WR for a beginner?

9 replies to this topic
  • TimBoom

Posted May 10, 2000 - 09:40 PM

A kind gentleman on this forum has a WR for sale, and I'm considering it for my first dirtbike.
I have solid streetbike experience, and years on a mountain bike, so... am I a moron?
Is a WR kind of like a ZX11 for the dirt, i.e. strictly not for beginners?
___
Update:

Oh, yeah, I'm 27 years old, 6'2" 200lb and ride medium-aggro.

------------------
tbeynart@allegisgroup.com
Tim Beynart
Baltimore, MD

[This message has been edited by TimBoom (edited 05-10-2000).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 10, 2000 - 09:47 PM

I think a lot of people may say it is too much, but consider this; I have a good friend who just started using an old XR200 that I have (definately a beginner bike). He has a lot of experience on mountain bikes but no street bike experience. He tried the WR400 after his first ride and it was too much. However, after 4 rides (maybe 10 hours riding) he is way beyond the 200 and loves the WR400. It may be because of his mountain bike experience, but he has caught on fast and is very glad he didn't buy a beginner bike. PS, it is more of an R1 than a ZX-12...

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 10, 2000 - 09:50 PM

Oops - it also depends how big/tall you are. My biking friend who is now riding the 400 is 6' tall so the height of the bike does not make it hard for him

• Bill

Posted May 10, 2000 - 09:51 PM

If you have a solid foundation of serious off-road riding on your mtn bike ie if your familiar with jumping, whoops and turning at speed on dirt. Combined with your knowledge of street bikes you should be ok. I would say, you should be an aggressive rider also. If not you may want to consider a more user friendly bike such as a KDX 200 Kawi or Honda XR400 or Yamaha's TTR250.

The WR is also tall bike that some do not care for. I'm 5'11'" and have a hard time touching the ground. But would not trade my bike for any other.

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards.

• Bryan

Posted May 10, 2000 - 11:16 AM

I raced and lived mountain bikes for years before getting the motorcycle off-road bug.

I first got a dual sport XR650L because I thought I wanted to ride both roads and off-road. But, as I got more and more into riding, I converted my 650 to be more off-road worthy. Lower gearing, off road tires, etc. Finally I thought, why bother with this big ole pig. So I bought a true off-road motorcycle: the WR400.

My thought is that if your an aggressive mountain biker and like going fast on your street bike. And especially if your a taller rider (I fit all three of these categories), the WR400 will suit you just fine.

If you like to mountain bike like many Colorado riders, plod along looking at the flowers (I don't mean to be rude but that's not how I ride my mountain bike uphill or downhill), and/or your not that tall, you might want to consider a different used motorcycle to see if you like it and to see how much you can handle.

Personally I feel the WR400 power is pretty managable and it didn't take long to get used to. But, I can easily put my 37 inch legs down when I need to.

By the way, riding an off-road motorcycle makes many of the mountain bike things you do seem BORING! It's like downhilling on a mountain bike with 12 inches of travel all the time!

It is also a constant physical and mental challange. Don't let a mountain bike wheenie (I say affectionately) tell you motorcycles aren't as good of a workout as a bike. Sure your heart rate isn't racing at 160 - 175 for hours. But, it's in the areobic zone most of the time and you do a combination of squats, leg lifts and pushups for hours on end.

Bryan... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted May 10, 2000 - 11:57 AM

What Brian said :D

If you're tall and aggressive the WR isn't a problem. If you're shorter, you may want to go KDX200 or something like that until you get some seat time.

OBTW - going back to Mountain Bikes after having 12" inches on both ends is a real wake up call!! Damm near died last week going off a 2' drop at 25 down hilling on my bike :)

------------------
Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

• Bryan

Posted May 10, 2000 - 12:13 PM

Isn't that funny Chris?

A two foot drop on the WR or YZ is NOTHING! It's not even something you consider for more than a nano second. On the mountain bike, it's a wild ride! :)

Bryan...

• paul913

Posted May 10, 2000 - 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Bryan:
It is also a constant physical and mental challange. Don't let a mountain bike wheenie (I say affectionately) tell you motorcycles aren't as good of a workout as a bike. Sure your heart rate isn't racing at 160 - 175 for hours. But, it's in the areobic zone most of the time and you do a combination of squats, leg lifts and pushups for hours on end.

I was wearing a heart monitor last spring when I lost control, up-hill at about 30mph, smashed my throttle handgaurd into a tree. My entire body left the bike hit the tree like a cartoon! My heart rate hit 207! :0 You just can't do that on a MTB!

Bryan, you remmember that one. I was chasing Scary up Log Jumper - broke both handgaurds :)

Tim,
For advice, these guys are getting at the real questions you need to ask of yourself.
What kind of riding do you expect to do? Track, Trail or dirt roads?
Do you expect that you'll ride aggressively?
Do you like to work on your MTB? (Bikes with motors take maintenance! Just read through this web site)

We, as a group, love to introduce new guys to the sport we love. Last year a friend named Jason was in your exact situation - only a shorter inseam. He got an XR400 and has now mastered it! As Bryan said, the guys who aren't competitve, go-for-it mountain bikers don't take as well to it. You have to want to go fast. :D

The WR is definately an aggressive off road machine suited best to trail/enduro riding for taller, stronger and competitve guys.

Look forward to seeing you out there soon!

Jake

• Vincent

Posted May 10, 2000 - 01:37 PM

I think you can do just fine on a WR as a beginner. Just remember...you dont have to use all that throttle just because its there. The WR will putt along too if you need it to. Ive had to putt quite often when taking my boys trail riding. The WR and I both get impatient...but hey, the kids have gotta learn sometime. As for the vertically challenged parts of this conversation...Im only 5'8" tall with a 30" inseam and have absolutely no problems riding this scoot. Yeah, Ive been riding in the dirt for thirty years...but still, its not that bad really. Its tall, but its forgiving and not nearly as tall and top heavy as that dang XR650L I used to ride, ugh! Get a WR and have fun...you wont regret it, they rip!!

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 05-10-2000).]

• JamesD

Posted May 10, 2000 - 02:28 PM

Originally posted by Vincent:
I think you can do just fine on a WR as a beginner. Just remember...you dont have to use all that throttle just because its there. The WR will putt along too if you need it to.

Just keep in mind the suspension works best when the bike is ridden fast.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.