Nieve Buyer

2 replies to this topic
  • Pilfer8

Posted July 11, 2007 - 04:14 PM

Well I'm back on the dirt after a long break from off road dirt bikes due to lack of the cash. I recently decided what I wanted and went out and found it at a fairly decent price. I ended up with a 03 YZ450F. Aside from the lowsy attempt by the previous owner to make it a yellow, "Hurricane" edition it looked, sounded and ran like it was in good order and well maintained. Being a little naive I took it based on his word that he had changed the oil religeously. When I got it to my shop and started tearing it down to get the yellow parts off and change the oil I was a little shocked at the sluge that came out of he thing. Obviously it wasnt as well maintained as I thought. Anyway short of changing the oil, filter, cleaning the strainer, air filter, lubing axles, etc. what should I be doing to make sure this thing is happy again? It tarts fist kick, goes like stink, sounds good. I am worried though, that there may be something damaged by the neglect it suffered at the hands of the previous owner.

Any ideas guys, gals?

Dan

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 11, 2007 - 04:36 PM

First, it's naive, but that's OK. The only thing that you can do now, short of tearing the bike down and looking for worn stuff, is to change the oil often, like every ride day or each 1-2 hours of run time, filter included, with a strainer inspection the next two times, and use a good, high grade synthetic oil intended for use in motorcycles that share oil with their transmissions (the tranny beats the crap out of oils with normal additives). After that, the oil should start to look pretty normal when you drain it, and you can start to relax a little.

The YZ450 is an extraordinary engine. It has a fairly good chance of being OK. It is 4 years old, though.

• 642MX

Posted July 11, 2007 - 05:41 PM

Grays right, frequent oil changes are the life of these motors.

If it where mine, I'd throw a timing chain in it, just to be on the safe side. The YZF's weakest link is the timing chain. A worn chain will wear the crank sprocket and the crank sprocket can't be replaced without spliting the case and buying a crank half.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.