Radiator fluid?

14 replies to this topic
  • Dougie

Posted May 06, 2000 - 03:34 AM

I want to replace my rad fluid and I was wondering if I can use any brand from an auto parts store to do so. I thought I remember there was a certain kind you need to use in the bike. Maybe I dreamed it.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

• gbernard

Posted May 06, 2000 - 04:59 AM

DOUG. ANY RAD CONDITIONER WILL DO BUT A GOOD,READ EXPENSVIE , ONE IS BEST. TRY A PREMIXED ONE.

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 06, 2000 - 06:46 AM

Dougie,
If you use the mix type (I do), use demineralized water. The minerals in your tap water will plate onto the internal surfaces of your radiator. This will reduce your heat transfer coefficient across your radiator.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 06, 2000 - 07:16 AM

Before I bought my new WR I read in one of the dirt bikin' rags that the pre-mix is the way to go. I remember the article talking me into it because of harsh silicates and abrasives that are in the store bought stuff. Once again, its a little bit more expensive but when your riding and racin', its worth it to me.

------------------
Darin from Missouri WR400F Pro-Tapers, Applied TC, Clarke 3.3, YZ seat, Scotts Shark Fin, FMF PC IV S.A., One Industries Hannah Retro Kit, WER Steering Dampner,Pacemaker Computer, Andrews Powder Coating-painted gloss black

• MotoGreg

Posted May 06, 2000 - 03:34 PM

I work for Honda (cars) and Honda coolant doesn't have silicates in it and the inside of the cooling systems stay clean as a whistle, no buildup of crap. I'd use that coolant if possible. Also, I put plain water with "water wetter" in and the impeller seal promptly started to leak so I went back to coolant/water mix.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• JamesD

Posted May 06, 2000 - 09:04 PM

I read a little warning the Honda dealer put up by their coolant about silicates and water pump failures in Goldwings.

Just because most of the failures were on bikes using coolant with silicates does not mean that was the cause of the failures. It probably just means that's the % of Goldwings that end up with coolant containing silacates in it. Really, how many people buy coolant at the Honda dealer?

Silicates shouldn't be any worse on a bike than a car. I really hate when statistics are misused.

• James_Dean

Posted May 06, 2000 - 09:28 PM

Dougie,
Take the advice above, a friend with a CR500 had his radiator completely clogged with white crystals after paying no attention to the warnings. His waterpump also developed a hole internally from pitting in the cases. Since then I have only used the Honda premixed coolant.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JamesD

Posted May 06, 2000 - 11:19 PM

Ok... were the white crystals from the silicates in the antifreeze or from the calcium, clorine, iron, and other minerals in the water he used? The silicates are in the antifreeze to reduce that kind of buildup since tapwater is normally used with it.

A buddy with a cooling system problem without any proof of what caused it doesn't mean a whole lot. I know of over a dozzen bikes that use regular coolant with no problems... it doesn't mean there isn't a problem with silicates on some bikes. What I'm saying is there is no scientific evidence to show the antifreeze caused any failure.

Just failing to change the coolant on a regular basis can cause problems because the protectants in the anifreeze break down over time. If you use distilled water it's no big deal but tap water is another thing.

Premixed antifreeze does avoid both possible problems... silicates or bad water. If you use regular antifreeze you are a lot safer mixing it with distilled water.

• MotoGreg

Posted May 07, 2000 - 02:23 PM

Damn everyone sure is uptight around here.

I worked for 10 years at an idependent shop and saw how every car gets the builup of white crusty crap that you have to scrap off everytime you change a hose. Water necks gets pin holes eaten through them, ect...
I've been at Honda for four years now and the majority of our customers only come to us and we only use Honda coolant (it isn't mixed from the factory, we mix it with 50% tap water). The problem is none exsistent in these cars. This is a simple no brainer. I guess Honda goes to the extra trouble/expense just for the hell of it? If you don't want to be bothered than fine, use whatever, but don't try and steer innocent people away from what's good for their bikes because you have some kind of problem/lack of understanding.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• James_Dean

Posted May 08, 2000 - 04:37 AM

JamesD,
The white crystals were probably from trace minerals such as magnesium and Zinc in the system. Electrolysis from the use of hard water mixed with the colant was probably the cause of the corrosion.
The manuals from Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha all have warnings or cautions to use distilled or soft water when mixing the 50/50 coolant solution. I never have distilled water so its easier to just buy the 1 quart of premixed coolant.

• fitness2go

Posted May 29, 2007 - 09:55 PM

I know this thread is super-old, but how often do you have to change your radiator fluid?

• dazzabb

Posted May 29, 2007 - 10:28 PM

Just changed my rad fluid and after draining it I filled it up with Radiator Cleaning Soln and went for a 20 min ride.

Left that in overnight and drained it the next morning. It was pretty shitty so it was money well spent.

Then filled her up with the premixed coolant as proposed by most of these replies.

• SXP

Posted May 30, 2007 - 05:36 AM

Just changed my rad fluid and after draining it I filled it up with Radiator Cleaning Soln and went for a 20 min ride.

Left that in overnight and drained it the next morning. It was pretty shitty so it was money well spent.

Then filled her up with the premixed coolant as proposed by most of these replies.

I would have flushed it one more time with distilled water before filling her up with coolant. The cleaner is acidic, and ideally should be completely flushed out of the system.

• mcfly

Posted May 30, 2007 - 08:05 AM

I would have flushed it one more time with distilled water before filling her up with coolant. The cleaner is acidic, and ideally should be completely flushed out of the system.

Yes, as he said, always flush the cleaner out very very well.
You may wish to dump the coolant despite it being new, and refill again.

• dazzabb

Posted May 31, 2007 - 01:04 AM

Good Point re flushing the radiator clean after using the cleaner, I never thought about that!

I'll dump the fluid and refil again with new stuff.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.