Jetting Question

5 replies to this topic
  • c-man

Posted July 11, 2007 - 08:47 PM

Recently baught an brand new 06' 450F and want just a few ideas on jetting it. I have looked at the thread at the top of the forum and cannot quite figure out how to use the formulas seen there. Bike is all stock and I know they come jetted pretty lean. In the spring when I baught it is would pop and crack a lot on decelleration, so I put one size bigger main, one size bigger pilot, and backed the pilot screw out 1/2 turn. Now that it is a little warmer outside it seems to start a little hard, occasionally backfire when starting warm, and surges just off of idle when riding down the road. I understand that they do not run like a traditional 4-stroke down the road due to lighter flywheel weight, etc, but my 01' 426 seemed to run a lot smoother than this does at this point. I am at about 3500 to 4000 feet in dry climate and want it jetted for about 80 degrees F. Seems to me like it may now be a little rich?? Advice welcome.

Thanks,

C

• WB450

Posted July 12, 2007 - 07:08 AM

Look up top where it says "ALL YZ450 jetting specs". Not to be a dick, it's helpfull.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 12, 2007 - 07:47 AM

MXA mag says to change the needle to an NFLR and pilot to a #45. Do you know how to adjust the fuel screw? http://www.motocross...032722A4D5D52E3

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • treygreen

Posted July 12, 2007 - 07:53 AM

With my 06 all I did was change the pilot to a 45 and she is a one kick wonder. I did also buy a gytr fuel screw and set it to about 2 1/2 turns out. You might want to go back to the stock main jet.

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2007 - 08:19 AM

You may be a bit rich. One thing though, is that way too much is made of decel backfiring. If a YZ450 never does that at all, it is too rich at idle. Some is normal.

I run ours with a 45/165, stock needle in #4. The NFLR needle may be an improvement, but probably not much, as it's the very same taper profile cut so that #4 on the NFLR is one half step leaner than #4 on the stock one. So far, ours has run pretty well in conditions much like yours with just an occasional tweak of the fuel screw.

• Ga450owner

Posted July 12, 2007 - 08:57 AM

For my Altitude 900-2000ft here in Ga the NFLR needle was the ticket.....as well as 45 pj 168mj

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.