The VIN Eight Digit--California Sucks

2 replies to this topic
  • Clark_Mason

Posted May 02, 2000 - 07:15 AM

Here is the closest thing to an official web site I could find on the "eighth digit" VIN thing. I talked to four DMV offices spreadout all over California today. They were all clued in to this and were emphatic about not being able to dual sport a bike with this VIN. Did I mention that California SUCKS!
http://www.calohv.ca...ews/2Stroke.htm

December, 1998
TEL: (800) 242-4450.
Information Expires December, 1999

The Latest on the 2-Stroke Issue
By Don Fuller
[2-Stroke Riding Schedule]

On December 10th, 1998 the California Air Resources Board (CARB) voted to change their regulations. Motorcycles and All Terrain Vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1997 that do not meet the CARB emissions standards, will now be allowed to operate when the air is not filled with smog, according to the new regulations.

CARB developed regulations in 1994, that prohibited off-road motorcycles and all terrain vehicles that did not meet the new emissions standards, from obtaining Green Sticker registration from DMV. Non-complying vehicles, including all new two strokes and several of the new four strokes (Yamaha 400), would be limited to closed course, competition race facilities only. It appeared as if the off road vehicle dealers were going to be devastated because of these regulations.

The compromise was developed with the assistance of the OHMVR Division, BLM, AMA, and the Motorcycle Dealers Association. CARB looked at each riding area in the state and then compared those to the seasonal air quality. In many cases, the riding seasons were opposite the smoggy season. (Who wants to ride when it is hot and smoggy?) The attached list below will tell you what the riding season will be at your favorite riding areas.

While not a perfect agreement, we were able to come up with some reasonable riding seasons. The only alternative was that non-complying vehicles could only be ridden in closed course races. Most of the desert got a riding season of Thanksgiving to Easter. That is when most people want to ride in the desert anyway. Northern California was able to get an all year round season because it has the best air quality.

The way in which these regulations will be enforced is that manufacturers will put either a 3 or C in the eighth position of the Vehicle Identification Number if the vehicle does not meet the emission standards. (No, you don't have to get a smog check every year, CARB will determine each model year whether or not the whole series can meet the standards). If your vehicle has a 3 or a C, then DMV should issue you a red sticker instead of a Green Sticker. It will be exactly the same as a Green Sticker, except that it will tell the land management agencies that this vehicle can only be ridden in the non-smoggy season as identified by CARB.

What happens if you get caught riding out of season? You can receive a citation for a violation of a CARB regulation. Each judicial jurisdiction will determine its own bail.

If you are in the market for a new off-highway vehicle, you must now decide if it is worth it to purchase a non-complying vehicle and ride it for a shortened season (usually the best months) or do you want to buy a complying vehicle and be able to ride it all year round.

2-Stroke Riding Schedule
California State Parks
OHMVR Division SVRAs
1. Carnegie Nov 1 - Apr 30
2. Clay Pit Nov 1 - Jun 30
3. Hollister Hills Oct 1 - May 25
4. Hungry Valley Oct 1 - Apr 30
5. 0cotillo Wells Oct 15 - May 15
6. Oceano Dunes Sep 15 - May 15
7. Prairie City Oct 15 - Apr 15
8. Mammoth Bar Oct 1 - May 31 Other Jurisdictions
1. Frank Raines Oct 1 - May 31
2. Glen Helen (closed course)
3. La Grange Nov 1 - Mar 31
4. Park Moabi Year-round
5. Riverfront Park Year-round
6. Santa Clara (Metcalf)
Nov 1 - Apr 30
8. Black Butte Lake Year-round
9. Laguna Seca (closed course)
10. Tulare Cycle Park
(closed course)
11. Hanford Cycle Park
(closed course)
12. Porterville OHV Park
(closed course)

Bureau of Land Management
2-Stroke Riding Schedule
BakersfieldDistrict Office
1. Clear Creek Oct 1 ­May 3l
2. Bishop Year-round
BLM Northern California (NORCAL)
3. Fort Sage Year-round
4. Samoa Dunes Year-round
5. Black Sands Year-round
6. Chappie-Shasta
Oct 1 - May 31
7. South Cow Mountain
Year-round
8. Knoxville Year-round
California Desert District Office
9. Olancha Dunes Year-round
10. Panamint (closed) Year-round
11. Spangler Hills Oct 1 - May 31
12. Jawbone/Dove Oct 1 - May 31
13. Dumont Dunes Nov I - Apr 30 14. Stoddard Valley
Oct 1 - Apr 30.
15. Johnson Valley Oct 1 - Apr 30
16. Superstition Mountain
Oct 1 - May 31
17. Imperial/Glamis/Gecko
Oct 1 - Apr 30
18. Plaster City Oct 1 - May 31
19. Imperial/ Oct 1, Apr 30
Buttercup Valley
20. Lark Canyon Dec 1 - Jan 31
21. Rasor Oct 1 - Apr 30
22. Imperial/Mammoth Wash
Oct 1 - Apr 30
24. El Mirage/Shadow Mtns.
Nov 1 - Mar 1
California Desert District Office
25. Rice Valley Year-round
26. Parker Strip Year-round

U.S. Forest Service --- 2-Stroke Riding Schedule
Angeles National Forest
1. Mt. Baldy Dec 1 - Jan 31
2. Rowher Flat
Nov 1 -; March 31
3. Tujunga Dec 1 - Jan 31
4. Littlerock Nov 1 - March 31
Cleveland National Forest
5. Corral Canyon Dec 1 - Jan 31
6. Wildomar Dec 1 - Feb 28
Eldorado National Forest
7. Mace Mill - Rock Creek
Oct 15 - May 31
8. Barrett Lake Year-round
Inyo National Forest
9. Poleta Year-round
Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit
16. Kings Beach Year-round
Los Padres National Forest
17. Alamo Mountain
Oct 15 - Apr 30
18. Ballinger Canyon
Nov 1 - Mar 15
19. Black Mountain.
Oct 1 - Apr 30
20. Santa Barbara
Nov 15 - Mar 15
21. Ortega Trail
Nov 15 - Mar 15
Mendocino National Forest
22. Davis Flat Year-round
23. Lake Pillsbury Year-round
24. Elk Mountain. Year-round
Plumas National Forest
26. Gold Lake Year-round
27. Dixie Mtn. Year-round
28. Mosquito Creek Year-round
29. Deadman Springs Year-round 30. Cleghorn Bar Year-round
31. Big Creek Year-round
San Bernardino National Forest
32. Lake Arrowead
Nov 1 - Feb 28
33. Big Bear Nov 1 - Feb 28
34. San Jacinto Nov 1 - Feb 28
35. Lytle Creek Nov 1 - Feb 28
Sequoia National Forest
36. Tule River Nov 1 - Apr 30
37. Frog Meadow Nov 1 - Apr 30
38. Kennedy Meadows Year-round
Shasta-Trinity National Forest
39. Hayfork Year-round
40. McCloud Year-round
Sierra National Forest
41. Kings River Nov 1 - May 31
42. Shaver Lake Nov 1 - May 31
43. Hites Cove Nov 1 - May 31
44. Miami Creek Nov 1 - May 31
Six Rivers National Forest
46A. Smith Rivers NRA Year-round
Stanislaus National Forest
46. Niagara Ridge Year-round
47. Date Flat Oct 1 - May 31
48. Deer Creek. Oct 1 - May 31
49. Corral Hollow Oct 1 - May 31
Tahoe National Forest
50. Foresthill OHV
Oct 1 - May 31
53. Fordyce Jeep Trail
Oct 1 - May 31
54. Truckee Year - round
56. Prosser Hills Year-round
58. Downieville Year-round

YES ALL OF THE ABOVE APPLIES TO FOUR STROKES. SO FOUR STROKES GET SMOKED BY 2-SMOKES.

In addition to this I have a friend who has a 1997 Honda XR 600 thats been dual sported since 97 and the DMV would not renew his plates. They told him he must red sticker his bike. So now they are looking at renewals also.

Luckely my 99 WR has a W in the eight digit.

Clark

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 02, 2000 - 08:16 AM

I have a 00 WR that was plated through the dealer. What eigth digit has the possibility of non renewal?
Also, Clark I've been looking at this site for several months not realizing that you're the same Clark i've ridden with on several occassions. I'm with the 100's M.C. and camped next to you at Kernville last year. I'm with you. These licensing restrictions and land closures are driving me nuts

Glenn

• Clark_Mason

Posted May 02, 2000 - 09:42 PM

Glenn

Yes that would be me. E-mail me as to which dual sport rides you are considering this year.

Clark

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.