Needle in a haystack...YZ timing!

2 replies to this topic
  • Moto-Mike

Posted May 04, 2000 - 06:37 PM

I am about ready to try YZ timing and am a bit confused on which needle jet to use.
Some people are running the stock 'DRS' while others are running the 'DVP'. What is the difference? This years carb comes with a 'DRS' and the 98 and 99's must have came with a 'DTM'. Does last years "needle of choice" the 'DVP' the best choice for the 2000? Thanks for any help/recommendations on this matter-

------------------
2000 Yamaha WR400F
1988 Honda NT650 Hawk
1977 Suzuki RM250B
1974 Honda XR75K1

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • James_Dean

Posted May 04, 2000 - 09:41 PM

Moto-Mike and interested others,
Start by reading the owners manual section on carb tuning and I will guide you through the needle codes and corrections to the figures shown.
(A major factor here is the carbs are different but the needles can be used in both)
- needles :DTM,DVP,DVR,DRS
- first letter: D = .75 degrees taper, the same for each and affects 3/8 to 3/4 throttle. (YZ426 uses E = 1.0 degrees and is richer in this range)
- second letter: T,V,R, these refer to the distance from the clip to mid taper. This affects 1/8 to 1/2 throttle. All DR- needles are 1 clip richer than all DT- needles. All DT- needles are 1 clip richer than all DV- needles. Think of the second letter as nothing more than changing the clip position. Thus a DRP-#2 clip equals DTP-#3 equals DVP-#4, no difference in jetting at all.
- third letter: M,P,R,S, these refer to needle straight diameter and affect only 0-1/8 (or at most 1/4 throttle). M is the most rich (2.715mm), then P (2.735mm), R (2.755mm), S (2.765mm). This is low throttle jetting only.

--------------------------------------
Now what to do with a '00WR DRS needle? - it has a richer clip location and a lean straight diameter so to make a best guess try a DVP or DVR and go 1 clip down. This will richen 0-1/8 throttle and lean out 1/8-1/2 throttle. ( 2 clips lower will be equal jetting at 1/8 to 1/2 throttle - DRS#2 & DVR#4 are nearly identical) Don't try the DTM unless you want a big change richer 0-1/8.
(The short answer - DVP#4 to start with)
Good Luck !
James Dean

• Moto-Mike

Posted May 05, 2000 - 06:07 PM

Thanks J.D. Whew that's some pretty technical stuff...my brain has a hard time following all those variables in those codes. :) I'll go with your short answer and order the 'DVP' tommorow. Thanks again!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.