The Secrets of the 2008 YZ450F Muffler

23 replies to this topic
  • DPW

Posted July 13, 2007 - 07:15 PM

http://www.motocross...F3E7ECC2A3CD20C

• 642MX

Posted July 13, 2007 - 07:19 PM

Interesting. :thumbsup: I wonder how quiet the exhaust note is....

• ben_suhard

Posted July 13, 2007 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the link. They mentioned it in the August issue, but didn't have a picture of it.

• yz_for_me

Posted July 13, 2007 - 08:28 PM

Cool. Thanks for sharing.

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2007 - 09:33 PM

That's a more simplistic approach than I was hoping for. Looks like it will be tough on the packing. We'll see how it plays out.

• kickinfetus

Posted July 13, 2007 - 09:34 PM

wheres my saw-z-all? im making one!

• ben_suhard

Posted July 13, 2007 - 10:31 PM

wheres my saw-z-all? im making one!

Yeah, I wouldn't mind shortening mine too, but I wonder if it'll change the exhaust tuning? I've already had to weld my exhaust back together and straighten the sub-frame because of the long muffler(I hit a tree stump at speed and did a synchronized front flip with my bike when passing a mate on some single trail, didn't even see it, maybe there was too much blurry vision going on? Although, I don't plan on ever doing that again, short or long muffler!)

• mj2412

Posted July 13, 2007 - 11:34 PM

I hoped also for a more technical solution. I know this approach from some enduro silencers, but with the full length to reduce to 93db.

But on the other side, the short silencer will come in USA only. In Europe we will have the good old long version, because of the new rule with 94db. So nothing which will make sense to change in Europe.

Martin

• Blue4Ever

Posted July 14, 2007 - 12:04 PM

Well at least it will have a built in spark arrestor. I wonder how many people will remove the yellow core to let it breath and how much louder it will get??

• dbehr624

Posted July 14, 2007 - 09:50 PM

hhhmmm.... Cool. I was wondering if there are any downfalls to cutting the stocker?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DPW

Posted July 15, 2007 - 05:19 AM

hhhmmm.... Cool. I was wondering if there are any downfalls to cutting the stocker?

why would you cut it? It's already short...

• Ga426owner

Posted July 15, 2007 - 03:38 PM

Cutting down a stock pipe is a waste....no gains what so ever.....power or less sound
I think this 08 is interesting but will be very restrictive......the design probably is patented so no one else can copy it - meaning no aftermkt like replacement.
If I had a 08....I would be saving for a aftermkt pipe made for a 08.

• grayracer513

Posted July 15, 2007 - 05:09 PM

Many and several.

• grayracer513

Posted July 15, 2007 - 05:16 PM

Cutting down a stock pipe is a waste....no gains what so ever.....power or less sound
I think this 08 is interesting but will be very restrictive......the design probably is patented so no one else can copy it - meaning no aftermkt like replacement.
If I had a 08....I would be saving for a aftermkt pipe made for a 08.

I doubt it's patentable. The design isn't new in any way, really. Then again, Japanese patent law is a bit bizarre....

• twenty34

Posted July 15, 2007 - 07:51 PM

I doubt it's patentable. The design isn't new in any way, really. Then again, Japanese patent law is a bit bizarre....

Eh? Why wouldn't it patentable? If they filed in Japan and if they didn't file in the states then it wouldn't hold up here, but usually they would file in multiple countries. They can file for the ornamental design or the actual performance design itself, which would likely be a sound reducing based patent since it carries a 96DB limit. These are very unique designs even if you feel there isn't anything new in any way. :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted July 16, 2007 - 04:00 AM

I mentioned it only because forever the Jap manufacturers seem to get off on crazy patents...like the Honda cable routing etc.....The 08 pipe looks interesting and it probably is lighter,,,,but unfortunately probably more restrictive to power output....my guess:prof:

• ben_suhard

Posted July 16, 2007 - 07:27 AM

Cutting down a stock pipe is a waste....no gains what so ever.....power or less sound.

It says the new muffler is .6 pounds lighter (a big weight saving in race bike terms), and it's also much less prone to damage if the bike flips or whatever. I'd prefer to have one on my bike for those reasons, but as you mentioned, I wonder if it saps much power?

the Jap manufacturers seem to get off on crazy patents...like the Honda cable routing etc.....

They haven't used drum brakes for a while, they use hoses nowadays.(I know that's what you meant but I couldn't resist pointing it out):thumbsup:

• never59

Posted July 16, 2007 - 07:38 AM

Take a look a the front brake routing on any yamaha from 2005 and earlier and then take a look at the honda. Quite a ridiculous patent but it stood up

They haven't used drum brakes for a while, they use hoses nowadays.(I know that's what you meant but I couldn't resist pointing it out)

• ben_suhard

Posted July 16, 2007 - 07:47 AM

Take a look a the front brake routing on any yamaha from 2005 and earlier and then take a look at the honda. Quite a ridiculous patent but it stood up

Yeah, I knew which patent he was talking about, that's why they call it "CR style" routing of the front brake hose, but not "CR style" cable routing.
Tip: If you want to quote another post, just hit the quote button and then erase what you don't want to include in your post.

• grayracer513

Posted July 16, 2007 - 08:57 AM

Anything is patentable, particularly in Japan (as in the example of the hose routing), but I was under the impression, perhaps erroneously, that there had to be an element of precedence, that is, there has to be something about the process or concept which was either new or distinctive in some way, and as was pointed out earlier, the layout of the core in this muffler is nothing new. But stranger things have certainly already happened.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

• Hot  30 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.