Oil again, Shall I drain just enough out to be at the right level????

5 replies to this topic
  • BlueHondaEater

Posted May 03, 2000 - 06:05 PM

I changed my oil and somehow I got a bit too much oil in.Should I just loosen the drain plug so that I let some of the oil out till it is at the correct level?Or will this somehow damage my bike???? Any advice would be great!Thanks!

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 03, 2000 - 07:08 PM

Get yourself a Ratio Right mesuring cup. I'd also buy the lid.
How much extra oil did you add?

• PSC

Posted May 04, 2000 - 07:11 AM

It is very easy to drain

You will also sleep better :)

Marginally overfull should not cause any harm, if it's full to the brim it *could* cause accelerated wear on the scavenge pump.

Paul Card

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vincent

Posted May 04, 2000 - 10:31 AM

Buy yourself a turkey baster, you know, the thing with the squeeze bulb on the end. Attach a small hose to it if you cant fit the tip in the frame. And whoala...instant oil scavenger. How do I know this?? I've owned four strokes all my life. TT500's and TT600's both have dry sump motors...easy to overfill!! P.S., if you borrow your wifes baster out of the kitchen, dont even try to clean it up and put it back!! Hahaha

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 05-04-2000).]

• Henry

Posted May 09, 2000 - 05:05 PM

hi there!
maybe you could drain out all the oil again
and get the correct amount of oil in a measuring cylinder before pouring back again.

• Matt_Porritt

Posted May 10, 2000 - 12:12 AM

maybe you could drain out all the oil again and get the correct amount of oil in a measuring cylinder before pouring back again

I think its more a point of residual oil laving in the engine, gearbox and oil lines etc that when you add the correct amount of oil it reads overfull.
If you were to strip an engine and reassemble it after cleaning then the oil level will be spot on with the recommended oil quantity.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.