what happened?

12 replies to this topic
  • kickinfetus

Posted July 13, 2007 - 09:29 PM

check out my shock here. landed no harder than usual on a 75' table. nothing too crazy. any ideas. its off a '07 450 with like 35 hours

Posted Image

• ben_suhard

Posted July 13, 2007 - 10:41 PM

What the! That's not good. I think what actually happened is your rear shock split down the middle.:thumbsup:

• kyle450rider

Posted July 14, 2007 - 05:31 AM

thats crazy!get your wallet out cause thats gonna cost some bucks to replace.

• 642MX

Posted July 14, 2007 - 05:35 AM

I'd say thats worth a call to your Yamaha dealer. Your bike probably isn't under warranty, but Yamaha still may help you.

• tnl

Posted July 14, 2007 - 06:17 AM

Did you adjust your spring with a punch/screwdriver and slip and create a weak point on the threads not knowing it?

• warrior86

Posted July 14, 2007 - 08:29 AM

wow man!! :thumbsup: I wish i could even take a guess at how that happened but i wouldnt know where to start. Did yamaha change teh material for 07? I really cant think of an acceptable explanation as to why that happened.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kent Rathgeber

Posted July 14, 2007 - 09:17 AM

I've never seen ANYTHING like that happen on a shock, from any vehicle. Looks like it's a faulty shock body. I'd take it into the dealer and see what Yamaha will do. This could be a serious safety issue, if suspension parts are breaking like that. There could be a recall coming (or maybe you just got a shock with casting flaws or something like that).

• KJ790

Posted July 14, 2007 - 09:24 AM

Take it to your dealer and see if Yamaha will help you. I don't think there will be a recall since I have never seen or heard of this happeneing to anyone else and the '07s have been out for a year now. I think your shock must have had a flaw in the metal.

• El Marko

Posted July 14, 2007 - 09:26 AM

Wow (like everybody else says), never seen anything like that.

Definitely take to your dealer and "suggest" that Yamaha's district rep needs to look into this, get you a new shock, etc.

The dealer is probably going to be on your side in this, because this looks like a manufacturing defect in the shock body. Don't tick off the dealer; instead make him your ally in this.

If he's not interested, well your manual should include a phone # for contacting Yamaha directly.

• bboyce

Posted July 14, 2007 - 05:05 PM

Did you adjust your spring with a punch/screwdriver and slip and create a weak point on the threads not knowing it?

unless he's got a jackhammer, that wouldnt cause anything.

• kickinfetus

Posted July 14, 2007 - 05:16 PM

yeah i dont think i weakened the housing by adjusting the shock collar. i already have a new shock.....just want to know the cause of this so it doesnt happen again. i dont really want to go through the dealer cuz they suck.

• RCannon

Posted July 14, 2007 - 06:09 PM

That really looks like a split from too much oil being in the shock. Something liek it not being properly bled. The liquid cannot compress and looks for any possible way out...It found one.

Perhaps someone had too much Saki before going back to his station at the KYB factory?

I blame the factory because your bike looks so clean it does not look like it has been ridden enough to need the shock oil changed.

I would post the picture in the suspension forum. There are a lot of guys there who would help you.

• warrior86

Posted July 15, 2007 - 08:13 AM

i think you should atleast attempt to be reimbursed for this. I too dread going to the Stealer because they never show any sincere concern. But that is the most legit complaint if ive ever heard one so its worth a shot. Good luck. Glad to hear you didnt get hurt because of it.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.