Sell '05WR for two older XR's?

Hey guys, don't bite my head off, but yes, I've always been a Yamaha owner/lover, but have never had any dislike for the all powerful XR. Anyway, I've been thinking about selling my bike and getting a dual sport or supermoto so I can have fun riding to work, and still have a dirt bike.

I came acrossed a deal where I could get a street legal '95 XR600 and a '96 XR400, which the owner claims are in good shape, both for about the same $$ I could get for my current bike. Am I crazy in thinking this is a good idea? I have a girlfriend who would be stoked if I had a bike for her to ride when we go out to the desert, and I want a dual sport anyway, two birds with one stone, right?

So, are these things really that bulletproof to where I won't regret getting older bikes, provided they appear to be in good shape?

Hey guys, don't bite my head off, but yes, I've always been a Yamaha owner/lover, but have never had any dislike for the all powerful XR. Anyway, I've been thinking about selling my bike and getting a dual sport or supermoto so I can have fun riding to work, and still have a dirt bike.

I came acrossed a deal where I could get a street legal '95 XR600 and a '96 XR400, which the owner claims are in good shape, both for about the same $$ I could get for my current bike. Am I crazy in thinking this is a good idea? I have a girlfriend who would be stoked if I had a bike for her to ride when we go out to the desert, and I want a dual sport anyway, two birds with one stone, right?

So, are these things really that bulletproof to where I won't regret getting older bikes, provided they appear to be in good shape?

sounds to me like a good deal. the 600 is a killer bike, and the 400 would be a bonus getting the girl friend involved. that means more riding for you!? not only that but parts are everywhere.

I know, it seems pretty good to me too, I'm just scared I'm going to regret it, like I sold an awesome bike to step back to the stone ages. Has much changed on these bikes in years since?

The XR has plenty of power, maybe not the explosive ripping kind of power that your WR has though. The down side is the suspension is dated and the extra weight. The last major change on the XR600 was the cartidge forks in 91. The strong point on the XR's are the reliability.

I used to ride with a guy on a 06 WR450. He could totally smoke me in the whoops. He had a hard time keeping up on the dirt roads or lake beds.

The XR has plenty of power, maybe not the explosive ripping kind of power that your WR has though. The down side is the suspension is dated and the extra weight. The last major change on the XR600 was the cartidge forks in 91. The strong point on the XR's are the reliability.

I used to ride with a guy on a 06 WR450. He could totally smoke me in the whoops. He had a hard time keeping up on the dirt roads or lake beds.

So, the forks on the bikes I am looking at would be the newer ones anyway. Now, as far as the extra weight, are you comparing that to my WR, or to a newer XR? I realize an XR would be heavier than my WR.

So, the forks on the bikes I am looking at would be the newer ones anyway. Now, as far as the extra weight, are you comparing that to my WR, or to a newer XR? I realize an XR would be heavier than my WR.

the old 600 and 400 bikes are pretty much the same as the newer ones. the 600 is a little lighter than my 650L, and your WR is LIGHTER yet!

If it was me I would not do it.

I would save all my lunch money and buy a plated XR400 or XR250 that you could ride to work during the week and let the GF ride it on the weekends.

My brother found a super clean plated 96 XR440 with all the goodies for $2,200.00.

If you bleed blue.......this is a great bike for the GF and an ok street bike

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/mcy/368538475.html

One more thing my buddy bought a plated 99 WR400 for $2500 and it still has the original chain and sprocket on it

Thanks for checking that out for me! I wouldn't say I bleed blue though, in fact, I'd rather get an XR400 than that thing. Not much a fan of the XT. I'd like something that actually looks good, has some power, and will look even better when I can afford an extra set of wheels for the supermoto look...

Oh, and I'm guessing my gf could learn to deal with the power of an XR400? I've never ridden one, but someone said it's not all that snappy?

If it was me I would not do it.

I would save all my lunch money and buy a plated XR400 or XR250 that you could ride to work during the week and let the GF ride it on the weekends.

My brother found a super clean plated 96 XR440 with all the goodies for $2,200.00.

The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. I love my WR. If I could find the type of deal you're talking about here, that would be awesome come bonus time!

It has been a long time scence i had been on a bike and i have been riding a xr650r. they are powerfull but not snappy. now i have never rode a 400 but as long as it is a 4 stroke with out to many mods i would just put her in a open feild for a while.

it sounds like u are getting quite the deal. inless u planned on buying new a older xr wont hurt. built like a tank

Well, I talked to the guy yesterday, nice guy! I don't think this deal is for me right now, I'm thinking of keeping the WR, and maybe finding a plated XR400. Someone suggested it's still possible to get my WR plated in CA too, but I'm leary. Anyway, if anyone knows someone who'd be interested in this guy's bikes, let me know, I have his number. I think the bikes are '95 XR600 (plated), and a '96 XR400 (not plated), both for $4600, and he's willing to split. He's in Southern CA.