What rad guards should I buy?

6 replies to this topic
  • ScottyR

Posted May 03, 2000 - 04:26 PM

Would brand of guards do you guys recommend? I just bent my left side rad on the weekend and after spending $100 to fix it I guess I better have some protection.(hindsight 20/20 I guess!!) What brand are the beefiest that will protect my bike from those magnetic trees? Thanks! Scotty

• Bryan

Posted May 03, 2000 - 04:55 PM

The ones offered by Thumper Racing seem to be the beefiest. I tried the Works Connections guards and they are lamo. Radiator repairs cost me 75 bucks. Now I have the Thumper Racing guards. They are thick and surround the radiator and attach front and back.

Bryan...

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted May 04, 2000 - 12:13 PM

Bryan,
What did you have to do to install the damn things? I have a set of the Thumper rad guards that I have yet to successfully install.
First time I tried the stock bolts aren't long enough to go thru the provided spacers.
Turns out the 'proper' bolts were not included - packing mistake.
Second time (after Thumper sent bolts - thks Thumper for the quick response) I still could not get the new bolts to engage the threads on the mounts.

Of course, both times I've tried to install the darn things its been 11 pm the night before leaving to go riding so I just gave up.

What length bolts did you end up using & how the hell did you get a wrench/socket on the front mounts?

Brian

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kyle

Posted May 08, 2000 - 07:48 AM

Scotty,
I just bent my left side too. Was it $100 for the radiator or just to fix it? And was it from Yamaha or an aftermarket? I think mine is beyond repair.

Kyle

• Bryan

Posted May 08, 2000 - 09:18 PM

Sorry Brian. I just now saw your post.
My supplied allen bolts were a slight challenge but went on fairly easily. I'm surprized you had trouble. Are you running with a YZ tank? Mine is the stock WR tank (with go-fast stickers on it).

Bryan...

• ScottyR

Posted May 08, 2000 - 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Kyle:
Scotty,
I just bent my left side too. Was it $100 for the radiator or just to fix it? And was it from Yamaha or an aftermarket? I think mine is beyond repair.

Kyle

Kyle, it was $100CDN to get it fixed. My dealer, Machine Racing in Newmarket, ONT looked after fixing it for me. A new left side rad is $400 CDN. Right side is even more!! They told me that they can fix just about anything no matter how bad it looks - same price no matter how bad it is wrecked. Good Luck!! Scotty

• Matt_Porritt

Posted May 08, 2000 - 02:41 PM

After doing this ($200NZ to fix)
I use Devols now.
And I didn't even fall off!! :)
Posted Image

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

[This message has been edited by Matt Porritt (edited 05-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Matt Porritt (edited 05-08-2000).]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.