Starting problem. Yzf 426

6 replies to this topic
  • kubamtx

Posted July 14, 2007 - 05:29 AM

I need a little help.
My 01 yzf 426 always started like it should. When cold using cold choke and 2 kicks, and when warm with 1 kick and after falling on hot choke with 1 kick.
Yesterday I rode a little on the track and in forest. I stoped and after 10 minutes wanted to start my bike, and nothing. I used hot start and it started. Then in forest I stoped to check if it will start and it started (but there was only 1 minute break). Today I went to garage and tried to start my bike (cold choke). It was impossible. I changed the plug and tried once again(cold choke), and nothing. Then I used hot start and after 5 kicks it made a noise. Next kick it started.
Now I don't know why it happens.
Could you give me a hint.
(sorry for my english , I now I make mistakes)

My conclusion is: the plug was poor (on the track),(tomorrow) I flood it. I've changed the plug but the bike was flooded so I flood the next plug using cold choke. Then it started on hot start because it was flooded. Am I right?

But today I'll check if it'll start well when cold.

• 642MX

Posted July 14, 2007 - 05:41 AM

Check your valve clearances. My 426 started to foul plugs and I found a tight center intake valve. I reshimmed the valve and the fouling went away.

You may want to pull you carb and give it a good cleaning too. :thumbsup:

• kubamtx

Posted July 14, 2007 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for advice.
Today I found my right intake valve to have 0,08mm of clearance. Is this enought to couse any problems?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 14, 2007 - 02:42 PM

Probably not, but it needs to be adjusted anyway.

• Dr.Wilson 154 ( . Y . )

Posted August 05, 2007 - 09:28 PM

if your using stock spark plugs for a 426 they only last for about 2 rides before they start to turn, if i were you i would buy a cr8ek plug for your bike it has 2 electrodes on it and it makes my 426 start first kick if hot or cold, dont even touch the throttle when trying to start it or it floods for sure

• Fastest1

Posted August 07, 2007 - 05:02 PM

I have a 2000 model but I have had the problem you describe a time or 2. Did you feel like you had much compression / resistance thru the kickstarter? I never was able to track it down as it would disappear as quickly as it came. I always thought it might be a valve not closing all the way (but the valves were always in spec). I am still on the original valvetrain except 1 450 exhaust cam.

• nos487

Posted August 07, 2007 - 05:12 PM

Check you intake boot( between carb and motor) for leaks. Friends split and I watched him kick it a bunch of times. Replaced ,ok now.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.