2 replies to this topic

Posted May 06, 2000 - 05:03 AM

Just come back from riding with a friend. Unfortuanately he took a rather heavy fall (nothing broken). I was sat at the end of a long straight on the track watching him come towards me. The track conditionds were good. He was travelling straight at high speed when the front wheel just washed out from under him. This resulted in him and the bike tumbling down the remainder of the straight. He weigh approx 90 kilo's. Is this a problem with the bike and suspension set. What can he do to avoid a similar incident. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 06, 2000 - 06:43 AM

You can improve the bikes cornering prowness by raising the forks up in the triple clamps. Consult you owners manual prior to doing so. If raised up too much, bottoming your forks may result in the front tire coming in contact with the underside of the front fender. You will cartwheel your bike. Hopefully you wil catapault yourself in a huge bowl of cotton.

• WR400_Jay

Posted May 07, 2000 - 03:32 AM

Kevin is right about raising the forks. I just came off a YZ250 and hopped on my 00'WR expecting it to turn almost the same and boy was I in for a suprise :) It would push through corners I use to cut right through. I found myself flat tracking through the corners. I raised my forks up in the clamps and then reset my rear suspension sag to about 90mm. I think the manual recommends 95-100mm. High speed stability isn't a problem on this bike and I've never gotten any head shake. I also replaced the tank and seat with a stock YZ426 stuff. The tank and seat really helps the turning. Good luck.

Almost forgot! Check your front suspension settings. If the fork is set up too stiff the front wheel can lose contact with the ground in small bumpy sections causing the bike to washout. Good Luck :D

00'WR400 75'Yamaha 250 enduro
White e-Series S-bend 12 discs, Yz timed, rejetted to Clark specs, throttle stop cut, lid removed, Topar Racing top clamp, Tag Metals T2 bars, Scotts damper, Devol disc guard and frame guards, lights removed, Cr routed Fastline brakeline, Acerbis Rally pro hand guards fastened to the top clamp, Gel grips Live in Southwest Ohio

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.