08's are in.

17 replies to this topic
  • AZcrRider

Posted July 13, 2007 - 06:33 PM

At least in Tucson,AZ. My riding buddy picked his up today. Still not ridden yet, but looking it over, he likes the shorter silencer and wider foot pegs.

If I get a couple of laps on it Sunday, I will give a ride report.

So if you have one ordered, keep your eyes peeled...:thumbsup:

• mummer12

Posted July 13, 2007 - 06:52 PM

Pictures please!!:thumbsup:

• Climber

Posted July 13, 2007 - 06:53 PM

curious, how loud the exhaust is?

• AZcrRider

Posted July 15, 2007 - 12:27 PM

Well here are some pic's. Touch of red this year, nice wider footpegs and a football for a muffler..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I got two laps on it. (My friends bike) Suspension is fairly stiff out of the box. Front end does not feel as planted on choppy stuff ( as the 07), but hard to tell if it is the new tire, or the non-broken in suspension. Rear end felt great, just like the 07. Feels lighter than the 07, particularly in turns, which is a good thing.

The power delivery is weak off the bottom. This bike is going to need an aftermarket exhaust, IMO. I am running the stock exh. on my 07 and it had has way more grunt. And the 07 is not violent or abrubt. Mid range is better, top end is OK. Well that is all I can determine from 2 laps. The Mag. shootouts are going to penalize the YZF alot for the muffler, IMO. It looks great and is almost the same loudness as the 07 ( 96?), but the power delivery needs some work. ( or some clutch)

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted July 15, 2007 - 12:50 PM

Good looking bike. The touch of red really sets it off.

Do you know if the 08 muffler would fit an 07? I'm considering buying a leftover 07 (we wont get the 08's until Oct./Nov.) and would like to see if that nice short 08 muffler will mount up. Thanks (don't mean to hijack your thread!)

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 15, 2007 - 01:38 PM

Holy smokes, the '08's are out already????????? I don't think I can ever remember Yamaha releasing new year bikes so early. Most of the time you will see a few pro level expert racers get a new year bike in the fall, but not this early...

• AZcrRider

Posted July 15, 2007 - 03:25 PM

Good looking bike. The touch of red really sets it off.

Do you know if the 08 muffler would fit an 07? I'm considering buying a leftover 07 (we wont get the 08's until Oct./Nov.) and would like to see if that nice short 08 muffler will mount up. Thanks (don't mean to hijack your thread!)

Not sure? But you don't want this muffler. Looks are not everything. It is not a straight thru design, but a reverse megahone. The hole outside does not equal the hole inside. ( insert joke here).

Poor performance off the bottom. The only way I would keep this canister on is if I rode in the mid-range 95% of the time.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 15, 2007 - 03:27 PM

2 laps unfortunately are not enough time to determine much....Suspension is not broken in -either is motor or anything else...
I would be surprised that the motor is weaker than the 07 as it was weaker than the 06. The 08 should be better power than the 07 I would think due to motor mods/changes
The muffler....I am not sure what to think of it other than yami wanted to quiet the bike down and it probably steals power from the motor.
I do like the wider pegs - new motor mods and black cases......pipe would be swapped for after mkt......as well as junk chain
I see no reason to put this 08 stock pipe on a 06 or 07 and do not get the logic....:thumbsup:

• warrior86

Posted July 15, 2007 - 06:47 PM

does the motor make teh notorious clanky sound? or did the changes finally get rid of it. clank clank clank clank tick tick, :thumbsup: lol

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ117

Posted July 15, 2007 - 08:08 PM

Tighter tolerances are definitely noticeable by the lack of motor noise. It is quiet though. You really can't make an evaluation in two laps. Lots of things need to loosen up and break in.

• BergArabia

Posted July 15, 2007 - 08:20 PM

Interesting about the pipe..
Hmm.. I am hoping that the difference in power that you noticed are just the engine not loosened up yet..

• matts06yzf

Posted July 16, 2007 - 05:23 AM

I want to see some reviews on this I dont know rather to buy 07 or 08, Looks like have to buy a pipe regardless. Hmmm what to do?:thumbsup:

Posted July 16, 2007 - 07:22 AM

I see no reason to put this 08 stock pipe on a 06 or 07 and do not get the logic....:thumbsup:

I think its more for the offroad guys like myself who would like to see the pipe tucked in cause they damage so easily when they go down. If it ends up robbing from the low end then I would rather just keep the longer canister.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 16, 2007 - 07:25 AM

I think its more for the offroad guys like myself who would like to see the pipe tucked in cause they damage so easily when they go down. If it ends up robbing from the low end then I would rather just keep the longer canister.

ok that does makes since.....I would think that aftermkt is probably coming out with shorter pipes eventually...
I would worry how the 08 stock pipe will perform on a 07/06 since it was not made for them in the first place...it may be good...it may not be good....:thumbsup:

• greentyler

Posted July 16, 2007 - 10:39 AM

if they would have put blue trim on the white plastic as opposed to the red it would have looked sooooo much better!

yami blue is the only color in my rainbow.

• rickallen124

Posted July 16, 2007 - 01:59 PM

I've heard through the grapevine that the '08 with an aftermarket pipe will still make less power than a stock '07. It appears that yamaha has detuned the motor to make it even smoother than the '07 which was smoother than the '06. Maybe the motor isn't fully broken in.I'm sure that could be changed with some motor work but what is yamaha thinking? The '08 is supposed to handle slightly better than the '07, but I think Yamaha is going to get dinged in the shootouts due to a boring motor. We all thought the motor changes were to increase the power but thats not the case from reports so far.

• warrior86

Posted July 16, 2007 - 07:00 PM

if they would have put blue trim on the white plastic as opposed to the red it would have looked sooooo much better!

yami blue is the only color in my rainbow.

The blue would be equally as nice as the red. They both look amazing. I am jealous and my bike isnt even a year old.:thumbsup:

• AZcrRider

Posted July 16, 2007 - 07:25 PM

I've heard through the grapevine that the '08 with an aftermarket pipe will still make less power than a stock '07. It appears that yamaha has detuned the motor to make it even smoother than the '07 which was smoother than the '06.

I guess the true test will when some accurate dyno tests come out. Didn't the 07 have 50hp -same as the honda? All I did to my 07' (for power delivery), was add a tooth to the rear, and I like it alot - still running the bazooka.

I am sure my buddy is going to try and get a WB system, and if he has to wait a while, he is actually going to try and put the bazooka off of his old 07' (if it fits) and see if that helps the bottom. Should be an interesting trade if he does.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.