fitting a seat cover ?

6 replies to this topic
  • RodH

Posted May 07, 2000 - 04:55 PM

Just about to buy a good staple gun and attack the new seat cover that I bought. Just like to know if there are and tips or traps that I should be aware of while doing this, as it cost $125 AUD and I don't want to stuff it up.
Or should I just get an upholsterer (spelling?) to do it ?
Has anyone done their own, and how did it go ?

------------------
R o d. H. Canberra, Australia400 Thumpers Australia
2000 WR400FL
White Brother E-Series Tapered header, Devol Rad. guards, Renthals, WB frame guards, UFO rear guard and fork guards, Fastline braided brake hose.

• mcarp

Posted May 07, 2000 - 08:12 PM

I just did mine. What a pain! Be prepared to re-do about 20-30% of the staples. Just pull it a few directions before your staple and don't be afraid to staple 3, remove 1. If there is some *small* wrinkles-don't worry about them, you can get them later or they will simply go away. It will loosen up in a day or two so you can stretch and staple some more. :) It actually isn't too bad.

Pressing hard on the staple gun while forcing the material to stretch more seemed to improve things. Oh yeah, just after the first few staples at the front, I stretched and stapled the rear to help the cover begin it's initial stretch faster and to hold it straighter. This also lets you visualize the angle at the rear to decide if foam trimming is req'd. I did some trimming to angle into the fender to my preference. At a point about 1/3 way complete down the sides with the rear stretched, I stopped for a few hours to let it stretch and to let my hands rest. I used no tools except the staple gun and staple remover. OK, the beer was an essential tool to this job, make sure you have some on hand :D

It took about 1 1/2 hours total actual work (drinking time not included) including new tank/tank hardware install the first day, then about 20 mins a few days later to perfect the job after it has stretched more. (sober up)

You'll be fine. If the seat is all vinyl, it will be easiest. But it seems us WR riders are never ones to go the easy route!

There seems to be somewhat of an art to it, I think it's the beer and lot's of patience pulling out staples!

• WFO_DON

Posted May 08, 2000 - 02:46 AM

I INSTALLED A GRIPPER SEAT COVER.USED A BLACK AND DECKER STAPLE GUN 3/8 LENGTH STAPLES.THE FUNKY SHAPED STAPLE GUN.THE TRICK IS TO WARM UP THE COVER SO THAT WHEN IT COOLS DOWN IT WILL SHRINK AND WAM-O NO WRINKLES.MY COVER LOOKS LIKE FACTORY INSTALLED.YOU CAN STAPLE RIGHT OVER YOUR FACTORY COVER ALSO.START WITH THE FRONT FIRST THEN THE BACK AND THEN THE SIDES.

[This message has been edited by WFO_DON (edited 05-08-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 08, 2000 - 06:31 AM

RodH, Tips: Do this in the sun,staple end to end first then stretch the knee section big time,staple like crazy, Tools needed:6pack.staple gun,screwdriver,razor and 1 hour of your time. This was really easy.

• Dougie

Posted May 08, 2000 - 04:39 PM

I'm not sure if everyone else gets this deal but I get 10% off every purchase from the dealer where I bought my bike. What does that have to do with putting on a seat cover? Well I'm going to tell you.

I bought my new graphics and cover from the dealer (saving 10%). Since I bought it from them, they put my seat cover on for free. Excellent job too. No aggrivation on my part at all. It helps if you have a good relationship with your dealer.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

• RodH

Posted May 08, 2000 - 05:26 PM

Round 1
Started to do it, but the staple gun was too small, but the staples were 3/8 ones, so they were left sticking out.

Round 2
Buy a bigger staple gun maybe a more industrial one ? Then I will attack it once more.

Round 3
Hopefully not !!

------------------
R o d. H. Canberra, Australia400 Thumpers Australia
2000 WR400FL
White Brother E-Series Tapered header, Devol Rad. guards, Renthals, WB frame guards, UFO rear guard and fork guards, Fastline braided brake hose.

• MotoGreg

Posted May 08, 2000 - 05:37 PM

Do the front and rear ends first. When doing the middle, place the seat up-side-down on the bench and push the center down to flex the seat a little flatter. Staple the sides like this and when you let go it'll bend back into shape and pull the cover tighter... no wrinkles.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.