How much do aftermarket accessories factor into resale of a bike?

25 replies to this topic
  • Climber

Posted July 13, 2007 - 05:27 PM

I'm interested in a 2006 yz450. It has been races about 4 times by a local pro and has between 25-50 hours on it (though the frame is not polished yet??????).

It has:

black billet hubs (not sure of brand)
black excell rims
heavy spokes
new tires (pirelli something front and a starcross on the back)
new plastics
nitrided fork legs
full suspension work including subtanks
Full Dr.D ti exhaust.

He is thinking mid $5000 range. I'm thinking less. But I'm a tightass.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 13, 2007 - 06:02 PM

I dont think that after mkt adds much to resale...I would find what a used 06 is going for in your area w/o all the bling and offer what you think the difference is worth.
I find for myself that it is better for me to put my bikes back to as close to stock as possible to resell and sell the aftermkt crap on TT or EBay or word of mouth to regain as much loss as possible.
The owner of this bike has put at least 2000-3400 in what you have listed in after mkt parts/suspension(if it is ENZO)
......he will be lucky to get 15-25% of the original cost on this stuff while on his bike
Since the bike is set up you decide how much more it is worth. It sounds nice and has little hrs on it..is this from a hr meter reading?
I would offer 4300 and probably settle for 4800 max - here in my state...I see this for 4500-4800 easy all day with this type bling
and we are damn cheap here:thumbsup:

Is it stock triple clamps?

polished frame meaning more hrs on it.........???

• meyermetal

Posted July 13, 2007 - 06:12 PM

Take as much off as you can replace with the original parts. Then sell!

You might be able to seal the deal by including some extra parts or keep them to install on your next bike.

Those $50.00 axle blocks wont raise your selling price one penny

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2007 - 06:14 PM

You are probably closer to right than he is. I usually buy used bikes because of exactly what you see there; a bunch of expensive aftermarket stuff that won't add much of anything to the price. I bought my '03 with about $2k worth of add-ons, including a $900 clutch, and a $700 exhaust for the same price being asked for stone stock bikes. Before that, the 250F I bought for junior was the same situation, just different parts.

They do add some value, but some of the most costly mods add the least. To add value, a thing has to increase the appeal of the bike to a buyer. Nitrided forks are pricey and cool, but the average buyer of a used bike is going to have trouble accepting that they cost as much as they do. If you don't weigh the same, and ride the same speed in the same kind of places, the suspension work may not match your needs any better than stock, either (but it might),

In the end, all that stuff mostly just makes the bike sell faster than a stocker, not for a lot more. I'd give him $300 more than the typical '06 sells for in your area.

Be sure of the brand of hubs. You don't want anything from Warp 9.

• Climber

Posted July 13, 2007 - 06:30 PM

Yeh, the only thing that I'm really interested in is the suspension...do't care so much about the wheels although those spokes would be nice.. BTW, he is the Pro-Action guy.

The frame has not been boot polished yet. So I figure under 20 hours. Oil change every other ride with oil and air filter.

I know that I will be able to pick up a used 06 for ~3800 this fall/winter, so that figures into it, alot. With all the stuff on it (minus the wheels) I would think mid to 4000 would be fair, this time of year. I know that he could do well on the wheels on ebay.

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 14, 2007 - 03:24 AM

a bunch of expensive aftermarket stuff that won't add much of anything to the price. .

Agreed.
I have purchased 4 used bikes over tha past 15 years, and I personally highly prefer COMPLETELY stock bikes. You get into buying bikes that are all pimped out with a grand worth of performance and bling added, and after talking to the seller you immediately realize the seller is clueless. When I add aftermarket stuff, it's always been modified suspension work, and when I go to re-sell my used bikes, I swap the aftermarket stuff back to stock. Aftermarket stuff is worth more off the bike than on.

• tnl

Posted July 14, 2007 - 06:21 AM

The added value from the NADA website for my wife's bike with a Jardine rt4 slip on muffler is only $90. I paid $260 for it new months ago?

• Justin89

Posted July 14, 2007 - 05:00 PM

Yeah, aftermarket stuff only makes it sell faster but not for more. I know people that had bone stock bikes for sell for months and then put on some black wheels and it sold in one day. He didn't get any more money out of the deal either. It is usually some kid that goes ape over a bike that "looks" cool but dosent give a damn about how it runs. Like the moderator said, offer him $3-400 bucks more.

• TMAC25

Posted July 15, 2007 - 01:14 AM

Anyway you look at it, I have seen 06 and 07 brand new yz450f's selling for 4900-5400. Also saw a 07 rmz450 Carmichael replica selling for 4999. Your better off going new at this time of the year, 08's are arriving and 07's will be on sale big time. Goos luck.

• blue9red9

Posted July 15, 2007 - 04:43 AM

Aftermarket stuff is great and it comes free to me with used bikes. I've bought many in the last five years for me and my kids. I don't really care about the aftermarket stuff, just the bike and it's condition. The bike in the original post is way overpriced at mid 5k. That's more than new. If he was a pro, it's been ridden well. Look at the condition of the bike and how new is the aftermarket stuff. Is it there cause the stock stuff is all worn out and gone? New plastics? Was the stock exhaust demolished? Who knows.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Climber

Posted July 16, 2007 - 05:48 AM

I agree with all of you. The aftermarket gooies, usually do nothing for resale except make the bike stand out and sell faster.

This bike is low hours. I could tell by looking at it. My 06, with ~30 hours has more wear on it, than this bike does. So I'm interested, but willing to wait to find a better deal. BTW, it comes with all the orginal stuff and it was removed right after the bike was purchased and is in good shape.

My rule is, don't spend more on it than you can sell it for the day you bought it.

Thanks for the replies.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 16, 2007 - 05:54 AM

My rule is, don't spend more on it than you can sell it for the day you bought it.

yep my rule to...but I always break that rule....I yank it all off and sell it later....

• The Italian Stallion

Posted July 16, 2007 - 05:47 PM

yep my rule to...but I always break that rule....I yank it all off and sell it later....

Yeh I agree with you . If the parts will fit on the new bike you buy why give them away? I see alot of guys spend stupid amounts of $ on bling and mods and then dump the thing at the end of the year and take a bath! on the resale just to get the next years model and start all over again.Must be nice to have$ falling out of your a.. hole. I am keeping my 06450 as long as I can Wow the 08s have black engine covers ooooowww I can't wait to sell my bike for a third of what I got into it and dump another 3500.on top! only to not go one bit faster on the new bike yeah I think I 'm gettin the fever!

• Erik47

Posted July 16, 2007 - 07:52 PM

its worth 5,000 if he didnt race it, but since it was raced by a local pro its probably torn to shit inside the motor, but the nitrate coated forks is deffinatley not cheap!!!

• Climber

Posted July 16, 2007 - 08:05 PM

Yeh I agree with you . If the parts will fit on the new bike you buy why give them away? I see alot of guys spend stupid amounts of $ on bling and mods and then dump the thing at the end of the year and take a bath! on the resale just to get the next years model and start all over again.Must be nice to have$ falling out of your a.. hole. I am keeping my 06450 as long as I can Wow the 08s have black engine covers ooooowww I can't wait to sell my bike for a third of what I got into it and dump another 3500.on top! only to not go one bit faster on the new bike yeah I think I 'm gettin the fever!

We have a winner. That is why I'm looking to pick up another 06 for cheap. They are as good (many like the motor better than the 07s) as the newer bikes for my skill level. So, why spend a load of money just to get a new bike, if you can't afford it. I'm starting to think that these bikes are starting to reach a technology ceiling. Improvements are going to be less and less dramatic.

BTW the 06 I was looking at has about 4 races on it. I don't think the motor is abused.

• Erik47

Posted July 16, 2007 - 08:24 PM

where you at in colorado??? ill sell you my 03 thats really sick for 3,300 i just put like 800 into it last week.... if not oh well but im looking at getting a 06 that is seriously the sickest bike i have ever laid my eyes upon for 6,000 and it has 15 hrs on it.... but the guy has reciepts adding up to 14 grand worth of parts, and he never raced it, or has even fallen on it...

and are you thinking of this bike??? the guy has it posted at 7 g's but will never get that much
http://denver.craigs.../375479740.html

• Climber

Posted July 17, 2007 - 05:30 AM

where you at in colorado??? ill sell you my 03 thats really sick for 3,300 i just put like 800 into it last week.... if not oh well but im looking at getting a 06 that is seriously the sickest bike i have ever laid my eyes upon for 6,000 and it has 15 hrs on it.... but the guy has reciepts adding up to 14 grand worth of parts, and he never raced it, or has even fallen on it...

and are you thinking of this bike??? the guy has it posted at 7 g's but will never get that much
http://denver.craigs.../375479740.html

No it's not that bike. I know the guy who has it and he is just now thinking of selling it. That guy is stoned. He'll never get that from anyone with any sense. Vickery has new 07s for $5499. And as this discussion has pointed out, the aftermarket stuff doesn't really add anything to the resale value of the bike.

BTW, I picked up a 04 yz450 for 2500 with alot of addons and it still had the paint on the frame. The guy had the bike for sale for 5 months.

• Erik47

Posted July 17, 2007 - 07:17 AM

No it's not that bike. I know the guy who has it and he is just now thinking of selling it. That guy is stoned. He'll never get that from anyone with any sense. Vickery has new 07s for $5499. And as this discussion has pointed out, the aftermarket stuff doesn't really add anything to the resale value of the bike.

BTW, I picked up a 04 yz450 for 2500 with alot of addons and it still had the paint on the frame. The guy had the bike for sale for 5 months.

ya mine does too, but im willing to bet mine is way nicer... but anyways im just trying to start selling it, so im not going below 3,000 and blue book value is like 3,000 but since ive just put 800 into thats brand new and never riden on, im sticking firm at 3,300 for now

• Climber

Posted July 17, 2007 - 11:05 AM

ya mine does too, but im willing to bet mine is way nicer... but anyways im just trying to start selling it, so im not going below 3,000 and blue book value is like 3,000 but since ive just put 800 into thats brand new and never riden on, im sticking firm at 3,300 for now

Good luck with that.

I expect to give around 3800 -4000 for an 06 in the fall, if I don't get this guy down on his price.

• Erik47

Posted July 17, 2007 - 11:34 AM

i dont know where your looking but all the yz450f's ive seen that havent been raced are running 5,000 or more, and the raced 1's are still at like 4,500.... i did however find a 2006 kx450f race bike for 3,800.... but anyways do you mind me asking where your looking for these bikes?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.