A Better front break line?? WR400_Jay

7 replies to this topic
  • GJ

Posted May 01, 2000 - 07:19 PM

Hey,

Has anyone redone the front break line, putting on a shorter lenght and routing it over the front of the fork. I've heard it vastly improves the front break responsiveness. I feel the stock front break is way mushy :) . I've blead it several times and tried to dial it, but it still feels mushy.
Thanks.

GJ

• mcarp

Posted May 01, 2000 - 07:30 PM

I may be able to answer this one. WrJay does have the Fastline pro-series brake line kit w/ CR style routing. The special routing allows for a shorter line length, which increased stopping power and reduces fade. He tells me they work great, maybe he'll respond himself and clarify this. He has about talked me into it, but I bled them using the Russell Speedbleeders ($13, highly recommend them), and they feel great. Mine seemed spongy from the factory and DID have air bubbles in the line, even after a careful fluid change.

Be sure you are bleeding them correctly before you spend the $-no brake line in the world will help if you have air in the line/caliper/piston. If you can hit the handlebar with the brake, you are in dire need of help.

Then again if you have a '98 that has seen lot's of use, you may be needing a new one anyway

• MotoGreg

Posted May 01, 2000 - 07:35 PM

I think the Fastline with CR style routing is only available for the yz (with number plate) and not for the wr (with headlight).

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• WR400_Jay

Posted May 02, 2000 - 04:35 PM

GJ I would'nt go without the Fastline brakeline on my bike. Hard braking with only one or two fingers is pretty awesome. :) I'll scan a copy of the schematic of our front forks and show you what to do and how to route the line. I'll post it tommorrow. The part number from Chaparral is W24-680X for the blue brakeline with the firm feel and W24-688 for the black line that feels a little firmer than stock $45.99 for either one. Both are routed like a CR250 and the kit comes with new crush washers for sealing the banjo fittings.
I'll check to see if the light will be a problem and let you know. I'm running a stock YZ number plates so I'll have to check. I also flushed all the original brake fluid out and I'm running Valvoline synthetic DOT4.

------------------
00'WR400 75'Yamaha 250 enduro
White e-Series S-bend 12 discs, Yz timed, rejetted to Clark specs, throttle stop cut, lid removed, Topar Racing top clamp, Tag Metals T2 bars, Scotts damper, Devol disc guard and frame guards, lights removed, Cr routed Fastline brakeline, Acerbis Rally pro hand guards fastened to the top clamp, Gel grips Live in Southwest Ohio

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 02, 2000 - 05:03 PM

Jay,
I have talked to you before about this. Since my accidental labotomy, I have a hell of a time remembering anything. Are you also running the oversize rotor?

• MotoGreg

Posted May 02, 2000 - 05:39 PM

wr400jay--- I've already tried, it won't work with the WR headlight assy. it is too short no matter how you try and route it. Fastline makes one for the WR but it isn't CR routing.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11

• GJ

Posted May 03, 2000 - 12:19 PM

MotoGreg - So what did you end up doing with your front line? Is the WR fastline any better than stock?

Thanks guys for all the input.

• MotoGreg

Posted May 03, 2000 - 06:35 PM

I made my own. Normal steel braided brake line is a "dash 3" size. There is a new size with a micro small inside bore, I can't remember if it's called dash 1 or dash 2. Anyways I made mine with that. The more volume of fluid you have to push (with a longer brake line or a bigger diameter line) means that the lever will travel further for the same brake action right?

Also, you have to bleed these things forever. Just when you think all the air is finally out you get another little bubble. Keep on bleeding it until you can get a good ten or so pumps out of the bleeder nipple with no air bubble. Make sure you use a clear hose on the bleeder nipple so that you can see what's coming out of the caliper.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.