suspension sag?

4 replies to this topic
  • Slinkyman16

Posted July 12, 2007 - 08:59 PM

i know this has been covered but after looking through 3-4 pages of info i havnt found the correct answer.. should my rear sag be set between 95-105mm? pretty much between 3 3/4ths and 4.15 inches of travel? as of right now im cross rutting and pushing a bit in the front.. anyone's thoughts on suspension settings? whats everyone running.. i havnt revalved my suspension yet so its still on the factory springs and settings.

thanks
josh

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2007 - 09:31 PM

Assuming you have an '06-7, 95-97mm and slide the fork up 5-6mm higher than flush.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slinkyman16

Posted July 12, 2007 - 09:40 PM

thanks grey, i forgot to mention that i already did raise the forks up to the first line, and it made a world of difference.. what about free sag, what should that be set at?

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2007 - 06:59 AM

So, we agree on what we're talking about, and maybe someone else can follow it, there is race (or rider) sag, and free sag. Only race sag is adjusted.

Race sag, as you know, is the amount that the rear suspension compresses when you are standing with 100% of your weight on the pegs, compared with the suspension fully extended on a stand.

Free sag is checked after the race sag is set, and it's used as a reference to determine whether the rear spring is near the right rate for your size. Free sag is how much the rear suspension compresses with no rider on board, bike on the ground, and it should be about 25mm (1 inch).

If it's less than that, the spring is too soft. If it's more, it's too stiff. At first, that seems backward, but think what really happens. If your spring has too low a spring rate, you will have to preload it farther than you should in order to get the right race sag, and that will mean that it will lift the back of the bike farther than it should when you get off. If the spring is way too stiff, it will compress very little when you sit on the bike, and you'll have to back off the adjuster to the point that the free sag will be excessive.

The free sag "rule" is just a rule of thumb, but it works fairly well. The right spring for you may be different than what shows as right by that method, but it will usually be something close. Either way, you set the race sag, and then if the free sag is wrong, you change the spring.

• Slinkyman16

Posted July 13, 2007 - 10:50 AM

thanks grey..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.