bike ate my pencil!

22 replies to this topic
  • azmanxman

Posted July 12, 2007 - 09:01 PM

And the idiot of the week award goes to.................................me!!

I used the "pencil in the spark plug hole" trick to find TDC (I know I read about doing this somewhere) and yep, up came the piston and snapped about 1/2" of it off. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Any suggestions on a *easy* way to get it out??

The idea of tearing the whole engine apart is not at all appealing and probably beyond my mechanical ability to attempt alone.

ANY help is greatfully received.

Craig

• calgaryfiddy

Posted July 12, 2007 - 09:15 PM

Pick the bike up, turn it upside down and shake it around a bit.

Seriously though thats sucks...try to get one of the "pincher picker upper tools" know the one i'm talking about, you squeeze the handle and the three little prongs stick out. That tool has saved me a lot at work. (apprentice auto tech)

Other than that i dont have any suggestions, agh...big bore kit while the head is off ??

• beezerjoe

Posted July 12, 2007 - 10:59 PM

Pick the bike up, turn it upside down and shake it around a bit.

Seriously though thats sucks...try to get one of the "pincher picker upper tools" know the one i'm talking about, you squeeze the handle and the three little prongs stick out. That tool has saved me a lot at work. (apprentice auto tech)

Other than that i dont have any suggestions, agh...big bore kit while the head is off ??

I've know of a guy who dropped one of those little metal spark plug caps into his cylinder before and that is how he got it out. Three guys turned upside down and shook it till it fell out.

10-4 on the big bore.

• frogman

Posted July 12, 2007 - 11:23 PM

Get another pencil with a piece of sticky chewing gum on the tip.
(Don't tell anybody but I did the same thing once)

• dick757

Posted July 13, 2007 - 02:01 AM

Take the header off and put it to bottom dead center, than pull it out of the exhaust holes

• Kawabuggy

Posted July 13, 2007 - 05:16 AM

Or if all else fails, just remove the head. It's really not that difficult. You can do it with the engine in the frame so DON'T remove the engine.

You know that there are timing marks under the left hand side engine cover accessible by removing the allen-head cap plugs that will let you get to TDC without sticking anything into the spark plug hole.... right?

Do you have a 600, or the 650R? If the 650R disregard everything I have said as I have never worked on one, and don't know anything about them.. Sorry.

• blackoaktree

Posted July 13, 2007 - 05:22 AM

Did you try a shop vac?

• Rockjockey

Posted July 13, 2007 - 05:30 AM

Shopvac with a piece of clear tubing that will fit in the sparkplug hole ductaped to the vac hose..

• bigredxr

Posted July 13, 2007 - 05:54 AM

The easy way to handle this is to figure out a way to magnatize the carbon in the pencil and then fish it out with a piece of thin steel.:thumbsup: Just kidding; hope u get it out.

• DougWood

Posted July 13, 2007 - 06:00 AM

Take the header off and put it to bottom dead center, than pull it out of the exhaust holes

Get another pencil with a piece of sticky chewing gum on the tip.
(Don't tell anybody but I did the same thing once)

You guys have some good ideas to remember.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boy named sue

Posted July 13, 2007 - 07:10 AM

Dick you know better that would work with a 2 stroke but a 4 come on man the pencil would have to make it's way through the valves first and I can't see that happening ."Thumper"

• hondacrf150f1

Posted July 13, 2007 - 07:59 AM

I used a flat headed screwdriver to find TDC, its almost impossible to mess anything up with that.

• DGXR

Posted July 13, 2007 - 11:15 AM

I never understood why everyone thinks it's so critical to get the piston to TDC on the compression stroke. It does not seem necessary to me... just take the valve cover(s) off, turn over the engine until the exhaust valves close, turn it a bit more just to be sure they're completely closed, hold the crank still somehow (so the engine does not turn) and adjust them. Turn the engine over a few times and double-check. Done with exhaust valves. Do the same for the intakes. It always worked fine for me... call me :thumbsup:

• Jeekinz

Posted July 13, 2007 - 11:21 AM

I used a flat headed screwdriver to find TDC, its almost impossible to mess anything up with that.

din.ding.ding. We have a winner!:thumbsup:

• Denn10

Posted July 13, 2007 - 12:19 PM

LOL its a 4 stroke i have no ideas that already said but GL

• martinfan30

Posted July 13, 2007 - 01:26 PM

I never understood why everyone thinks it's so critical to get the piston to TDC on the compression stroke. It does not seem necessary to me... just take the valve cover(s) off, turn over the engine until the exhaust valves close, turn it a bit more just to be sure they're completely closed, hold the crank still somehow (so the engine does not turn) and adjust them. Turn the engine over a few times and double-check. Done with exhaust valves. Do the same for the intakes. It always worked fine for me... call me :thumbsup:

ya buddy! this is how i do mine and all the rocker type engines at work. good every time!

• Maroast

Posted July 13, 2007 - 01:44 PM

screw it. Put the plug back in, kick it over and run it till the pencil burns up...i bet all you'll notice it a bit more carbon coming out the tail. Glad to help.

oh and next time try using a crayon, one of those tick ones that wont snap so easy.

• martinfan30

Posted July 13, 2007 - 01:47 PM

screw it. Put the plug back in, kick it over and run it till the pencil burns up...i bet all you'll notice it a bit more carbon coming out the tail. Glad to help.

oh and next time try using a crayon, one of those tick ones that wont snap so easy.

LOL!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :busted: :cheers: :bonk:

• dick757

Posted July 13, 2007 - 02:03 PM

Dick you know better that would work with a 2 stroke but a 4 come on man the pencil would have to make it's way through the valves first and I can't see that happening ."Thumper"

Sorry
did you check from the spark plug hole or other place
Spark plug intake, my idea works, other, My bad

• Coolidge

Posted July 13, 2007 - 02:45 PM

You guys have some good ideas to remember.:thumbsup:

....Better yet, to remember NOT to use the 'pencil to find TDC' trick! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.