Ridin' Colorful Colorado

10 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 27, 2000 - 04:40 PM

I have been to Colorado on many family vacations and ski trips but I have never had the pleasure to ride there. UNTILL NOW!
I was invited to go to the Leadville area and spend a week riding the trails out there. I just decided this week I was going so I dont have much information except we will be staying in the Leadville area.
I know several people that frequent this forum ride colorado and one inparticular runs this forum. My question is: Can you tell me what is the best riding areas, single track and so on in that area. Thanks all!

------------------
Darin from Missouri WR400F Pro-Tapers, Applied TC, Clarke 3.3, YZ seat, Scotts Shark Fin, FMF PC IV S.A., One Industries Hannah Retro Kit, WER Steering Dampner,Pacemaker Computer, Andrews Powder Coating-painted gloss black

• Dougie

Posted April 27, 2000 - 06:56 PM

Darin,

Welcome to what we believe is the best all around riding in the world. However, Leadville in april can be a dicey situation at best. You won't be able to do too much mountain riding if any at all due to the snow that is still up there. Generally we can't get up to the mountains until late July. And I believe Leadville is around 10,000 feet in elevation.

I know of the Buena Vista area which is about 45 mins to an hour south of Leadville. There are many passes with many great trails including a challenging single track. Again however, I don't think it is ridable.

You can go west a couple of hours to Rabbit Valley CO. It is at the border of CO and Utah. We were there a couple of weeks ago. Great riding and NO snow. You will need a map though or you can easily get lost. The single track there will take your breath away (it is the place where Dave and I earned our badge of honour clearing the obstacle from hell).

You can also come east a couple of hours to the Denver area and ride the Rampart Range and Woodland Park trail systems (45 mins south of Denver). They are both open and have no snow. Elevation is around 6000 to 9000 feet. We are going to Rampart on Saturday.

North is Steamboat Springs but I was told it usually isn't rideable until around mid June.

I know there is riding in Leadville but not sure what trails you can hit this time of year.

Another thing you need to know is that the forecast calls for rain on Sat and Sun with highs around 50 - 65 for the weekend in Denver. That usually spells snow for elavations of 8000 and up. April in CO is very tricky. It can be mid 80's like it will be tomorrow or we can get 14 inches of snow in one day. Bring clothes for both (which you should do even in the summertime if you go up in the mountains).

Let us know if you want to come down during the week. We can get you riding around at Rampart and Woodland and maybe even join you. Bryan should be back this weekend and can fill you in more on Rabbit Valley. It was my first time there and don't know too much about it except it was on par with Moab riding. Good luck and have fun.

Now we have had a mild winter so this may help you get some mountain riding in. But again I wouldn't hold my breath. All of the above trips from Leadville can be made in a day. That includes trip to the place, riding and the trip back to Leadville. We do it all the time.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics

[This message has been edited by Dougie (edited 04-27-2000).]

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted April 27, 2000 - 07:06 PM

OK guys enough.
I just decided that I'm going to Mexico this weekend and reading this stuff about Colorado is making me all squishy inside.

I nominate Jake, Dougie & Bryan to lead a ThumperTalk version of the CO 500 this summer/fall. Who seconds this motion? :)

Seriously, a buddy of mine hooked up with guys from the Internet a few years back and did a 15 day riding trip thru Idaho, Washington & Canada & STILL talks about the trip. Something like that would be awesome - okay, so maybe not 15 days, he was unemployed at time.

I'd be coming from the Bay Area and would love to split fuel/driving chores.

Brian

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 28, 2000 - 08:52 AM

Dougie, Im sorry. I guess I didnt clarify myself on when Im coming out. The trip is in the middle of August. What I meant in the earlier post is that I didnt decide untill this week to go on the trip. Sorry for the confusion. Im going with a good friend of mine from Wichita, John Humphries. Hes been talking to someone on this forum from Colorado but Im not sure who. Anyways, your infor is still helpful. Thanks!

------------------
Darin from Missouri WR400F Pro-Tapers, Applied TC, Clarke 3.3, YZ seat, Scotts Shark Fin, FMF PC IV S.A., One Industries Hannah Retro Kit, WER Steering Dampner,Pacemaker Computer, Andrews Powder Coating-painted gloss black

• paul913

Posted April 28, 2000 - 11:05 AM

Hey Darin,
Give me a call too! Love to meet up with another guy who fits on a WR :D I wrote a quick recommendation to an Enduro club from Missouri. I wonder if that's how your buddy heard?

As far as Leadville goes... It's really high. Jet for 10,000. I've done a dual sport up there, but not much single track. Sure there are tons of jeep roads and rocky trails. Everything we rode was above tree line – as in not even enough O2 for trees! You will have fun. Certainly nothing like Missouri!

Doug definitely misunderstood about your dates. I just talked to him when he told me to look for this thread. Moab and Rabbit Valley are going to be a little warm in July, but they certainly won’t leave you looking for harder trails.

If you really want single-track in July - real dirt bike trails - try Crested Butte or Steamboat. Both areas offer well over seven 100 mile days of bar-bashing single track and unbelievable scenery. There also is the Durango area. Never been there, but it's covered in trails, too. The Butte & the Boat also have good bike shops for the emergency part now and then. Also, prepare to enjoy some other great aspects of Colorado. Bring a fishing pole, good camera, sunglasses and sunscreen. Oddly enough all these towns have really good breweries too, hum… :D

It would be great if you could schedule a day in the Denver area as well. It’s real crouded and not near as pretty, but you could meet more of us Ttalk guys and ride our local stuff. Oh yeah, there’s a couple of good breweries here too.

If it’s just the two of you guys, let’s plan a ThumperTalk Spodefest. Don’t mean to invite ourselves to your party, but Doug and I would love to show off our state! (before the greenies close it :) )

Jake

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dougie

Posted April 28, 2000 - 07:00 PM

Well then, that is much better. Yes, you should be able to get in all kinds of mountain riding then.

I concur with Jake. Crested Butte is very cool. All kinds of riding there. A lot of everything. Pearl Pass, Gunsight Pass, Scofield Pass. Jake and Dave took me and Mike from Crested Butte to Aspen for lunch and then back. 150 mile round trip. Rode every type of terrain there is that day.

I also recommend Buena Vista which is just south of Leadville. there are three passes that will fill you day up quite nicely and a challenging single track to boot. Try out Hancock, Tin Cup and Tomichi passes. Good stuff.

You can hit Buena Vista in a day. But you will have to stay in Crested Butte for a couple of days which I highly recommend if you can.

Just get in touch with us as the date nears and we'll get you more info.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 30, 2000 - 05:49 AM

Excellent guys! Thanks!
This is all really good info. Right now we are just trying to get a plan of action as to what trails we are going to ride. The Crested Butte sounds really good as there will be a few jeepers with us too.

Jake, You mentioned that Leadville is 10,000 feet. What did you have to re-jet to? Im a bit of a novice when it comes to carbs. The only thing I have done to mine is re-jet the main.

If you guys want to meet up that would be great. As the time get closer we will be able to finalize what we are doing a little better.

Thanks guys!

------------------

• Bryan

Posted April 30, 2000 - 02:10 PM

When I had WR timing I used the following jetting for Colorado riding:

4000 ft to 6000 ft
Pilot 45, needle clip 2nd position, 168 main (could probably use 3rd position but I had fouling probs)

6000 ft to 10000 ft
pilot 42, needle clip 2nd position, 165 main

10000 ft and up (13100 is my highest)
pilot 42, needle clip 2nd position, 162 main

KerryT seemed to get by on a 45 pilot everywhere but my bike would foul without the 42 pilot.

Also, this is before I understood the function of the pilot and needle as much as I do now. So, you could possibly go higher on the main here. But, I also errored towards conservative to avoid problems.

Bryan...

P.S. Where in Missouri do you ride? I may be coming to Columbia this summer and if I had someone to ride with would bring my WR.

[This message has been edited by Bryan (edited 04-30-2000).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 30, 2000 - 05:09 PM

Bryan, Thanks for the jetting info. Im not even sure where to go to get the pilot jet but I guess its high time I learned eh?

I live in Springfield, MO. Its south of Columbia, MO about 3 hrs. But if you want to make plans for a certain weekend I would be more than happy to take you to my little slice of heaven. Its called Chadwick and its a rockfest of epic proportions. Theres really not any good places up in Northern MO to ride. Most people come down from Iowa, KC, St. Louis and greater distances to ride Chadwick. Its quite an expierence. Let me know and I will clear the schedule.

------------------

• paul913

Posted May 02, 2000 - 04:01 AM

Milkman,
Another factor you will have to contend with is the lack of O2 on your performance. Leadville is serious altitude. Just try jogging down the street! If you’re running enduros, I’m sure you’re in good shape, but still watch for altitude sickness. I used to play pro volleyball and would train occasionally in Leadville for a tourney in Aspen. Heavier guys (like us) naturally have more blood, so we seam to do better, but you might warn your friends. You will first feel exhausted then the headaches will start. Don’t push it. Get lots of sleep. You might sleep 10-12 hours after exercise. An easy cure is to come down in altitude (like come ride in Denver for a day :) )

They say it takes two weeks for your body to generate the red blood cells needed for altitude. When they run national enduros up here, the guys show up immediately after the previous race. They will train in Colorado Springs for a few days then move up higher just to get acclimated. Without O2 your bike just runs bad, your brain is much harder to jet.

Either way we are all thrilled you are coming out! Last weekend KerryT and I were thinking – “We gotta take Milkman on that trail!”

Don’t mean to scare you - just a little precaution.

Jake

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 02, 2000 - 12:51 PM

Thanks Jake. I never even thought about the altitude affecting me. I should have considering I went skiing one year in Winter Park and passed out in the Ski shop. I remember that feeling and it sucks.
I do workout 3 days a week so that may help me some as you said but it still may not be enough for 10 to 14,000 feet.
Cant wait to get out there and get you guys to go on a ride-a-long a day or 2.
Untill then Im gonna have to put the push-up's back in the freezer and mabye hit the fitness center 4-5 days a week. .......nah

------------------

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.