2000 wr suspension

9 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 06, 2000 - 03:01 PM

I got a question? I know that the 2000 models come with seperate compression and rebound clickers for both the fork and the shock. What about the high and low speed compression adjusters? I heard that they were seperate on the shock, but for the fork you just turn the compression adjuster 1/6 of a click for high compression. Is this correct? I can only find one adjuster for compression on the rear shock and I think it is the low speed. It is located on top of the nitrogen resevior and it is a little standerd skrew. I know that rebound for the shock is adjusted on the very bottem of the shock, near the linkage. Any, insight would be greatly appreciated!
Angel Boy

• mcarp

Posted May 06, 2000 - 06:25 PM

The fork is rebound and compression adjustable. The bottom screw under the black plugs are comp, the tops are rebound.

The rear shock has high and low speed. The red ring around the rear low speed compression screw is the high speed compression. Stock is around 3 o'clock (little dots match up). I have mine at around noon for trail work, and put it at stock for MX. Use a 17mm wrench to adjust-a little is a lot.

Experiement, it really pays off.

• JamesD

Posted May 06, 2000 - 08:44 PM

Lighter fork oil makes the front end more responsive to smaller bumps and rough tarrain. You will have to increase the damping though. I have yet to try it yet but it's high on my list.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 07, 2000 - 09:16 PM

Mcarp, that was exactly what I was looking for. I have new springs coming in and was frustraited that I didn't know how to set the high compression for the rear shock.
Thanks for the info
Angel Boy

• Darren_Santilli

Posted May 07, 2000 - 11:51 AM

Forgive me for being ignorant, but what is the difference between high and low speed damping on the rear shock?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 08, 2000 - 10:30 AM

one is red and one is silver :)

• James_Dean

Posted May 08, 2000 - 11:04 AM

In Colorado they use the High speed adjuster and in Florida they use the low speed adjuster.

• JamesD

Posted May 08, 2000 - 02:20 PM

Originally posted by James Dean:
In Colorado they use the High speed adjuster and in Florida they use the low speed adjuster.

• mcarp

Posted May 08, 2000 - 03:22 PM

The high speed is when the rear suspension is moving fast-like landing from a jump or hitting a square edge rock at high speed. Turning the red knob counterclockwise will make it softer, therefore will bottom more easily but be more compliant on the trail. A little turn is a lot!

The low-speed circuit is used for all other compression that is NOT high speed. When landing from a jump, the low speed is not even used (or at least that's my impression, may be incorrect).

If you are consistently bottoming the shock and you have the high-speed set tight, you probably need a stiffer spring or at least adjust the one you have.

• James_Dean

Posted May 08, 2000 - 05:25 PM

-High speed is referring to shock speed as mcarp has said. A sharp rock or root hit while riding at 20 mph can produce the same shock speed as a rounded edge at 50 mph, these are both high speed damping. Also landing from a jump on the initial impact. Impacts that want to dent your rims are high speed.
-Low speed is slower moving damping like G-outs or slower oscillating(rolling) bumps. It also can influence handling when the back end feels loose.
-Many conditions are a mixture of high and low speed. Whoops ridden faster use more high speed, and when ridden slower use low speed. Experiment with each at the extremes to get a feel for what is going on.
-An often disregarded fact is that the rebound adjuster can influence low speed compression damping so try to make only one change at a time.
-Adjustments beyond the clicker range can be made by revalving the shim stack. Choose a shop experienced with your bike and be sure to explain thoroughly what your needs are.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.