False neutral in '03 yz450f

5 replies to this topic
  • Scott526

Posted July 11, 2007 - 07:20 PM

I periodically hit a false neutral on my bike, between 3rd and 4th gear. This weekend it caused a bad crash. I know that part of the problem must be me, I probably get a little tired and don't concentrate on making a crisp shift. But, I was also wondering if this is a sign that the clutch needs replacing, or if it's something else. I have an MSR spring loaded shifter, and the lever is slightly higher than my footpeg. I appreciate any suggestions.

• grayracer513

Posted July 11, 2007 - 08:33 PM

Maybe just operator error. But it could be early signs of wear on the locking lugs (dogs) that engage 4th gear.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 12, 2007 - 07:24 AM

I've hit false neutrals on all my bikes. It could just be that when you shift,the lever inside(don't know what it's proper name is) that works with the shifter's cog(or whatever it's called) sits on top of a tooth rather than in between two teeth and then no gear is actually selected. That's how neutral is selected, it's a half tooth with a curve on top for the lever end to sit in. Like you said, you make these kind of half shifts when you get tired and don't quite get it to shift to the next gear, but only get the shifter cog to turn half as much as is needed. I hope you can understand my lame terminology. It'd be easier to explain if I drew a picture.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga450owner

Posted July 12, 2007 - 09:00 AM

Maybe just operator error. But it could be early signs of wear on the locking lugs (dogs) that engage 4th gear.

I 2nd that....I have seen this 50times

• Scott526

Posted July 12, 2007 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for your help, makes me feel a little bit better about my bike.

• Type Gendy

Posted July 13, 2007 - 11:13 AM

I think i recall hitting a 'false neutral' on a couple of past bikes. NOne of which every developed any problems. Just chaulked it up as driver error :shrugs:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.