Info on XR650R's (newbie)

18 replies to this topic
  • Rot Box

Posted July 12, 2007 - 10:58 AM

Well my brother just picked up an 04 XR650R with a few goodies. It is street legal with a Clarke desert tank, and a few odds and ends.

The both of us are new to the water cooled XR's and I was just wondering if there is anything to look out for or anything that needs improvement? I know the engine and drivetrain is the typical "bomb proof" Honda, but are there any quirks, bugs or gremlins that need to be worked out? Also what did Honda's power up option include? Is it worth looking into? And it seems to run pretty hot <not boiling over by any means> just radiators are REALLY hot to the touch :thumbsup:

Thanks a bunch for any information about this bike,

Andrew

BTW: I was suprized to see that no one offers aftermarket plastic for this bike... odd :thumbsup:

• ganshert

Posted July 12, 2007 - 11:03 AM

check out this site; http://www.xr650r.us/

lots of info there

• ogrider650

Posted July 12, 2007 - 11:04 AM

i canged the rad cap to a 1:8 and put engine ice in it it rarely ever gets hot or boils over unless i'm going up some 1st gear stuff for a long time. i don't have the power up kit but i do have the edelbrock carb which kicked up the fun factor quite a bit.

and try XR's only for plastics

• hill5150

Posted July 12, 2007 - 01:31 PM

I run no thermo and water wetter and GM dexcool, boils over rarely only when it is hella hot and moving slow, (which never happens)...Its a 6 fiddy.......:thumbsup:

• Rot Box

Posted July 12, 2007 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for the link, and all the help :thumbsup: That pretty much sums up all the questions I had.

I still can't get over the BEEF these bikes have... Makes my 2 strokes look like pit bikes :thumbsup: :busted: :cheers:

• smicer

Posted July 12, 2007 - 10:42 PM

:thumbsup:
BTW: I was suprized to see that no one offers aftermarket plastic for this bike... odd :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

well,i am surprised too...Acerbis dun even have the part number for the plastics...i am having a hard time here in Singapore....i went down twice to Honda Singapore for the rear mudguard...got phone call from them 2 days ago to go down for deposit and said the mudguards would arrived about 4-6weeks...to be disappointed again today as i went down...was told the factory in Japan currently got no stock..they will inform me again...:busted:

my plastics have been sprayed at the point of time i got the bike...so unlucky of me...

• weiqinpeh

Posted July 14, 2007 - 12:07 AM

[quote name='smicer']:busted:
BTW: I was suprized to see that no one offers aftermarket plastic for this bike... odd :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

well,i am surprised too...Acerbis dun even have the part number for the plastics...i am having a hard time here in Singapore....i went down twice to Honda Singapore for the rear mudguard...got phone call from them 2 days ago to go down for deposit and said the mudguards would arrived about 4-6weeks...to be disappointed again today as i went down...was told the factory in Japan currently got no stock..they will inform me again...:cheers:

my plastics have been sprayed at the point of time i got the bike...so unlucky of me...[/QUOTE]

Hey man,

Me and my pig are operating out of Singapore too, really hard to get spares and stuff! Apparently, I heard it's because there are only 7 XR650Rs here and most dealers don't stock up on its spare parts...

any good US stores to recommend, I may wanna just import everything from the states..:thumbsup:

Cheers!

• smicer

Posted July 14, 2007 - 12:21 AM

Hey dude..you from singapore as well...nice...do you go to slackriders.com?

for the plastic,if you do order things online,i think you can go to XR's only.com...or you may wanna check out UFO...

and if you want to order,keep in touch...i mite wanna chip in too...

my mobile. 91520309 AJ...

• Rot Box

Posted July 15, 2007 - 07:52 AM

You guy's are in Singapore... that's awsome :thumbsup: I gotta ask what's the riding like over there? My brother ordered his new shrouds through a Honda dealer and got OEM ones $$$, but they look better than what was on it :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR_RON

Posted July 15, 2007 - 08:11 AM

Yo Rot Box,your list of bikes is impressive,I see your no stranger to power,or pain!! I owned a TM 400 suzuki at one time,all the power you could ever want,but it was frightening in the handeling department,as well as several CR and YZ 250s,rode a buddies CR500,but never owned one,I currently own a 86 XR600,and a 99 XR250,Im looking for a new XR,or XR650L,I live in Panama canal zone,and they dont have them here,I could get one shipped in,which is what im looking into now.Good to meet you here on TT, XR_Ron..

• Rot Box

Posted July 15, 2007 - 10:20 AM

Yo Rot Box,your list of bikes is impressive,I see your no stranger to power,or pain!! I owned a TM 400 suzuki at one time,all the power you could ever want,but it was frightening in the handeling department,as well as several CR and YZ 250s,rode a buddies CR500,but never owned one,I currently own a 86 XR600,and a 99 XR250,Im looking for a new XR,or XR650L,I live in Panama canal zone,and they dont have them here,I could get one shipped in,which is what im looking into now.Good to meet you here on TT, XR_Ron..

Nice to meet you too and Thanks :thumbsup: The 84 CR500 is my favorite as it is by far the scariest bike I have ever ridden. What's the ridding like in Panama? Good luck on the new XR I pretty sure that I like my brothers new one more than he does! :thumbsup:

• smicer

Posted July 16, 2007 - 12:52 AM

You guy's are in Singapore... that's awsome :cheers: I gotta ask what's the riding like over there? My brother ordered his new shrouds through a Honda dealer and got OEM ones $$$, but they look better than what was on it :thumbsup:

well...awesome is not the right word to put about singapore...its a concrete jungle...wats so awesome bout it....:thumbsup:
here's a link of the only local riding area..scroll down..
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=530494
We have to cross the border to Malaysia to get real adventure and better place to ride..
Looking at all the riding areas from ADVriders forum makes me suck thumb...western influences has got all over Singaporeans though...thanks...well,at least we all tried to be adventourous at some points...:busted:

• weiqinpeh

Posted July 16, 2007 - 04:32 AM

well...awesome is not the right word to put about singapore...its a concrete jungle...wats so awesome bout it....:thumbsup:
here's a link of the only local riding area..scroll down..
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=530494
We have to cross the border to Malaysia to get real adventure and better place to ride..
Looking at all the riding areas from ADVriders forum makes me suck thumb...western influences has got all over Singaporeans though...thanks...well,at least we all tried to be adventourous at some points...:busted:

yeah, agree completely with smicer.. our little island's completely overrun with concrete! No time to ride up north into Malaysia due to work commitments, hopefully that won't be the situation for long! :thumbsup:

Smicer/AJ: yeah I do frequent slackriders sometimes but I seldom post.. heh! I feel like ordering some clutch/ throttle cable and spark plugs for the PIG soon.. heard those are impossible to get around here too.. oh well.. :cheers:

• smicer

Posted July 16, 2007 - 06:40 AM

that you can get from boon siew Honda S'pore...they have the clutchplates set also...i will be getting that pretty soon...i haven't checked on the plugs yet...but i have a strong feeling it will be the same as the XR4s....

• Rot Box

Posted July 16, 2007 - 09:40 AM

:thumbsup: Concrete jungle...

Judging by those pics Malaysia looked like a good time, and man! I thought my desert tank was huge! :thumbsup:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted July 16, 2007 - 10:34 AM

i canged the rad cap to a 1:8 and put engine ice in it it rarely ever gets hot or boils over unless i'm going up some 1st gear stuff for a long time. i don't have the power up kit but i do have the edelbrock carb which kicked up the fun factor quite a bit.

and try XR's only for plastics

If I am not mistaken one of the criteria listed by Edelbrock is that you have the power up kit. Haven't you taken the restrictions out of the air box and opened up the intake manifold and opened up the exhaust insert?

If you are running totally stock, which needle are you running in the Edelbrock? It must be the leanest one.

• smicer

Posted July 16, 2007 - 09:01 PM

:thumbsup: Concrete jungle...

Judging by those pics Malaysia looked like a good time, and man! I thought my desert tank was huge! :thumbsup:

hi dude...sorry again...those pictures are not in Malaysia...its Singapore...and its not really deep forested area...In Malaysia,we have natural terrain,river,deep dense jungle,hill,wild boar,elephants etc...:busted:

• EarlT

Posted November 04, 2007 - 04:45 PM

XR650R
Are there any years that are Better or Worse than others,
such as Bad 2nd or 3rd Gear?

Any other Problems?
Why do some change the Rear Shocks to the CBR500 or CRF450?

Thank You

EarlT

• The Italian Stallion

Posted November 04, 2007 - 05:28 PM

Nice to meet you too and Thanks :worthy: The 84 CR500 is my favorite as it is by far the scariest bike I have ever ridden. What's the ridding like in Panama? Good luck on the new XR I pretty sure that I like my brothers new one more than he does! :worthy:

yeah nice list I was a 500 man for years,You still have all those bikes? That 81 450 is pretty rare. How do like like kiicking that sucker over with your left leg? lol

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.