can by the cage by itself, I had the same problem for my xr600, i believe there the same if I remember right they don't advertise it on the website, so you may have to call them, but its only like $15.00.

• QuickMick

Posted January 04, 2012 - 08:38 AM

ok I have the same problem. Where can I get just the Cage??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brianhare

Posted January 04, 2012 - 02:01 PM

I have a twin air that was on my xr600 when i got it and it has a stainless screen cage inside it. Maybe it's the stock cage? See if you can pull the cage out fo the stock filter and put it in the twin air. I'm having sealing issues with a uni and twin air right now, there is a foam piece that crosses the center of the filter, i'm assuming i have to remove this.

Don`t remove the bridge on the filter,,it keeps it from slipping off at the middle.....they are a pain to install,,,but with some wiggling and care it will go in and seal..

B

• brianhare

Posted January 04, 2012 - 02:05 PM

Buy another complete filter with the cage.......then you can have one filter in the bike,and one foam element all oiled up at home or on trips in a bag........no down time...you should keep 2 filters all the time,,if one starts to come apart at the seams,,it happens,,,or the one on the bike is dirty,,it`s a quick swap and you are out on the trails,,instead of trying to clean a filter while i`m riding:ride:

:smirk:

B

• Horri

Posted January 04, 2012 - 02:07 PM

Bodge one up out of Chicken wire...The NZ solution,,number 8 wire and chicken wire can make anything.

• HMFL

Posted January 05, 2012 - 01:38 PM

It would be nice if twin air would make a powerflow air filter cage out of aluminum like they have for CRF250 and 450's. I have the plastic twin air cages which work fine, but I like the xr400/600 stock cage better. I have an 08 xr650L.

• elsalvadorXR6

Posted January 05, 2012 - 05:26 PM

do you still have the stock cage/mesh?

For what its worth I now use the stock cage/mesh housing and use a UNI and a dt1 foam filter, and switch back and forth. I keep one oiled and ready to go, in a ziploc baggie.

For some reason my bike responds better to the stock mesh cage housing, even better than the UNI plastic cage.

Scott summers said to not remove any of the screen material on the stock cage cause it "disrupted" airflow velocity, so whatever he meant by this I second his advice.
I also use his jetting reccomendations(xr600) to the t.:smirk:

anywhoo

enjoy the bike.

cheers

• QuickMick

Posted January 06, 2012 - 05:54 AM

Does anyone have a cage they will sell, or post some pics so I can fab up a cage?
I have TWO twin air filters and all I need is a cage.

• kg-fabricating

Posted January 06, 2012 - 05:40 PM

Don`t remove the bridge on the filter,,it keeps it from slipping off at the middle.....they are a pain to install,,,but with some wiggling and care it will go in and seal..

B

---------------------------------
same problem with mine - the bridge keeps it from sitting flat and makes it
almost impossible to tell if it is sitting properly on flange
tried cutting it off on the spare filter so it would sit flat BUT buddy is right it wants
to spread open in middle - I think it is a poor design !!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
the older xr's had a metal lip on the inside of the airbox so it was easier to feel
when you had the filter on right - it is a rubber lip on the xr400 and has no feel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
in my opinion it is hard to beat the stock Honda filter on these bikes
------never had a twin air - does it have the same stupid bridge in the middle ?
:smirk:

• elsalvadorXR6

Posted January 06, 2012 - 06:22 PM

hmmm my 88xr600 has the metal lip you speak of...cant imagine getting a good feel or seal without it.

I too took off the foam middle thingy off my uni as I hated the way the filter would always squish somewhere on the mating area...the dt1 filter I bought does not have an inner flap but has a nice thick contact/mating area.

I do use ample grease though to help seal...

food for thought though

cheers

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.