xr600 for street, good idea?

32 replies to this topic
  • 05 trx450r

Posted July 21, 2007 - 09:34 AM

smicer.. so it would seem you get over 40mpg (sorry i dont know liters very well) and you ride about the same speed on the freeyway as i would

thanks, JOSH

• smicer

Posted July 21, 2007 - 09:05 PM

haha,....well...i am dumb dumb on mpg...:banghead:

• 05 trx450r

Posted July 21, 2007 - 10:52 PM

lol.. thats not what i mean.. i only meant i dont use metric very often..

JOSH

• smicer

Posted July 22, 2007 - 12:38 AM

no worries man...i really didn't take notice how many kilos per litre my bike did...but with estimation about 19-21km/ltr...

• Dickie

Posted July 22, 2007 - 07:02 PM

The tank bag is the Wolfman Expedition small that I got directly from Wolfman.
The tank panniers came from Tractor Supply, they are for an ATV but work great on the bike and only cost $30.
The rear duffel bag is a Seal Line and can be bought at just about any sporting goods store like Dicks or BassPro.
The rear rack came on an old XR650L that I bought a couple years ago, I'm not sure what brand it is.

thanks for the info, other than the extra accessories, what have you had to replace on the bike?
My '92 needs valve seals I think, but it runs strong like bull.

• 05 trx450r

Posted July 22, 2007 - 08:05 PM

if it smokes, blue, in the morning when you first start it and after a few revs goes away its mostlikly valve seals. but if it leaves a smoke screen like james bond while at WOT your lookin at rings..

JOSH

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dickie

Posted July 23, 2007 - 06:29 PM

if it smokes, blue, in the morning when you first start it and after a few revs goes away its mostlikly valve seals. but if it leaves a smoke screen like james bond while at WOT your lookin at rings..

JOSH

It puffs a little when you give it full throttle and when downshifting. I just had a shop check it last week and they said compression is good and it doesn't need rings.......I think I will just roll with it for now, but it defintely needs a little help eventually

• 05 trx450r

Posted July 23, 2007 - 07:17 PM

did they do a leak down check??

JOSH

• Dickie

Posted July 23, 2007 - 07:35 PM

did they do a leak down check??

JOSH

not sure, what is that exactly?

• martinfan30

Posted July 23, 2007 - 07:42 PM

not sure, what is that exactly?

this will tell you exactly what your problem is due to compression loss. either thru head gasket , intake or even exhaust. very pinpoint to your problem, if there is one.

• Dickie

Posted July 23, 2007 - 08:06 PM

this will tell you exactly what your problem is due to compression loss. either thru head gasket , intake or even exhaust. very pinpoint to your problem, if there is one.

How much does it cost?

The shop I took it to last week said compression was good. I don't see any leaks or puddles.

• 05 trx450r

Posted July 23, 2007 - 10:23 PM

well you wont see a leak.. you put the psiton to topdead center and then hook up a specail gauge to where the piston goes. and since the enigne is at TDC all the valves are closed, so when you put compressed air in with the special gauge set you can see how much is leaking out and where its leaking out to..

if it escaped through the exhaust you have an exhaust valve problem, same with intake, or if you hear it from the crank breather you have ring problem. also you can out a small amnount of oil intot he spark plug hoke AND if the leak % goes down a significant amount, then for sure its the rings..

JOSH

• Dickie

Posted July 24, 2007 - 03:19 PM

cool, that is good info. I called the shop back today to confirm that the bike is healthy. They assured me that it is in fine shape, has good compression, doesn't need rings, or valve work.....that's great that they were honest considering I was willing to drop a little money on what I thought needed to be done. I suppose that if it needs valve work it isn't significant enough to take the top end apart at this point.....that leaves me money to spend on other goodies for the pig, so I ordered some new tires and I am looking for some handguards!!!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.