650L Smog block off vacum lines ?????????

15 replies to this topic
  • Huffa 2

Posted July 11, 2007 - 02:17 PM

94 XR 650L ......... NOT California model

1st of all, the directions from the IMS kit gets a :thumbsup:, they just are not very clear on things and on this link http://www.4strokes..../honda/xrlsmog/ I have a question too.

Picture # 23 shows him capping the vacum line that goes from (I included pics) the air valve (piece with 2 philips screws) to the front of carb. The "T" that he is capping had a vacum line from there to a diaphram or air valve (looks just like one on carb) on the smog pump unit.

MY MAIN QUESTION IS .......is the above correct or should the whole "T" hose be taken off up top and the air valve and front of carb be capped?

IMS does not say and I'm just not sure if the carb air valve should still be in use or not :thumbsup: ?? What exactly does it do with smog kit on and then off?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted July 11, 2007 - 02:36 PM

94 XR 650L ......... NOT California model

1st of all, the directions from the IMS kit gets a :thumbsup:, they just are not very clear on things and on this link http://www.4strokes..../honda/xrlsmog/ I have a question too.

Picture # 23 shows him capping the vacum line that goes from (I included pics) the air valve (piece with 2 philips screws) to the front of carb. The "T" that he is capping had a vacum line from there to a diaphram or air valve (looks just like one on carb) on the smog pump unit.

MY MAIN QUESTION IS .......is the above correct or should the whole "T" hose be taken off up top and the air valve and front of carb be capped?

IMS does not say and I'm just not sure if the carb air valve should still be in use or not :thumbsup: ?? What exactly does it do with smog kit on and then off?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

mine is a non ca bike. when i was still using the cv carb, i capped the "air valve" and ran the front of carb vac. port straight down. ran great! sorry, not sure what the "valve" or diaphragm does.

• Huffa 2

Posted July 11, 2007 - 02:41 PM

mine is a non ca bike. when i was still using the cv carb, i capped the "air valve" and ran the front of carb vac. port straight down. ran great! sorry, not sure what the "valve" or diaphragm does.

:thumbsup: So what is the right way ?

His way the airvalve is still working from vacum of the front carb port, I think?

Weird, I don't think anyone ever bother to ask this :thumbsup:

I'm really a "WHY" type of guy and really would like to know what is considered the right way?

You ran the carb port straight down to where, just had it hanging?

• martinfan30

Posted July 11, 2007 - 03:06 PM

:thumbsup: So what is the right way ?

His way the airvalve is still working from vacum of the front carb port, I think?

Weird, I don't think anyone ever bother to ask this :thumbsup:

I'm really a "WHY" type of guy and really would like to know what is considered the right way?

You ran the carb port straight down to where, just had it hanging?

im sure the "right" way is to leave everything stock! to be quite honest with you about the vac. port, i think thats what i did but its been quite awhile since i switched to the fcr. i will pull the old one out tonite and look at again. my memory is like swiss cheese sometimes!:busted:

• Huffa 2

Posted July 11, 2007 - 03:12 PM

im sure the "right" way is to leave everything stock! to be quite honest with you about the vac. port, i think thats what i did but its been quite awhile since i switched to the fcr. i will pull the old one out tonite and look at again. my memory is like swiss cheese sometimes!:thumbsup:

Well yea, for sure, but I'm sure IMS will know their procedure if I call and that I just did............the Tech guys get off at 3 so I'll call tomorrow if I don't get a 100% positive answer from someone on here tonight.

HEY??? ..........if you just had it hanging, would it not suck in dust/dirt Grasshopper?

• Huffa 2

Posted July 11, 2007 - 05:20 PM

Another guy asked about it also ............

http://www.4strokes....?TOPIC_ID=25947

(I do have the seat strap bolts :thumbsup: )

• axarob44

Posted July 11, 2007 - 05:38 PM

I just did mine yesterday. The 2 nipples you shown in your pictures are the 2 that I capped, and just removed the whole line with the "T" in it. Mine is an 07'.

• Huffa 2

Posted July 11, 2007 - 05:42 PM

I just did mine yesterday. The 2 nipples you shown in your pictures are the 2 that I capped, and just removed the whole line with the "T" in it. Mine is an 07'.

Thanks!, but ..........

How did you know to do it that way? Do you have a different kit where it instructs you to do so ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • axarob44

Posted July 11, 2007 - 06:22 PM

There was only 1 line coming from the air pump to the carb. It looked like the line in your picture 1. One single line coming from the air pump, ran up and T'd out into two lines. One line went around the carb to the nipple in picture 2. The other line from the "T" went to the nipple in picture 3. That was it, just the 1 line that tees to the two nipples. I don't know if that helps. I know the IMS instructions say that they all are not the same. If I can do anything else let me know. Andy

ETA It was an IMS kit and the instuctions sucked, but it could have only worked that one way with the carb on my 07' as there was only that one line coming of the air pump

• Huffa 2

Posted July 11, 2007 - 06:50 PM

Yep, I understand,this is the line you removed, same line as I have above in 1st post.

Some are doing like you, capping off both male ends at carb, and some are just leaving the line on and capping it at the "T" section, like here.

:thumbsup: I'm just wondering if either way is acceptable or if one method is the wrong way ? Just capping it at "T" would mean the carb diaphram would still be functioning for no reason at all, does that sound correct/logical?

Posted Image

• axarob44

Posted July 11, 2007 - 07:17 PM

I see what you are saying. I don't really know. IMS says to do it that way( capping the "T"). I plugged both nipples, which may be wrong. My bike seems to run fine. Actually a lot better with the smog pump gone. I would be interested to know if it makes a difference also. Be sure to let us know what IMS says when you talk to them.

• martinfan30

Posted July 11, 2007 - 08:40 PM

hey huffa i just looked at my old cv carb and i had the diaphragm and the front vacuum port both capped.

• Huffa 2

Posted July 12, 2007 - 02:28 AM

hey huffa i just looked at my old cv carb and i had the diaphragm and the front vacuum port both capped.

Thank You :thumbsup:

Hmmmm, so the total vacum line removal is winning over just capping the "T", that's what I think I'm going to do also, remove the line that is. I figure, :thumbsup: why keep working that diaphram when it doesn't have to be.

I'm still going to call though. Will let you guys know.

So Martin, you spent a small fourtune on another carb?

• martinfan30

Posted July 12, 2007 - 08:49 AM

ya just under 500. fcr41 pumper. i really like it. more power, better mpg, better throttle response, whats not to love! the power is not a huge increase but it is the combo of all 3 that makes me happy. not to mention one twist of the throttle cold and it fires and idles immediately.:thumbsup:

• hondaxrl650

Posted July 12, 2007 - 08:55 AM

I have just finished Dave's mods and I just removed the line and caped both ports at the carb... Runs fine love the difference de-smug and jetting made whole new bike .. Oh 07 650l :thumbsup: on

• Jawmail

Posted July 12, 2007 - 09:05 AM

You cap it, your bike no longer needs that.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.