CR500 engine

26 replies to this topic
  • mxracerrider4life

Posted July 11, 2007 - 04:38 PM

How much do these babys put out stock? ive heard 60 hp which seems a little on the low end.. how much power?

• crf-f crf-r trx cbr

Posted July 11, 2007 - 04:41 PM

56 stock 92-01

• frogman

Posted July 11, 2007 - 04:42 PM

The CR 500 is the ULTIMATE muscle dirt bike. I've read 55+hp, but you've really got to take a ride on one to appreciate what a bad asss that mill really is.

Have you seen the aluminum framed 500's that Service Honda sells?

They're bad to the bone!

• XHMXR

Posted July 11, 2007 - 05:09 PM

How much do these babys put out stock? ive heard 60 hp which seems a little on the low end.. how much power?

http://www.bikez.com...cr_500_1987.php

This may help. I own an 87 and it was detuned from 1985 and 1986. The latter two would spit you off of them. The 87 was a little milder and Ive seen hp numbers from 58 to 63hp. I would believe 60 to 63 because I also own a 1992 which I see is rated at 56. If it was 56hp I would believe the 87 is closer to 63 because it is quite a bit faster. It doesnt matter either one is a real rip to ride. Something else is if you read the web site I posted you will see that is at only 6.8:1 compression ratio and its hp is rated at only 5800 RPM:ride:

• jbird710

Posted July 11, 2007 - 05:31 PM

There was a guy who posted here or on CR500riders.com who said he had built a couple that put out nearly 80 hp but, because of the extensive modifications, the engines were totally unreliable. As XHMXR stated, Honda constantly detuned the engines from '85 on to make them more controllable and attempting to get more traction by cutting down on wheel spin. I know my '87 definitely pulls harder than the stock 2001. My AF (NOT a Service Honda - Yes others make these that are just as good if not better) has a shaved head and it has a secondary power hit toward the top of the RPM range. Never have actually put any of them on a dyno to verify the HP. Any one of them will pull my big butt around with no problems. :thumbsup:

• frogman

Posted July 11, 2007 - 05:35 PM

Hey Jbird. Is that in the Astrodome in your avatar?

• cr125_killa

Posted July 11, 2007 - 05:36 PM

The CR 500 is the ULTIMATE muscle dirt bike. I've read 55+hp, but you've really got to take a ride on one to appreciate what a bad asss that mill really is.

Have you seen the aluminum framed 500's that Service Honda sells?

They're bad to the bone!

what about KTMs 550cc 2 stroke!!!! that there is a beast

• jbird710

Posted July 11, 2007 - 05:53 PM

Hey Jbird. Is that in the Astrodome in your avatar?

Yes, I raced my '87 CR500 in '89 on the Supercross track during a GNC amateur race. Got 4th out of 7 and really shouldn't have been there. I didn't really want to race it because I had been out of racing for a couple of months. But, a friend of mine who was a pro level rider need someone to help him pit. He drove me crazy until I finally relented and agreed to race and help him out (he ran the 250cc class).

The track was the same track the pros raced the following night and I have to admit, I did have a good time. At least I can say I did get to race on a pro level track once in my life even though it really wasn't anything special. :thumbsup:

• frogman

Posted July 11, 2007 - 06:07 PM

My Brother raced in the dome the first year they had it open for amateurs. That was back in about 77.
I believe that was the NMA nationals.
About a year after Dave Ward from channel 13 busted his butt in the celebrity race.
Do you remember that?

• jbird710

Posted July 11, 2007 - 06:25 PM

I was living in Beaumont back then ('77) but came to the pro races every year. I was more into street bikes at that time.

Yeah, nothing Dave Ward does really surprises me. I don't know him personally but have some friends that do. He was probably fairly drunk when it happened based on others have said about him. Posted Image

• frogman

Posted July 11, 2007 - 08:00 PM

OK, take care Jbird. And if you ever make it out this way look me up.

• EastBoundAndDown

Posted July 11, 2007 - 08:00 PM

55-56 is at the wheel... The CR500 MOTOR should make 60-62 HP.

• Rob129

Posted July 12, 2007 - 12:03 AM

52-56 rwhp, if someone tells you they have a CR500 that puts out 70+...have them show you the dyno sheet.....I bet they wont. Their fulla crap....seen it over and over again. A stock CR500 is plenty fast enough. I have ridden one for years. I only know of a hand full of people that can ride a CR500 to its potential. I am not one of them. The same goes with any motor, start making engine mods and you cut its reliability.

• mxracerrider4life

Posted July 12, 2007 - 05:03 PM

dang i wanted one so bad still do, i have the engine but not the bike.....

not enough money....

I really wanted to see what 60 hp felt like:eek: but i guess ill have to wait till im older. damn:foul:

i just hope ill get my money back for it on ebay

• SC_Spode

Posted July 12, 2007 - 06:58 PM

I believe you'll find that the "detuning" Honda did on the CR500 was to lower the comp. ratio.

I've ridden a number of 85 and 86 CR500's (owned the first year CR500 - 84 - only year it was air cooled) and the problem with the 85 was that it was difficult to start and hit very hard off the bottom - both symptoms of a high C.R.
The 84 suffered from the same problem and the quick fix was to run 2 head gaskets (they were copper).

By lowering the C.R and letting the engine rev more freely, peak HP should have been increased. So, while it may be called "detuning", the later ones probably dyno higher HP but are easier to ride.

The later year CR500s I had (mid-90s) also had a hit but were smoothed from the factory by using a large silencer. If you swapped it for an aftermarket one you suddenly noticed a pronounced surge in the powerband. The big stock muffler with an air gap between the two sections tamed it so it was easier to ride.

:thumbsup:

• idahoexcr500

Posted July 13, 2007 - 11:21 AM

I remember one of the mags in 85 dynoed the 85 CR500 and it put out about 49hp at the rear wheel.I had an 85, what a brute! all low end, very explosive power. My 88 was much smoother (but slower too). My 89 with a PC pipe was the best of the 3 500s I had. I think the newer models are even mellower. The 89 and newer models have the "eyebrows" cut into the cylinder that really help with starting. Older models take a very strong kick to start.
I would get a newer model that has the beefed up clutch (90 or 91 models and newer) as well as the wider ratio tranny (85, 86 and 87 had it).In 88 they tightened up the top ratios (4th and 5th I believe) which was a waste and really lowered top speed. In later models they put the original 4th and 5th ratios back in the tranny. These bikes are rocket ships, KX500s are even more powerful.

• SYOUNG

Posted July 21, 2007 - 08:32 AM

My stock AF motor was probably about 55 HP. Did some light porting on it and put a weisco piston in it that i had ceramic coated for heat resistance, and also a v-force reed block. Just from these very simple mods, it is now a little over 60 horsepower, and alot smoother as well. The 18 horsepower spike in power from 7-8000 rpm is gone and the motor is much more linear and electric. Its truly the best motor ive ever ridden. Like a 450 on steroids!! Easy to ride and lug and still has the crazy 500 hit!:applause:

• HawkGT

Posted July 21, 2007 - 09:13 AM

Don't forget the torque figures either! CR500s are torque monsters. A 50hp CR500 will be making about 40lbs of torque. That easily tops what any 450cc four stroke will make (and does it at a lower RPM too).

• N4TRBL

Posted July 22, 2007 - 03:07 PM

My 94' Dynod @ 62 RWHP after Cylinder porting,Boyeson Reeds and FMF Fatty W/ Silencer.

To get up to 70-80 RWHP They're probobly running Alcohol and Funny Gas :crazy: but I'm sure they'd be melting pistons as well.

• Rot Box

Posted July 22, 2007 - 03:41 PM

The 91 in my signature (if anyone really cares...) has a Cool head, port & polish, Lectron (big bore) carb, digital ignition (no flywheel), inframe drag pipe, and is set up for direct port Nitrous (which I've never tried out :rolleyes: ), and Alcohol. Needless to say it's a screamer...

If the 91's not on Alcohol then my 84 CR500 (air cooled) will take it up any dune by a long shot untill the engine gets hot.

I ride 500's and have ridden a lot of 500's, but that 84 plain scares the holy s#$t out of me...

It depends on the year, but I know that the 84-86 CR's are more powerfull that 55-56 HP that's for sure...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

85 or 150? by drzrider04

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

CR250 Swingarm by 2StrokestheFuture

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

CR500 Paul Stoffer AF ? by H4L

• * - - - -
  • Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

my 2 smoke is really smoking! by dirty_fun

• Hot  34 replies
Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.