New YZ 440 Spied…

16 replies to this topic
  • Ron_in_SoCal

Posted May 04, 2000 - 07:48 AM

Yep, I've seen it. A person I know is in possession of four brand new from the factory YZ440's for testing purposes. Look like a mid-year release! No word on a WR version yet…

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted May 04, 2000 - 08:47 AM

LIGHTER, IS IT LIGHTER????????

Was the Frame Aluminum????
Ron, any other bits of info??

They are supposed to roll out the whole 2001 line at the start of the dealer series in SoCal....

------------------
Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

[This message has been edited by Chris in the Mojave (edited 05-04-2000).]

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted May 04, 2000 - 09:27 PM

I was not "allowed" to give them the once over, and only got a quick glance at the whole bike. I was, however, allowed to look at the 440 sticker of the rear fender as long as I wanted (the bikes were under tarps). With the exception of saying 440, the sticker looks the save as the 426 model. Believe me, I wish I knew more.

I'll try to get more info tonight…

• JamesD

Posted May 04, 2000 - 11:13 AM

I always thought the WR stayed at 400cc because a larger bike would be in a different class.

The 440 must be to head off the KTM, Honda and Cannondale real or vaporware.

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted May 04, 2000 - 12:39 PM

Okay, You've got me....if you're playing...you got me hook line and sinker :)

If he lifts the tarp again, WE NEED TO KNOW ROUND TUBING for the frame or SQUARE TUBING. We'll take it from there! That is unless you get a chance to "lift" one and give us the calibrated bicep opinion on it's weight....

Ron, Any suggestions on a "good" track to go practice at next week ???? :D Sunrise, Glen Helen????

------------------
Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted May 04, 2000 - 01:15 PM

Elsinore!

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted May 04, 2000 - 02:46 PM

Sorry guys, I can't tell you who has them (Mike Baker) or where they are (pro-tec), or what thier web address is (http://www.pro-tecperformance.com).

I really wish I could tell someone...

If you call them about the 440, you did NOT hear it from me. :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 04, 2000 - 05:12 PM

GEE Ron!!!!!!!Do you think they might be at Tom and Dans and they are going to test them at Glen Helen? I wish you could tell us more. I am going to Glen Helen this Sat. I will probably run into Dallas there. He may have some of them decals.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGreg

Posted May 04, 2000 - 07:22 PM

Hey, I just got back from Elsinore about an hour ago, I rode until dark and didn't see any yz440.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• Matt_Porritt

Posted May 05, 2000 - 02:07 AM

Was the Frame Aluminum????

I doubt be'll ever see a aluminium frame on a YZ.WR.
BAsically due to the fact that aluminiums tensile strenght is about 1/3 of that of steel tube the same size.
So you have to have 3 times as much aluminium to get the same strength. which makes it the same weight as steel 1/3 of the diameter.
When the CR's went to alloy.. their weight didn't change.

BTW its also alot more expensive to manufacture.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted May 05, 2000 - 07:16 AM

Update:

Definitely not a aluminum frame. Looks just like a 426. Different bore & stroke. Word has it the thing has gobs more lowend grunt. Sources very tight lipped for now…

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 05, 2000 - 07:22 AM

440? Cool man! When is the 480 coming out?

• MotoGreg

Posted May 05, 2000 - 08:07 PM

We'll I'm looking at the aluminum frame 426 as we speak in the new Dirt Rider June issue page 32 and it looks sweet.

Somehow I don't see Yamaha going to all this expense for just one race bike...

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11

[This message has been edited by MotoGreg (edited 05-05-2000).]

• Matt_Porritt

Posted May 05, 2000 - 11:08 PM

We'll I'm looking at the aluminum frame 426 as we speak in the new Dirt Rider June issue page 32 and it looks sweet. Somehow I don't see Yamaha going to all this expense for just one race bike...

Why not??
What do you think McGraths bike is worth or Lusks??
Its not the frame thats heavy.. its the motor.
Thats why the KTMs are so light.

------------------
--
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

• MotoGreg

Posted May 06, 2000 - 03:50 PM

Ya I know the motor is heavy and I'm not saying an aluminum frame will save a ton of weight... I'm just saying that it looks like we'll have an aluminum frame in a couple years. I guess only time will tell...

BTW, I thought KTM's were light because they don't have an extra seven pounds of shock linkage... another thing we'll probably see on the Yamaha and everything else soon enough.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11

• JamesD

Posted May 06, 2000 - 08:55 PM

The KTM *is* lighter because it has no linkage but a lot of that reduction is the weight of the swingarm since it doesn't have to accomodate a linkage.
BTW, it's also one of the reasons the bike is so narrow.

The added bonus is less stuff to grease!!!
That and adjusting rear spring preload doesn't require removal of the subframe, airbox, carb, pipe, side panels and seat. Having to do that *REALLY* pissed me off.

• Matt_Porritt

Posted May 07, 2000 - 01:01 AM

The KTM *is* lighter because it has no linkage but a lot of that reduction is the weight of the swingarm since it doesn't have to accomodate a linkage.

Alot of the weight loss is also in the engine.
The KTM 250SX is only 1.5lbs lighter than the CR250 and only 2lbs heavier than the KX250, so the linkless is a weight saving but not that much.

------------------
--
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

[This message has been edited by Matt Porritt (edited 05-07-2000).]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.