Streetbiker crossing over to the OTHER side...

4 replies to this topic
  • jdilpkle

Posted July 12, 2007 - 08:52 AM

This is my first post and my first DS sits just outside my window. My last (of many) bikes was a 2002 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX retro street bike which I sold a year ago to buy a Jeep Cherokee for when it does rain (?) here in So Calif.
I'm married, 52 and have riden street bikes off and on since 1974 - I thought life only began at 140mph. Then something very strange happened, out of nowhere, started thinking and looking at DS bikes set up for adventure riding. Then I started saving my pennies for a used KLR, and that soon seemed to be the plan. To make a long story short, I ended up buying a 1997 XR650L with 5600 original miles from the original owner. It had never been off roaded and still wears the tires he bought it with. It still had the tool kit in the pouch and even the dealer tag on the ignition key. I gave him $1800 for it. It had been sitting for quite a while, and there is still some cleaning up to do - minor rim pitting small rust areas on the white frame, mostly where the welds didn't get a good covering of factory paint, but it is all there. I just replaced the spark plug, front pads, and changed the oil & filter.
I went from a 120 horsepower sportbike to 30hp and am having a hoot on this thing! Weird. I started having visions of a street supermotard with 17" black Exel rims, sticky fat street tires, and a 320mm disk up front. But someone wiser than me who races and rides said to me two days ago, "Joe, think this out - instead of trying to fulfill your street motard dreams (with no money anyway) go and buy a set of Avon Distanzias, (so much better than your current 10 year old knobbies) and then you can still chase the sportbikes on the tight twisties and still have the option of some light off- roading when the desire hits,...and it will". I thought hard about what this experienced rider said. Since my wallet is so lean with kids, wife, dog, cat, and geko, and in reality, those fat 17" sportbike tires of will still be costing me $120 each like my old bike...
So, I think I have settled on another plan (what do you think?) - get the Avons (90/10 street/dirt) put them on my stock rims, buy a new pipe, rejet, and just go out and enjoy this new thing called a duelsporting. I have to confess, it's really great to ride not looking over my shoulder every two minutes for police because I'm blasting through the sound barrier on a sport bike. What a concept.
Before I close, if you could help me here - the only thing that is happening with the bike (that I believe is because it sat for so long) is, when I go to really accelerate hard, under some load, it starts misfiring badly. It starts easily every time, idles perfectly, and during light or moderate accelerating, runs fine, - untill I go to gas it hard and that's when the missing happens. It appears to be carb related because it runs so well everywhere else. I am going to pull the carb tonight and see what I can see. The misfiring has gotten a little better after riding it for the last 3 days, so I hope it is only gunk in the carb. What specifically do you think I should I look for? I've twisted my own wrenches for years, but now I am on new turf and until I spend some wrenching time with the XRL, I will need some advice from the sages here on TT if you don't mind.
Anyway, I didn't mean to have such a long post but I wanted to introduce myself and say hello and to tell you guys that I am looking forward to riding for the pure enjoyment of riding - not risking my life at supersonic speeds. Now comes the process of becoming familiar with the bike both in riding and working on it. I am off work tomorrow and I am going to ride some easy dirt roads to start to grow some dirt legs and gain some experience in this brand-new motorcycling adventure. Thanks in advance for all your help, and I hope to even meet some of you when I'm out and about.
jdilpkle

• cleonard

Posted July 12, 2007 - 09:28 AM

What you are looking for is something called "Dave's mods." This is rejetting and modding the carb and airbox. Makes a huge difference and is a lot cheaper than the DynoJet kit. When you are done you will be closer to 40hp than 30. Sounds like you found a great deal.

I'm from the other end of the DS spectrum. Mine is a dirt bike with a plate. I run non-DOT dirt tires and barely ever take it on the tarmac. My advise to you is be careful with those tires on the dirt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted July 12, 2007 - 09:51 AM

congrats! good buy, my xrl is an 05. sounds like possibly a coil or cdi issue. just rejet and pipe it will improve the power a bunch. have fun and welcome with your new squealer!:thumbsup:

• Denn10

Posted July 12, 2007 - 10:46 AM

Where in CA?? You will prolly want to take the carb off and see what jetting is in it. Is it stock? exhaust? Smog crap still on or off? theres a few things that you should do considering what its like with all this stuff above. Prolly want to just dump the tank out and start with a new plug. I got my L first then about 3 weeks ago i got an 06 CBR600RR and use that for taking rides as none of my riding buddies have DS around here so kinda hard to keep up on the freeway or high speed spots with a single cylinder vs them LOL but i love both and have rode with them on thier GSXRs and ZX10 and they were like DAMNNN you were keeping up with us in the twistied with that bike AND KNOBBIES yeah yeah LOL

• martinfan30

Posted July 12, 2007 - 11:50 AM

Where in CA?? You will prolly want to take the carb off and see what jetting is in it. Is it stock? exhaust? Smog crap still on or off? theres a few things that you should do considering what its like with all this stuff above. Prolly want to just dump the tank out and start with a new plug. I got my L first then about 3 weeks ago i got an 06 CBR600RR and use that for taking rides as none of my riding buddies have DS around here so kinda hard to keep up on the freeway or high speed spots with a single cylinder vs them LOL but i love both and have rode with them on thier GSXRs and ZX10 and they were like DAMNNN you were keeping up with us in the twistied with that bike AND KNOBBIES yeah yeah LOL

atta boy!

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.