Down tube screen - XR650L

3 replies to this topic
  • wheelnut46

Posted July 13, 2007 - 07:02 PM

While changing the oil tonight I tried to clean the screen located in the downtube. I could not get a wrench to stay on without the hex stripping. I have a feeling that the P.O.'s must have messed that up somewhere along the line. Finally, I gave up and just changed the oil and filter.
I know that I'm gonna have to get brutal with that thing the next time so I want to have a brand new shiny one ready to replace it when the next oil change comes up.
Where can I get it (besides dealer) and does anyone have a PN? Also, any tricks to getting it out? It's such a thin hex even the vice grips wouldn't hold it.

• cleonard

Posted July 13, 2007 - 08:55 PM

I realize that yours might be to far gone, but I always take the tube off first and then use a six point deep socket on it. For some reason that thing is always a real bear to get loose. A flare nut wrench or the box end of a combo wrench is also a possibility. Do not try to get it loose with a regular open end wrench as you already know what happens.

You can order a new one at any of the online OEM parts distributors. I use Service Honda for big $ orders, but use bike bandit or thrifty rider for single cheaper parts like this. Those places have online parts lookup for the part numbers.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wheelnut46

Posted July 14, 2007 - 04:18 AM

A flare nut wrench or the box end of a combo wrench is also a possibility. Do not try to get it loose with a regular open end wrench as you already know what happens.

Yeah, tell me about it. The box wrench wouldn't even fit on the nut.
:thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted July 14, 2007 - 10:57 AM

ya make sure next time to use a quality 6-point deep socket on the new one.here is a link to what you need.
OEM+%28Stock%29+Parts~dept_type_id~2~model_dept_year~2003~model_dept_mfr~Honda~model_dept_id~375148~model_dept_name~XR650L.asp#stay' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://houseofmotorc...XR650L.asp#stay

it is the 1st part on the list.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.