How much do aftermarket accessories factor into resale of a bike?

25 replies to this topic
  • Climber

Posted July 17, 2007 - 12:31 PM

i dont know where your looking but all the yz450f's ive seen that havent been raced are running 5,000 or more, and the raced 1's are still at like 4,500.... i did however find a 2006 kx450f race bike for 3,800.... but anyways do you mind me asking where your looking for these bikes?

Usually craigslist, ebay, etc. The main thing that drives the price down is the price of a new bike that the dealers are trying to get rid of. Like the Vickery price, I mentioned earlier, of 5499 for an 07 really makes a used 06 worth less. For waht it's worth, last winter I tried to sell my 06 and the best offer I got was 4700, It had 2 rides on it. And, I only got 2 calls on it. I priced it at 5000 obo. People can ask whatever they want, but that does not mean they will even get a call. For example, there is a guy, craigslist in denver, that says 7000 firm on an 06 with some goodies on it. He won't get a seious call on it. But, his add give me a good laugh.

• Erik47

Posted July 17, 2007 - 12:53 PM

Usually craigslist, ebay, etc. The main thing that drives the price down is the price of a new bike that the dealers are trying to get rid of. Like the Vickery price, I mentioned earlier, of 5499 for an 07 really makes a used 06 worth less. For waht it's worth, last winter I tried to sell my 06 and the best offer I got was 4700, It had 2 rides on it. And, I only got 2 calls on it. I priced it at 5000 obo. People can ask whatever they want, but that does not mean they will even get a call. For example, there is a guy, craigslist in denver, that says 7000 firm on an 06 with some goodies on it. He won't get a seious call on it. But, his add give me a good laugh.

vickery has the price for an 07 at 5799 but thats still a real good price, anyways i havent seen much in the way of 2006 450's for a decent price on craigslist, and not many people are looking for newer 450's because people think there worth so much when there not, i tried to sell my 2006 ktm 450 sx and i just said screw it and sold it to the dealer instead... but the bike im looking at, a 2006 yz450f whas like 13,000$ + in extra parts... and i am easily going to pay the 6,000 he's asking even though i can get a new 07 450f for less, its a better deal IMO because i figure i would spend that extra money on the 07 that the 06 already has invested into it

• Climber

Posted July 18, 2007 - 05:24 AM

vickery has the price for an 07 at 5799 but thats still a real good price, anyways i havent seen much in the way of 2006 450's for a decent price on craigslist, and not many people are looking for newer 450's because people think there worth so much when there not, i tried to sell my 2006 ktm 450 sx and i just said screw it and sold it to the dealer instead... but the bike im looking at, a 2006 yz450f whas like 13,000$ + in extra parts... and i am easily going to pay the 6,000 he's asking even though i can get a new 07 450f for less, its a better deal IMO because i figure i would spend that extra money on the 07 that the 06 already has invested into it

Why did you sell the KTM? I saw that on RMXA.

I thnink that it is all up to you and what you want; as to what the bike is worth. For me, "bling" doesn't add anything. In the bike that I was looking at the only things that added anything to the value, were the things that I would need to replace, like chain/sprockets, good tires, suspension work, asv levers. The black wheels and hubs and the like are not worth anything to me.

On my 04, it came with radiator guards, skid plate, new o-ring chain and sprokets, Clark 3.(something gallon) tank, Billet top tree with renthall twin wall bars, Bark Busters, etc. It still had the original tires and the back was in good shape. I would not sell it for less than what I gave for it, but I wouldn't buy it for more either.

Right now, used bike prices are high. I will wait and pick up a nice creampuff this fall/winter for under 4000, if I'm still wanting another bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Erik47

Posted July 18, 2007 - 06:17 AM

i just really did not like the ktm, they are not good for bigger riders, and it felt slow, once i got rid of that and got the yamaha i was wow what the hell was wrong with the ktm because it was so slow compared to my yamaha... but ya used bike prices are really high right now, and ive already gotten a couple people interested in my bike for the full price so its good for me lol

• The Italian Stallion

Posted July 18, 2007 - 02:27 PM

We have a winner. That is why I'm looking to pick up another 06 for cheap. They are as good (many like the motor better than the 07s) as the newer bikes for my skill level. So, why spend a load of money just to get a new bike, if you can't afford it. I'm starting to think that these bikes are starting to reach a technology ceiling. Improvements are going to be less and less dramatic.

BTW the 06 I was looking at has about 4 races on it. I don't think the motor is abused.

Sounds like a steal man. To me machines are machines. Just like my carpenter tools If they are working good and kept in good shape why get rid of them? I agree with you on the technology ceiling point. Aside from the High reving 4 stroke engine dirt bikes have not really changed or progreesed in the last 10 to 13 years accept for better showroom stock suspension {for yamaha anyway]

• TapptOut

Posted July 21, 2007 - 10:23 PM

I think its mainly makes the bike look more attractive on paper, when your looking through ads and it says, ___ exhaust, ___ suspension, _____ bars, etc. you think wow that bike is nice.

Compared to

Completley stock.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.